HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Question
Dual Rates or EPA?

Back in the day I was told never to use my EPA (End Point Adjustment) to limit the throw of my servos. Supposedly, that made the travel coarse. I was always told to use Dual Rates to adjust servo travel. The question is: Has this changed with today's radios or is EPA still inappropriate for adjusting servo travel?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:03 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
15,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Back in the day I was told never to use my EPA (End Point Adjustment) to limit the throw of my servos. Supposedly, that made the travel coarse. I was always told to use Dual Rates to adjust servo travel. The question is: Has this changed with today's radios or is EPA still inappropriate for adjusting servo travel?
EPA is the primary way of adjusting travel, though D/R has similar effects.

I adjust full travel mechanically with D/R and EPA set to 100%. If necessary, I adjust EPA to reduce maximum travel (e.g., when any reasonable mechanical setup still gives too much throw). I then set low rate to about 70%. That's my starting point for test flying.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Mechanically correct set up is best overall, to adjust remaining under or overthrow use EPA.
Dual Rates are then used to provide for adjustable (switched) high and low speed flight.
please refer to:
EPA, ATV, Dual Rates & Expo Differences & Caution + ESC BEC Set Up
more under
"FAQ = Answers for Beginners and Advanced RC'ers" &
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.