Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:30 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Suggestion
Allow users to edit their warned posts, man!

From Jim Bourke about an appeal I recently made:
Quote:
The next time you get an infraction it will save us time if you just edit your post. Once you edit your post the warning point goes away.
Yeah, sure, except that some mod or other had already yanked my ability to edit the warned post long before I got to the appeals process.

What is happening to this board? Why is it that the moderators are handing out points like they are going out of style? How is it that the requests for appeals are suddenly coming at an alarming rate? Is it possible that the moderators are the ones spinning out of control?

Let's hope cooler heads can prevail here. This is supposed to be a meeting place for adults to discuss matters in an adult fashion. The moderators can't expect to simply mandate an exacting standard of speech or presentation amongst the zillions of users here, and they can't expect to divine the intent of users' posts by exceedingly narrow interpretations of the ever-changing rules of the site, either.

I dislike what is happening here. This is my favorite R/C site, and I'd hate to lose it to well meaning but narrow-minded moderators who can't relax long enough to appreciate a decent turn of phrase or outlandish presentation of an idea. You know, not every statement that somehow causes shock amongst the tenderest of sensibilities is actually meant as insult, nor should such expressions be pounded into the mud as has been happening the last few months. What is this, Dear Gabby?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:46 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,241 Posts
We appreciate your input. Moderators usually only take away editing privileges when a user is asked to edit their posts and the edit still contains a rule infraction. It is the job of the moderators to enforce the site rules. You can find our site rules here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/wlist.php
Please take time to read them.
You can always appeal any warning you get if you feel the warned post does not break a site rule. After reviewing your warnings it looks like the majority of them are personal attacks. I would refrain from anything close to an attack in the future. This may solve all your issues.
I hoped this helped.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:21 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Well, not really. As I have explained in the past, a statement of fact does not constitute a personal attack.

For instance, the reason this site as well as others has a killfile system is because there are members whose posts you simply don't want to bother with. Why is this? Because you've already read enough of a particular member to know that what he has to say is simply not worth reading. This is not a personal attack against some member or other; it is a statement of fact that I as a user have made the (somewhat subjective, but nonetheless valid) determination that a particular user's posts are not worth the time it takes to read them.

How then can I draw fire from the moderators for stating that I am using the killfile facility of the site for its intended purpose? How is this a personal attack? If I state a fact I get a point for it? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

This is just an example of the kinds of moderator over-reach that has been going on here for months now. A lot of very vocal and well-informed contributors have been complaining about the problem. Perhaps it's time for the moderators to take a look at their own behavior and perhaps ferret out some inconsistencies therein. Eh?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:49 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,241 Posts
Please feel free to appeal any points you don't think break site rules and thanks for the input. We are always evaluating our moderation system and appreciate your input.
Jim T. Graham is offline Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator