SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:53 AM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,966 Posts
Question
haven't flown an rc plane in 4 years. am i flight worthy?

i have been using the simulator g3 6.0 and its a breeze. BUT still im throwing this thread out there maybe someone has had a similar experience.

my past experience in planes:
-3 hours real flight g35
-parkzone spitfire 12 successful flights, weak tail kinks easily)
-sapac eurofighter edf (7 flights then trade for heli, FUN, but waay too much tinkering)
-bananahobby eurofighter edf (over 15 successful flights, i was dared to fly at night and was offered a replacement should anything go wrong, flight lasted 3-4 min lol not bad)

note: all planes were belly landers. ive never landed on wheels in real life.

is it safe to say i should be able to handle an aerobatic 3d plane? 60" WS electric 5s.
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:09 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Should be good.
Low rates and daytime only...
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Well, I'm going to give my opinion because you asked. NO!

I am quite sure you'll do it anyway. Most folks that ask this kind of question have already made up their mind and are just looking for someone, even us strangers, ANYONE to provide the excuse to do it. There are exceptions, but I don't know you or your capabilities. Even with some experience, that is a pretty big jump. You have bought/ordered it, right? Good Luck!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:25 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,471 Posts
I'd have to agree with dkrhardy. If you have to ask then you are already aware the answer which is probably no.

I'm just getting back into the sport myself after a 20 year hiatus. I've well over 200 hours stick time flying both gliders and high wing electric trainers. In no way shape or form do I think I'm ready to fly anything other than those, without an experienced pilot next to me.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post

is it safe to say i should be able to handle an aerobatic 3d plane? 60" WS electric 5s.
Do you want to really get back into the hobby, or are you just having a bit of fun? What are you going to do if you crash it on its first flight? Are you going to quit and say never again? If you don't care, fly it. If you want to develop back into the hobby, find someone to trim it out, test fly and give you a bit of help.
Disarray is offline Find More Posts by Disarray
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Well, I'm going to give my opinion because you asked. NO!

I am quite sure you'll do it anyway. Most folks that ask this kind of question have already made up their mind and are just looking for someone, even us strangers, ANYONE to provide the excuse to do it. There are exceptions, but I don't know you or your capabilities. Even with some experience, that is a pretty big jump. You have bought/ordered it, right? Good Luck!
Don
you are absolutely RIGHT! im definitely going to fly it. as far as my capabilities mr dkrhardy, im capable. would you agree that flying an rc plane becomes a 2nd nature?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarray View Post
Do you want to really get back into the hobby, or are you just having a bit of fun? What are you going to do if you crash it on its first flight? Are you going to quit and say never again? If you don't care, fly it. If you want to develop back into the hobby, find someone to trim it out, test fly and give you a bit of help.
i wouldn't be too upset if i crash it. just build another one. im really getting into the hobby. theres no point giving up IMO. thanks
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Should be good.
Low rates and daytime only...
yes sir!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:17 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,566 Posts
I flew allsorts ... gliders, pylon race, scale, helicopters etc. for about 20yrs .... then stopped in mid 90's ...

I returned to the hobby only about 3yrs ago ... so that was a long period away ....

My return to RC was an RTF ME109 ..... which only retired out about 6 months ago.
I now fly EDF, Hk Parkjet which on it's maiden flight hit 222 kph !! ... aerobatic biplanes, Cessna etc. and Trex 450 clones.

Did it come back like riding a bike ? First flight was unsteady but surprisingly the 'feel' came back quickly.
Did I use a sim to do it ? No ... I actually bought the sim after my return maiden flight.

Good luck to original poster ....
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I flew allsorts ... gliders, pylon race, scale, helicopters etc. for about 20yrs .... then stopped in mid 90's ...

I returned to the hobby only about 3yrs ago ... so that was a long period away ....

My return to RC was an RTF ME109 ..... which only retired out about 6 months ago.
I now fly EDF, Hk Parkjet which on it's maiden flight hit 222 kph !! ... aerobatic biplanes, Cessna etc. and Trex 450 clones.

Did it come back like riding a bike ? First flight was unsteady but surprisingly the 'feel' came back quickly.
Did I use a sim to do it ? No ... I actually bought the sim after my return maiden flight.

Good luck to original poster ....
congratulations on that! i just maidened today and it was a breeze! thanks for your input people!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of stock View Post
congratulations on that! i just maidened today and it was a breeze! thanks for your input people!
A BIG congrats.

We all knew you could do it

They say bigger planes are easier to fly...

Good luck, Bart
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
A BIG congrats.

We all knew you could do it

They say bigger planes are easier to fly...

Good luck, Bart
thanks a mill. i was nervous! im shocked i dint have any wet spots lol
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:09 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,448 Posts
Planes like that are easy to fly because they fly really well. So if you take the time to make sure it's all set up right and go easy on the controls, you can learn a plane like that in a few flights. Problem is... they are not very crashable., a 60-inch plane hits pretty hard at any speed.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Planes like that are easy to fly because they fly really well. So if you take the time to make sure it's all set up right and go easy on the controls, you can learn a plane like that in a few flights. Problem is... they are not very crashable., a 60-inch plane hits pretty hard at any speed.
jasmine if this is you, i dont have your number. my phone slid off the roof my car. (my apologies if this isnt the jazzy j i know)

yes absolutely! this plane is too easy it scares me lol.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
My name is Don, that is why I posted it. I am very surprised you did that well, but good on ya!

Did you in fact maiden that 60" plane, or something else? Details, my man, details!

BTW, where are you. As in what country? I have not seen you here, so you are new to me.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Last edited by dkrhardy; Feb 24, 2012 at 09:36 AM.