SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:58 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Discussion
ALES scoring programs!

This is great, now, People interested don't have to wade thru 2500 posts to find what they want to know. This thread is just to find out what scoring programs are being used and where we can get them! That it!

Al
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
260 Posts
We've been using a spread sheet available at tailwind gliders. very easy to use.

Mark
Mark Anderson is online now Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:38 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
saved to put all the progam links

I am saving this post to place all the links! in no order!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1587695&page=2

http://www.soarchicago.net/News_View.aspx?Articleid=17

http://olgol.com/F3KScore/index.html

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1571530

http://olgol.com/F3KScore/index.html

http://www.rcsoftware.cz/

http://www.gliderscore.com/

I think I added all the links to scoring programs in one post to make it easy to get them all! Just find the one that works for you and lets go flying!

http://tailwindgliders.com/Files.html#Articles

Al
Last edited by alstrahm; Apr 08, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Mark, I have seen it, I use another one, I just want one place for new ALES guys to go to get what they need to make it happen!

Al
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:05 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Anderson View Post
We've been using a spread sheet available at tailwind gliders. very easy to use.

Mark
Thanks Mark! Suggestions are always appreciated.

You can find the spreadsheet (file) at www.TailwindGliders.com on the "Articles/Files" page of the website.

I wrote an article for RCSD as well please make sure you read the article as it explains what it does and what it does not do. i.e. the limitations it has.

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
260 Posts
Al, which one are you using? You don't answer your own question.

Mark
Mark Anderson is online now Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:52 AM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
Mark, I use this one,

Al
Last edited by alstrahm; Feb 23, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:30 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
Mark, I use this one,

Al

Where does this one come from Al? Did you write it or?
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:19 PM
AMA 3959
Joined Oct 2002
1,461 Posts
MrE, no, I did not write it! This, as I understand it is what is used at the NATS and all the clubs on the other coast doing ALES. Easy to use, and I want to know what everybody else is using! You can just open it and go to "imputs" to see who developed it.

Al
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:14 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,604 Posts
Gerry Carter has updated his GliderScore program to include scoring landings in accordance with our ALES rules. It can be downloaded from:

This program has immense capability to deal with not only straight-away ALES contests, but whatever variations one can imagine.

It is a standalone (not spreadsheet based) program and IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO SCREW IT UP. It is used worldwide for scoring virtually every kind of glider contest and is very well documented and supported.

IT IS VERY SIMPLE TO USE.

That said, it will keep a permanent entrant data base, a contest data base, it will score series standings and it can furnish database files to share with other users.

For all practical purposes it will allow any number of contestants, any number of rounds and any number of flight groups. It has a very sophisticated method of creating flight group matrices -- and of furnishing various views of how effectively contestants' encounters with each other are mixed. It runs multiple iterations of the matrices and selects the best one. It will take into account frequency conflicts in creating the matrices. And it will accommodate teams and team scoring and, if desired, throw-out rounds.

It will print out generic or personalized score cards and it will furnish current standings reports at any time during a competition. And for entrants who include their email addresses on their entry form, it will email results immediately after the competition is closed.

It will also score F5J comps without any fuss.

And when it is all done, it can furnish competition data in a format which can be analyzed to study flight time and landing score history to help understand the absolute and relative difficulties of those competition elements.

As powerful as it is, it can also be used on a small scale requiring the entry of simply the contest name, date and location, the task description (Duration), the landing description (choice from an editable "drop down box"), the entrants' names and radio frequencies and the number of rounds and flight groups desired. It can print the flight matrix for the contest and contestants can simply enter their Round Number, Flight Group Number, Flight Time and Landing Score with a magic marker on the discarded page of an old Funk and Wagnalls Dictionary for direct entry by a score keeper.

This program is well worth a look -- especially for those who might be contemplating Regional Comp Series like California's SC2 Series. This package will do it all -- from simple Wednesday Nite club Comps to extended series and inter-club competition series.

Give it a try.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:21 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
616 Posts
Scoring

The Arizona Electric Soaring Group is using gliderscore. It takes a while to figure out some of the options, but after a couple of contests all becomes clear.
I notice there is an update available, I hope I don't have to learn it all over again!

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:54 PM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
Tulsa, OK
Joined May 2004
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
The Arizona Electric Soaring Group is using gliderscore. It takes a while to figure out some of the options, but after a couple of contests all becomes clear.
I notice there is an update available, I hope I don't have to learn it all over again!

Iain
The only change that effects ALES is to select whether landing scores are normalized WITH flights or are added AFTER normalizing flights.

Gerry has been very generous in making program changes to accommodate our ALES format.

Happy Landings,

Don
dharban is online now Find More Posts by dharban
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,417 Posts
Ive been playing with all the different versions listed so far and I think I will use Glider Score for our clubs first ALES contest - which should be sometime next month.

I like the fact that it saves the pilot info and the other database functions. I also like the way is "seeds" so that all pilots get to fly against the max number of other pilots. This seems to me to be the fairest way to do it.

I'll let you all know how I like it after a field trial
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:49 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharban View Post
Gerry Carter has updated his GliderScore program to include scoring landings in accordance with our ALES rules. It can be downloaded from:

This program has immense capability to deal with not only straight-away ALES contests, but whatever variations one can imagine.

It is a standalone (not spreadsheet based) program and IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO SCREW IT UP. It is used worldwide for scoring virtually every kind of glider contest and is very well documented and supported.

IT IS VERY SIMPLE TO USE.

That said, it will keep a permanent entrant data base, a contest data base, it will score series standings and it can furnish database files to share with other users.

For all practical purposes it will allow any number of contestants, any number of rounds and any number of flight groups. It has a very sophisticated method of creating flight group matrices -- and of furnishing various views of how effectively contestants' encounters with each other are mixed. It runs multiple iterations of the matrices and selects the best one. It will take into account frequency conflicts in creating the matrices. And it will accommodate teams and team scoring and, if desired, throw-out rounds.

It will print out generic or personalized score cards and it will furnish current standings reports at any time during a competition. And for entrants who include their email addresses on their entry form, it will email results immediately after the competition is closed.

It will also score F5J comps without any fuss.

And when it is all done, it can furnish competition data in a format which can be analyzed to study flight time and landing score history to help understand the absolute and relative difficulties of those competition elements.

As powerful as it is, it can also be used on a small scale requiring the entry of simply the contest name, date and location, the task description (Duration), the landing description (choice from an editable "drop down box"), the entrants' names and radio frequencies and the number of rounds and flight groups desired. It can print the flight matrix for the contest and contestants can simply enter their Round Number, Flight Group Number, Flight Time and Landing Score with a magic marker on the discarded page of an old Funk and Wagnalls Dictionary for direct entry by a score keeper.

This program is well worth a look -- especially for those who might be contemplating Regional Comp Series like California's SC2 Series. This package will do it all -- from simple Wednesday Nite club Comps to extended series and inter-club competition series.

Give it a try.

Happy Landings,

Don
Don, I cant figure out how to get the program (I have 6.35) into ALES scoring mode. Ive clicked on every thing I cant think of and no go. On line it says to expand ALES on the side menu, but where is the side menu?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:07 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,417 Posts
Don, I think I figured it out. I read your article on the ALES Yahoo site and it seems to work as it should as far as scoring landing points.

Your instructions do not seem to be the same as whats on the Glider Score web page. I cant make it work by following the web page instructions and no ALES scoring options show up as is shown on the Glider Score ALES page.

thanks for all your hard work by the way