HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Help!
HK DG-1000 w/scale pilots

After much on again off again feelings and reading as much as possible about HK sailplanes and being tired of foam I purchased this model today.

There only slopes I have are sand dunes at the beach unfortunately the dunes are off limits to people on foot. So it will be a flat lander.

I assume its not going to be a great thermal ship.

I am hoping a good high start will be usable but may have to add motor via a pod ot sawing off the nose. (no access to a winch or tow plane)

I know I will need help choosing motor, props and pods. If anyone has done this and is flying any scale HK "fiberglass" sailplane I would like to read your comments
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:45 PM
Killingworth CT
Joined Nov 2008
2,532 Posts
Check with the guys here
www.RcAerotowing.com/forums.

I'm think I remember seeing someone did that.
Lbuff1 is offline Find More Posts by Lbuff1
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:26 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Although the FlyFly version is not exactly the same as the HK version (well I'm assuming that because I know the ASW28's and Salto's are slightly different) they're very similar so this spec for the electric FlyFly DG1000 may help you with your selection of power train

http://www.flyflyhobby.com/products_...e54e00154.html
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
thanks

thanks for the links they are very helpful
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
it arrived!

All of you that may be reluctant about purchasing this sailplane due to shipping damage FEAR NOT. Mine arrived after only 8 days of waiting. Double boxed, padding wrapped around all major parts and all parts bagged. Positively the best packing job I have seen and that includes major US distributors including Hobby-Lobby, Horizon and Tower. This is the first model out of dozens from the above distributors that had NO damage, none, Nada...fantastic!
QUALITY is great for the money. one very small wrinkle in one wing (compared to major wrinkles from the other guys). And as expected the vertical fin leans a small amount (expected and should be an easy fix).
My only complaint is ,as expected no instructions. If anyone knows of a source for instructions please let me know, otherwise I will write instructions as I go and furnish them (right or wrong) to Hobby King.

Also as an immediate unknown it looks like the maximum flap angle is 20 degrees or so. I am used to almost 90 degrees of flap on my Radian Pro. This angle is limited by the bevel cut into the flaps. I know I could change this bevel requiring re-hinging but maybe 20 degrees is enough.
The rest of my concerns occur because after years of not kit or scratch building I have become used to pre-drilled holes for control horns and push rod exits, no problem if you use a new high carbon drill bit.

While on the subject of control horns the ones included are nylon and seem rather good. The push rod and tube are excellent.

Looking forward to assembling this model. Wish HK made a power pod for it.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:40 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
My only complaint is ,as expected no instructions. If anyone knows of a source for instructions please let me know, otherwise I will write instructions as I go and furnish them (right or wrong) to Hobby King.
Did you notice this posted on the HK website listing? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X415040X11.pdf
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ModelAero Polaris Ultra
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:51 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post

There only slopes I have are sand dunes at the beach unfortunately the dunes are off limits to people on foot.
If you are permitted to access the beach at the foot of the dunes, you can still slope them standing at the bottom instead of the top. It's great fun in fact, as you usually find yourself standing in zero wind conditions when doing so. You need a hard toss or a highstart to get the glider out into the lift zone.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:30 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
thanks

Thanks for the instruction sheet link and the sand dune idea.
My main purpose for getting this plane was for something other than foam and since you have to fly it fast I hope to improve my skill level from the ho-hum challenge of the Radian Pro to the point where I can start scratch building again and have a reasonable hope of getting it past the maiden. This is a cheap way to get into scale. Well sort of scale...never saw any sailplane with a fin as thick as this one, scaled up it would be about 24 inches thick. Anyway I am well pleased thit model is far better than expected we will see how well it flies....or not.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
second look

OK I haven't started build yet but inspection of model is complete.
Problems to solve:
1. Canopy attachment is going to be a nightmare but I think sonvable. I will have to construct some sort of frame to stiffen things up.

2. Aileron and flap deflection. Flaps and ailerons as received are about 15 to 20 degrees down. Probably OK for ailerons but not enough for flaps.
A) to cut better bevel will have to recover wings which is find because ASM (the manufacturer) evidently had a hard time getting existing covering to stick. It looks like the shine has been rubbed off.

B) if I leave it alone then the deflection may not be enough for good flaps or roll rate. Comments?

3. No pull string for elevator servo in the fin. Thinking of going pull pull for Rudder. It looks like that is how the fuse was designed but they included a metal push rod and tubing for the rudder Its will be as difficult to snake in the fuse as the pull pull strings.

4. Need to research on where and if to install high start hook. Wonder if my standard will get it up . 5 pounds.

5. Need to build a power pod since I cannot find one online. Need to calculate prop and motor size to give good climb. Been looking at the ducted fan pod but Nitro planes are always out of stock. I am NOT cutting off the nose!