HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Feb 2012
44 Posts
Discussion
parkzone Vs Airfield?

i saw a thread from this earlier. but no post said anything about the quality of the planes?

which company do you think offer a better product?

from what i can tell they are identical except for price and from pics the airfield seems to look better to the eye?
Rdizz81 is offline Find More Posts by Rdizz81
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:23 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
parkzone offers a better product.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:07 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Parkzone is well engineered and tested, you can expect an excellent flyer right out of the box and have impeccable customer service and replacement parts for the foreseeable future.

Airfield has virtually no customer service and not only are replacement parts availability short-lived and spotty, but entire products lines seem to disappear as soon as they sell out. If you do your research to avoid the real dogs and are an experienced pilot/builder, you can squeeze out a nice plane.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,423 Posts
+ Infinity
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Everyone has heard of ParkZone planes. I've never heard of Airfield.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:00 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFlyZone View Post
Everyone has heard of ParkZone planes. I've never heard of Airfield.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/airfield.html

Not a recommendation, just a reference.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:22 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
I have both planes. The Parkzone has the Horizon product support behind it and a plane with a long history of being a reliable plane. It's well understood and simple mods are easy. It is easily repaired and replacement parts are plentiful but it's a pretty basic aileron trainer. I have modified mine with a more powerful motor, new ESC and flaps. Retracts can be installed but it's not a quick upgrade. It requires quite a bit of work to package the nose gear. It uses a 3S 2200 with ease and with a little carving of foam you can fly it with a 3000 mah 3S. I bought mine when it first came out and bought two of them. I still have one NIB. The white and red version is the easiest to see.

Airfield is sold by Nitroplanes. The T28 and other warbirds in the product line have incredible detail. It's bigger and comes with flaps, servoless retracts, air brake and some versions have lighting installed. It operates off a 4S lipo and because the battery is located on the CG you can fly it with a 2650 mah and up to 4000 mah pack.

Nitroplanes has a batch of them but like they typically do, it will sell out and the parts will be a problem. However, replacement parts are available from RC Castle and PW-RC in China. The planes are FMS planes rebranded as Airfield.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,667 Posts
For the most part Airfield are FMS planes...Nitroplanes re-brands FMS to put their name on them...as I understand it the relationship between NP and FMS is over. Word on the street is that NP will still sell planes under the Airfield brand but it is not clear who will actually be making the planes.

I own one of the 800mm planes, and have the Stuka that should be on my doorstep when I get home. I can tell you that the 800mm sky raider BLOWS PZ out of the water in terms of detail. As to flying it likes to be flown pretty fast, but has no bad trates other then that. I also have the FMS He 123 and it is a fantastic plane...and again the detail is so far past PZ it is not fair to look at them side by side.

For me I have no loyality to any brand, I own a PZ 109,corsair and F4F..and they get A LOT of flight time. And I also say that are out of the box the best and the most easy planes to get in the air.....but....PZ has a few dogs nipping at their heals Durafly, FMS to name just a few. I will be intrested in how this Stuka works out as well as the HE 123 over the long haul.

Foam has come A LONG WAY in just the past few years....as to the better product, if looking at the PZ F4F vs the Airfield/FMS Sky Raider (only thing I have that is close in size) it is a toss up as to flying...as to the detail FMS all the way.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,230 Posts
I love my PZ Stinson Reliant, that said I added a Park BEC to the stock speed control after a suspected browout crash with 5 servos (flaps) The rudder servo died, replaced it with an HS-55.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:12 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,797 Posts
I couldn't get enough of the PZ planes and having most of them and the new Spitfire has been my last as i've now gone over to Durafly made by hobbyking because they have a better deal as far as i'm concerned,cheaper model,more detail as in flaps,lights and even retracts all in the same deal.
Don't get me wrong if PZ bring out a plane i like and want i'll buy it but it's just the Durafly range seem to be going full steam ahead.

Take a look at the Duafly T-28 and look at the reviews under the price tag you will see one bloke said he put his Durafly T-28 next to his PZ one and it made the PZ one look cheap (his words not mine) and the quality is realy high,but you make up your own mind,i'm only saying what i've read and seen out of the planes i have.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I've owned and still own many Parkzone planes. The motors in them are truly aweful. The ESC's aren't too hot either. The servos appear to be OK from my experience. I've never owned an Airfield but I've seen one. It looked terrific but had weak plastic retractable gear and servos that appear to me to be too small for the model. The motor seemed better to me than the Parkzones the and ESC was about the same.

In short, I think the models are fairly comparable. The service and support, of course, are not even in the same ball park.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,667 Posts
I always find the "service and support" comments a little funny. What is support? I have been doing this off and on for 16+ years, if something gets broken I order a new one...as to the rest? Parts from china are a week and a half away, parts ordered from horizon about the same...and if you order from your LHS...well you are at their schedule....nope in this day and age the better plane will win...service and support has more to do with who is selling the plane, then the plane itself.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:47 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I always find the "service and support" comments a little funny. What is support? I have been doing this off and on for 16+ years, if something gets broken I order a new one...as to the rest? Parts from china are a week and a half away, parts ordered from horizon about the same...and if you order from your LHS...well you are at their schedule....nope in this day and age the better plane will win...service and support has more to do with who is selling the plane, then the plane itself.
I have not had to use Horizon service too many times, but they have done very well nearly 100% of the time when I did.

My H9 Pawnee .46 arrived with a damaged right wing panel (hidden damage that did not show up until the model was unpacked and unwrapped. A call to Horizon with an explanation of the problem and I had a replacment wing panel in my hands 4 days later, no charge.

Have had sterling service with Horizon on a few radio repairs and replaced Rx units, as well...very fast and often no charge when they could have charged for the work or replacement.

Airfield models from Nitroplanes simply does not compare in service and support through Nitroplanes. I have been pretty lucky with my NP purchases and only had one damaged model from shipping and no faulty electronics.

The best way to get Nitroplanes or BH to handle service issues is to post the issue on their support forums here and on RCU. Posting a picture of the issue in these support forums with a clear simple explanation of what you want, with minimun anger and abuse often gets good results, where you get nothing via phone calls or emails. I posted a picture of my broken fiberglass fuselage on a NP model and I had a new replacement about a week later.

Perhaps you like to pay for warranty replacement parts, but I kind of prefer that the manufacturer covers it...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Quote:
I always find the "service and support" comments a little funny. What is support? I have been doing this off and on for 16+ years, if something gets broken I order a new one...as to the rest?
Pretty short-sighted if you don't consider people without 16 years experience.

What is support, let see:

As an adult I wanted to fulfill a old childhood dream of flying RC. Looked online, watched some NP videos and pulled the trigger. It was supposed to be a good beginner plane (BF 109, yeah I know, I'll give you a second to stop laughing) and was everything I needed in a RTF box. I called thinking a part was missing, since there was no way to power the charger and after having to confirm my purchase, they couldn't even tell me how to charge the battery, except I need to order an AC adapter. When of course, I crashed it, I couldn't get any replacement parts.

I could have easily walked away from the hobby then and there. Luckily, I ended up giving it another go with a Pz UMT-28 and now myself and my two sons thoroughly enjoy the hobby, flying planes and helis, as well as building free flight.

On the other hand, the one time I needed help with a PZ plane, Horizon talked me through dismantling and cleaning a servo and sent me a new one free of charge, never asking for a receipt, purchase date, where I bought it, etc. They just wanted to get me back in the air. More importantly, I can get any part off the wall of almost any LHS.

Since then, I've spent well over $1500 on Horizon products, exactly zero on Nitro.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Last edited by ausf; Feb 24, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
509 Posts
Quote:
Word on the street is that NP will still sell planes under the Airfield brand but it is not clear who will actually be making the planes.
If that is true, is the current Airfield lineup going to disappear, such as the 1400mm series F4U, P40, P51, etc?
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05