SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:15 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
Discussion
Castle Creations Multi Rotor Firmware is Out

Castle Creations now has Multi Rotor firmware for the Phoenix and ICE ESCís.
http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads.html

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
YES!

I can finally stop paying $25 for ESCs that work and I can now pay $50 x6 for ESCs that work!

I am so excited!!!!!

okay sarcasm aside, this is a good thing. hopefully they will take the place of the hobbywing reflashed ESCs for max performance
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:11 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
It’s for those who want the most reliable high end ESC with data logging for those expensive multi rotors. Just remember that the cheaper Thunderbird ESC’s will NOT work with the HF boards.

Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:41 AM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
I am trying to confirm this. I worked with Castle to test their ESC firmware. I am not sure these are in the latest Castle Link. I have an email out and will let you know when it is confirmed.
photronix is offline Find More Posts by photronix
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
HF and other boards send signals to escs way past 100 hz. Will this CC accept orders at such speed or it will burn like an analog servo played from a digital output?
elossam is offline Find More Posts by elossam
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elossam View Post
HF and other boards send signals to escs way past 100 hz. Will this CC accept orders at such speed or it will burn like an analog servo played from a digital output?

CC ESCís (even with the old firmware) will not have a problem with very high input frame rates. Itís just that the sampling of the input register is limited. CC has said that the motor wonít respond any faster so there is no real works benefit by sampling faster.

The problem is that we really donít know how the internal logic of other ESCís work so itís hard to make a valid comparison.

I have flown with the old firmware and it does work so I assume that the new firmware will be even better since they now have an option thatís specifically designed to work with multi rotor helicopters. I no longer have the ESCís available so I canít test it myself.

Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2005
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photronix View Post
I am trying to confirm this. I worked with Castle to test their ESC firmware. I am not sure these are in the latest Castle Link. I have an email out and will let you know when it is confirmed.
Al

Is HF going to test out this firmware release and give us all a recommendation on whether or not this is worth it in respect to HFP and Sport performance?

Thanks

Mark
Blue Collar is offline Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
Ok. Here is a brief update.

No the old castle firmware will not fly well with any flight controller. They needed to make some changes. I have a testing setup that measures the quality of the overall ESC performance. I worked with them on this new update.

The option is in the Vehicle Type drop-down box on the Throttle page.† You will have to upgrade the firmware first to make this option available.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:27 AM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
Btw I have flown it yet
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photronix View Post
Btw I have flown it yet
And?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
Al Ducharme
Orlando, FL
Joined Jan 2005
734 Posts
Try the fw. I'll try to test fly soon.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:37 AM
Great White North
Joined Jun 2008
648 Posts
Any word so far??

I am setting up a quad with it. Whats with all the warnings when you select the multirotor option with the pc software???

Looks like if you crash with it before you have time to zero throttle, the esc will fry - can you comment if the warnings are overrated ??? Should we be increasing current sensitivity to safeguard somewhat regarding these current spikes???

Al
alros_100 is offline Find More Posts by alros_100
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
Trenton, NJ
Joined May 2008
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Any word so far??

I am setting up a quad with it. Whats with all the warnings when you select the multirotor option with the pc software???

Looks like if you crash with it before you have time to zero throttle, the esc will fry - can you comment if the warnings are overrated ??? Should we be increasing current sensitivity to safeguard somewhat regarding these current spikes???

Al
Hi Al,
My Phoenix 25 ESC's are due to arrive either tomorrow or Thursday & will be immediately going into my WK-M quad. Please keep us posted on whatever you discover and I will do the same once I get them installed.
Tom
tkeeg is offline Find More Posts by tkeeg
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:32 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Vigersted
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeeg View Post
Hi Al,
My Phoenix 25 ESC's are due to arrive either tomorrow or Thursday & will be immediately going into my WK-M quad. Please keep us posted on whatever you discover and I will do the same once I get them installed.
Tom
Hi Tom,

did you get the Phoenix testet on the WKM ?

Lars
jetforce is offline Find More Posts by jetforce
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Feb 2006
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alros_100 View Post
Any word so far??

Al
That and the posibility of fry the ESC if the board has a special turn on signal the same that happened to me with the Herkules board. Looks like they run the firmware without filters for that or itīs a variable value that the users must test by himself with high risk.