Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,603 Posts
Question
Can you help with locating plans?

Hi folks,

I would like to ask for your help in locating plans (or kits) for the following ships:

the DAVID DOWS; a five-masted barkentine that used square sails on the foremast and fore and aft sails on the remaining four masts. She sailed on the Great Lakes and her maiden voyage was in May of 1881.

the LUCIA A. SIMPSON; a three-masted schooner that was built in 1875 and served as a lumber ship on the Great Lakes.

the U.S.S. MICHIGAN (later re-named the U.S.S. WOLVERINE in 1905); a three-masted ship, rigged as a barkentine and launched in 1843, she was the U.S. Navy's first iron-hulled ship. She also had two steam engines which worked two side paddlewheels in addition to the sails. She sailed the Great Lakes.

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:57 PM
N.E.N.C.
Joined Oct 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjoe View Post
Hi folks,

I would like to ask for your help in locating plans (or kits) for the following ships:

the DAVID DOWS; a five-masted barkentine that used square sails on the foremast and fore and aft sails on the remaining four masts. She sailed on the Great Lakes and her maiden voyage was in May of 1881.

the LUCIA A. SIMPSON; a three-masted schooner that was built in 1875 and served as a lumber ship on the Great Lakes.

the U.S.S. MICHIGAN (later re-named the U.S.S. WOLVERINE in 1905); a three-masted ship, rigged as a barkentine and launched in 1843, she was the U.S. Navy's first iron-hulled ship. She also had two steam engines which worked two side paddlewheels in addition to the sails. She sailed the Great Lakes.

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Joe
Hey Joe, try this site some one may be able to help you out
Cecil

http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/index.php
Cecil T is offline Find More Posts by Cecil T
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,603 Posts
Thank you, Cecil, for the lead. Much appreciated along with all those who have looked at my request. another idea I have is to find out what the name of the respective boatworks was for a given plan and see where that leads.

Joe
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:34 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,763 Posts
http://www.marylandsilver.com/Ship.htm has the mich/wolverine and a search of taubman plan site shows the lucia a simpson.. http://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/library/cac/page39533.html another good source
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Last edited by tghsmith; Mar 01, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:18 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,603 Posts
Thank you, tghsmith!! Lots of great information on those sites. I sure appreciate your help.

Joe