HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2012
397 Posts
Discussion
Flying for the First Time: a Question on Control

Rusty's frame quad, Hoverflypro board. Spectrum 8 TX/RX. I had the quad barely lifted off the ground. This was great. I was able to move the controls around to see how the vehicle would react. One thing I noticed is when inputting a control, once I let go of the stick, the input remains and the quad, for instance, remains tiltled. It does not return to neutral. I have to give it some opposite stick to level. Is this normal?
Also, when I lift off, it does move to the right. Am I correct in assuming, I need to trim the aqad, with the trim levers, once up in the air for normal stationary flight. Thanks Roman
rkenosha is offline Find More Posts by rkenosha
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:35 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,762 Posts
In normal mode flying with the green LED on the quad will remain tilted if you release the sticks. If you engage Auto Level and the blue light comes on the quad will then level off if you release the sticks. However you will need to set the trims in auto level mode for the quad on a calm day to remain in a relatively single spot. You need to read the manual and follow the instructions on how to set the Auto level trims.
Also if you havent flown much before be aware of ground effect having a negative impact on how your quad flies. You need to get 1 meter or more above the ground to start to get away from the ground effect turbulence created by the quads props.

You can use your trims to correct for the movement to the right however it would be best if you can have the quad not drift right in flight. You need to check that the motors are aligned correctly. Also check where your center of gravity is and check that your board is perfectly level in the quad and you have been through the temperature calibration processes in the setup software as per the manual.

Im sure Ive missed some other things here, others will be able to add more.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:28 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
stacky has you covered.... what you are experience is normal. Great to have a new multirotor flyer with success on his first flight.

adjust the gain on the acro mode first and then auto level. I tried to learn to fly auto level first and it was a mistake. It took me much longer to be able to control my quad. I actually broke the auto level acclerometer on my multiwii board and could only fly with gyros before I could really fly smoothly.

I now only use AL when i get into a harry situation....

good luck and have fun!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275