HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:43 AM
www.rcdude.com
JEFFRO503's Avatar
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Discussion
The big battery question : Zippy , Nano , Blue....5000mah 6S??

Been away for a little while guys and I am going to need to pick up another 6 - 8 5000 - 5500mah 6S packs here pretty soon for my little 70" Slick and 89" slick.....just wondering what your thoughts were on batteries now days?

I heard some people mention "Zen-ace" or something like that. I can't afford the $200-$300 TP packs or Hyperion packs for this size of a battery.....so I had been sticking with the 5000mah 30C zippy's before....but am willing to try something different if the power and price is good.

Looks like the prices are still about the same as they were about 1.5yrs ago.

Any advice on what you guys are running and are happy with now days?
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
Registered User
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,659 Posts
I like the Gensace from Hobbypartz.com personally. 95.00 for 6s 5300 30c. Also hear good things about Sky Lipos from Hobbypartz, 67.00 for the 5000 6s 30c. Haven't personally tried those though.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Eagle34's Avatar
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Gens Ace from Hobbypartz
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:56 AM
Registered User
FireyFate's Avatar
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Gens Ace are great batteries. I love the 5c charging rate, and the general consensus is they provide a more accurate C rating and better lifespan than Nano-Techs.

They are a little pricey in this size though. I've had good luck with the Sky and Blue lipos as well.
FireyFate is online now Find More Posts by FireyFate
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:01 AM
CHOO CHOO
6L6Amp's Avatar
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Of the ones you listed, I'd go with the Zippys. I've had good luck with mine. The Nanos and Blue Lipos that I've used have not lasted very long.
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:42 PM
www.rcdude.com
JEFFRO503's Avatar
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
Of the ones you listed, I'd go with the Zippys. I've had good luck with mine. The Nanos and Blue Lipos that I've used have not lasted very long.

Yeah , no problem at all.....as I am not brand specific by no means when it comes to batteries......I'd be willing to try anything as long as people on here say they are good. FWIW i was pretty happy with the Zippy FP packs although I lost one after about 5 cycles....it swelled up like a pop can.

I want to probably stay with a 30-35C I guess since the higher C batteries seem to gain a lot of weight as they move up the scale.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:44 PM
Shore Huckin'
KE Spin's Avatar
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,692 Posts
I have heard good things about Gens Ace and I'm currently using Sky lipos.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
www.rcdude.com
JEFFRO503's Avatar
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Dang!!.....them Gens ace batteries are sure a lot lighter than those zippy's I have. The specs seem really good for a $96.00 6S pack to. Looks like I may order these up here real soon.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:05 PM
Registered User
jsmith285's Avatar
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,701 Posts
Try these 76$

http://www.haiyinstore.com/compares....=225+&PID=226+
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:14 PM
Registered User
Dennis Everett's Avatar
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,595 Posts
Another option is the genesis from banana hobby , i have some of the 55c packs , and so far , are fine .
That being said , most of mine are the sky lipos from nitro planes , just this week bought some gens ace for my 59 slick that should be here tomorow ....
Dennis Everett is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:17 PM
Registered User
FireyFate's Avatar
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
Another option is the genesis from banana hobby , i have some of the 55c packs , and so far , are fine .
That being said , most of mine are the sky lipos from nitro planes , just this week bought some gens ace for my 59 slick that should be here tomorow ....
Those came out somewhat recently didn't they? Personally, I think I'd wait a bit longer and hear how they are lasting before buying such big batteries from them.
FireyFate is online now Find More Posts by FireyFate
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:31 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
marksextra's Avatar
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
What great timing on this subject. I'm in the same boat. 71" and 89".

I brought this up recently in another thread and it really comes down to personal preference as the actual evidence is usuallly lacking that one is better than the other. Especially since batteries are ranging in price from $45 to $200

You also have to ask what makes one battery better than another. On what criteria do we judge batteries? (besides it feels stronger)

Here are some that I think are important. 1. longevity 2. sustained power output. 3. Max charge rate 4. price 5. shipping times

What else do you guys think are important?

That said. I've had good luck with Zippy 6S 5000 30C packs. That's just me. I hear, with little actual evidence, that they may not have the life span of other packs or that they may sag toward the end of the flight. To me, if I can buy 2 or 3 for the price of another pack then I get to add all 3 lifespans together to compare it to the battery that was 2 or 3 times as expensive. And since I only fly to about 50-60% of the pack I rarely feel this lag some talk about. The only downside in Zippy's that I can see is no customer support and low charge rate. Price makes up for the first one as I can afford to toss a crappy pack if it's bad(which has never happened to me) and the charge rate is something that can be compensated for as you simply buy more packs cause they're cheap. All that said, I just ordered some Gen Ace to try because I'm bored with my current and reliable system.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Last edited by marksextra; Feb 22, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
www.rcdude.com
JEFFRO503's Avatar
Joined May 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
What great timing on this subject. I'm in the same boat. 71" and 89".

I brought this up recently in another thread and it really comes down to personal preference as the actual evidence is usuallly lacking that one is better than the other. Especially since batteries are ranging in price from $45 to $200

You also have to ask what makes one battery better than another. On what criteria do we judge batteries? (besides it feels stronger)

Here are some that I think are important. 1. longevity 2. sustained power output. 3. Max charge rate 4. price 5. shipping times

What else do you guys think are important?

That said. I've had good luck with Zippy 6S 5000 30C packs. That's just me. I hear, with little actual evidence, that they may not have the life span of other packs or that they may sag toward the end of the flight. To me, if I can buy 2 or 3 for the price of another pack then I get to add all 3 lifespans together to compare it to the battery that was 2 or 3 times as expensive. And since I only fly to about 50-60% of the pack I rarely feel this lag some talk about. The only downside in Zippy's that I can see is no customer support and low charge rate. Price makes up for the first one as I can afford to toss a crappy pack if it's bad(which has never happened to me) and the charge rate is something that can be compensated for as you simply buy more packs cause they're cheap. All that said, I just ordered some Gen Ace to try because I'm bored with my current and reliable system.

Right on Mark!! Yep....seems we are in the same boat exactly actually....70" slick ( you a 71" ) and both of us have an 89" Slick.

I have ( had ) 6 packs 5000mah 6S zippy's and then I lost one after about the 5th flight for some reason ( puffed like a marshmellow ).....so I'll stick with the remaining 5 for my little 70" slick and this big hurkin' 73" RC Charger Fuzion foamy I'm going to be getting. I think I'll pick up either 6 or 8 more packs of the Gens Ace and give them a try......and extra 300mah doesn't hurt either. They also seem to be about 4oz lighter than my zippy's....which is a good thing.

BTW Mark....what motor ESC setup you have going on in your slicks? On mine I have .....

89" Slick...
Neu 1521 1.5Y
CC HV160 V2
RX power.....2- Life-po 2100mah packs hooked to two Deans power poles ( no switches!)

70" Slick....( Blue with soon to be added RB graphics kit )
Hyperion ZS 4035 ( 354kv )..using Xoar 20X10 wood prop ( motor wasn't my first choice...but works very well.
1 - 1600mah life-po 2S pack ( can get about 8 hard flights before re-charge )

BTW....for this big 73" Fuzion I'm getting , I'm thinking about staying 6S on that as well and running the Hacker A60 Xs on it. It has a high KV for a motor that size ( 370kv ) and should rip a 20"-21" prop pretty well I think.

Also...thank to all you guys for getting me up to date on these newer batteries!!
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
Team Hillbilly (UK)
Space Bat's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Cambs
Joined Oct 2011
1,396 Posts
Has to be the Turnigy Nano's more bang for your buck by a country mile...
Space Bat is offline Find More Posts by Space Bat
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:56 PM
Once u go yak u never go back
marksextra's Avatar
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Sooo funny..

My current setup on my 89" slick...

89" Slick...
Neu 1521 1.5Y apc 24x12
CC HV160 V1
zippy.....2- Lipo 1300mah packs hooked to two Mircle/regulators going to 2 Optima 7rx's
Hitec 5945's on everything but the rudder Power HD 9150

I wanted just a little something more so I'm in the process of changing things up a bit..

My soon to be setup is

89" Slick...
Neu 1521 1.5Y Mejzlik 24x10th
CC HV160 V1
Gen Ace.....2- Lipo 2400mah packs hooked to 2 Xtreme Power Systems nano receivers direct.
4 Savox 1268tg's on HV and 1 JR8711 on HV(rudder)
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Last edited by marksextra; Feb 23, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Zippy Flightmax 6S 5000mAh 40C TF824 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 1 Oct 25, 2011 12:58 AM
Sold Zippy Flightmax 6s 45C 5000mah RCFEVER Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 5 Oct 21, 2011 07:28 AM
Sold Zippy 6s 5000mah 25c joshet89 Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 9 Sep 14, 2011 09:31 PM
Sold Zippy 6S 5000mah 30C Lipos ( two ) NEW! fltekdiver Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 2 Apr 16, 2011 05:17 PM
Sold Zippy Flightmax 6s 20c 5000mah battery $85 shipped cjdscratch Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 3 Jun 15, 2009 01:32 AM