HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
239 Posts
Cool
Small EPP Toy Glider (with Video and PDF plans)

Hello!

What plane for a 4 years old?

I have tried a number of small rubber band toy planes, paper airplanes and some foam gliders but the result is always the same: after a few minutes, hours or in the best case days the plane is basically confetti.

I recently got some EPP and decided to put it to the test. I build a small F22 (see picture) and gave it to the pilot. It is more than a month now and it still is in one piece! The delicate pilot has stepped on it a number of times, has "folded" it in his back pack, used it a a pillow during the night... but it is still in one piece!

The only problem with the F22 is that it is a bit tricky to launch in order to get it to glide properly. I started looking on the forum for some plans for small toy gliders but I did not really found much (did I miss anything?) so here is my own attempt at designing one.

The wingspan is about 28cm and the length 30 cm. It is built out of 6mm EPP and weighs about 10 to 12 grams. It can be launched either by hand using a small rubber band. The small "dihedral" on the wing tips gives it quite good stability and it flies quite nicely once the CG is right.

Here are some pictures and the plan.

I kind of like the shape of that plane and it flies quite nicely so I will be looking at making an RC version of it (we are in the "Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes" section after all) but I have no yet decided which size, how many motors, how many channels, how fast, 3D... There are many options! Any opinions?

Cheers,

Franck
ffranck is offline Find More Posts by ffranck
Last edited by ffranck; Feb 26, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:01 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,545 Posts
Can you supply plans and maybe some flight video.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:07 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
239 Posts
Video of the first outdoor tests

Hello!

Here is the video of the outdoor tests:

Outdoor Test of a Small EPP Glider (Scratchbuilt) (0 min 43 sec)

It flies ok but I was a bit disappointed because the CG is quite tricky to adjust and small bends in the tail have large effects on the flight (especially on the pitch).

I think that one reason is the flat airfoil. I will try to make a new one with a KFm2 airfoil to see if it is better. What do you guys think?

For the plans, the drawing in the first post is what I have at this point. I can make a printable PDF version if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Franck
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:59 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,545 Posts
Very impressive video! Thank you for sharing it. PDF printable on US letter size paper would be best for me.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
Build 'em, crash 'em, repeat
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2011
70 Posts
I followed your link from the other hand toss glider page you just posted on (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post20859160)- great little plane- now I'll have to add to my kids' fleet.

It might make a good mid-motor flyer. I'll stay tuned to see what it becomes if you add a motor.
thehess6 is offline Find More Posts by thehess6
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:45 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
239 Posts
PDF Plans A4 and US Letter

Here is the plan as PDF. The good thing is that it fits on a single A4 or Letter sheet of paper.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:29 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,545 Posts
Thanks!
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:31 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
239 Posts
KFm2 airfoil test

Hello!

I have built another one with a KFm2 airfoil to compare. When launched by hand or with the rubber band I did not really notice any big differences in the way it glides. The KF airfoil makes it a bit stronger. You can see on the picture that it is quite dirty, that's because it has spent a full day in kindergarten :-) I am quite amazed that it came back in one piece!

I have also started on the RC version. It is at 200% scale which means about 50cm wingspan. Not sure yet if I will go with the KF airfoil on it. Will post progress.

Cheers,

Franck
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
70 Posts
I finished mine yesterday. The kids had a great time launching it with the rubber band launcher. My EPP was warped just a little (I used some scraps form a scrap pile), but turned out great because it flew right back to the launch point- like a boomerang. It would fly up and out about 20 feet, then gently turn back and land almost at their feet. And I'm not worried about having to fix it like the depron models I give them- I just heat the glue gun when they start playing with them.

Now I'll have to build a few more so they all have their own (4 kids... what was I thinking?)
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
70 Posts
I forgot to mention- I did make a slight change to the pattern- I made them more of a slot and groove assembly- see pictures. I glued the two wing halves together (with gorilla glue) then slid the fuselage on when that was dry. There is also a notch near the tail. I hot glued the rest together.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:26 PM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
522 Posts
These look great. My boy is going to love it. Just what I've been after to use up all the scrap and introduce the little one to planes.
Keep us posted of any developments.
Right, where did I put my knife!
Thechittyfather is online now Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:50 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehess6 View Post
I forgot to mention- I did make a slight change to the pattern- I made them more of a slot and groove assembly- see pictures. I glued the two wing halves together (with gorilla glue) then slid the fuselage on when that was dry. There is also a notch near the tail. I hot glued the rest together.
Good! I make my next one like this and update the plan. This is a better solution, I actually had problem gluing the wings symmetrically :-)
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Jan 2011
239 Posts
The 200% RC Version Flies!

Hello again,

I have completed and test flown a larger RC version using the glider plans. I have created another thread for it with some pictures and the video from the maiden here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606959

I thought we could keep this thread for kids gliders :-)

Cheers!

Franck