HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:38 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
Cool
The 2012 Harris Hill Vintage RC Aerotow - July 6-7 - Elmira, NY

We’re going back to Elmira!
The 2012 Harris Hill Vintage RC Aerotow - July 6-7

RCAeroTowing.com (RCAT), The National Soaring Museum (NSM) and the International Vintage Sailplane Meet (IVSM) are proud to announce The 2012 Harris Hill Vintage RC Soaring Aerotow.

Flying large scale RC sailplanes from the National Soaring Museum site holds a special place in the hearts and memories of many in our hobby. RC Sailplanes will be towed during designated flying windows on Friday and Saturday. So, mark July 6 and 7 on your calendar and get yourself and your vintage glider to Elmira, NY!

LEARN MORE HERE: http://www.rcaerotowing.com/7453-elm...g-aerotow.html

REGISTRATION: http://www.rcaerotowing.com/event-de...tion.php?id=84
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,548 Posts
Wow

Congratulations Steve and all involved with creating the RC Aero towing program web site and setting the stage for a "Come Back to Harris Hill" event.

Back to Harris Hill, I have dreamed of flying there again.

I'm sure many are not familiar with the Hill ... it's the best. I hope the Holiday Inn is still there.

I sent the web link to Gordon Pearson, I hope he can make your event with his Woodys. They would be a real asset to the party.

Ray
Sky Bench ... Woodys Forever
http:///www.skybench.com
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:49 AM
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
Our planning update with the NSM and IVSM went great. They are so excited that we'll be there!

The International Vintage Sailplane Meet is held just once every four years - don’t wait until 2016 to see it!

Again, this is not a typical event. We'll be co-existing with full scale operations and only flying in select windows or if weather gives the advantage to RC guys over full scale (read: cloudy, weak lift). We'll see. The hallmark for everything we do is SAFETY! Planned flying windows for RC are as follows:

Thursday 7/5 = 5:00 PM - Dark for those early arrivals (We will be there ready to tow you!)

Friday 7/6 = 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM only if full scale conditions warrant, not very likely, and 5:00 PM - Dark

Saturday 7/7 = 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM and 12:00 noon - Dark (IVSM ends at noon, we need to work with Harris Hill full scale operations and their obvious right of way as to how we fly)

Note, the full scale pilot's meeting is at 9:30 AM each morning, so they will be flying by 10:00.

There is no registration or tow fee. RCAeroTowing.com is asking that all participants make an "Individual Membership" level donation to the National Soaring Museum of $35. If you are already a NSM member, we still ask you to make a finacial donation to the museum. Form is below, we will be collecting these at check-in.

ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST SIGN THE AMA WAIVER FORMS AND SHOW CURRENT USA OR CANADIAN MEMBERSHIP. Wonderful Wendy will be running registration with an iron fist!

Reminder, this is a 2.4G event.

We have participants from 9 states, Quebec, and UK. Should be a great group.

CAMPING: Camping is available on Harris Hill. $10.00 per person, per night. This needs to be set-up in advance between you and the NSM. They are providing this service primarily to the IVSM attendees. Limited availability.

LECTURES: Each day at 10:00 AM there will be a lecture in the NSM Community Room.
-- Wednesday = “John Robinson and the Zanonia: World’s First Diamond C” by Dave Raspet (10:30 start time)
-- Thursday = “Bonomi and Silva about Klemperer” by Vincenzo Pedrielli and Walter Klemperer
-- Friday = “60th Anniversary of the Madrid Internationals" by Phil Westcott and Kyle Schweizer
-- Saturday = "100 Years Ago: Soaring Starts around the World" by Simine Short

Don't forget your camera!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Steve
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,636 Posts
I wont be able to attend this event but my Dad pete and nephew Hunter will be there. These lucky dogs...... I loved going to this place. I had my first ride there and I believe this sailplane is still there. I had a german pilot who was interested in our models.

We made many friends while at Harris Hill. We attended before the big fire that destroyed the old building but now they have the museum up there. I have been there a few times in past years. Still a great place.

Enjoy it guys. The Soaring Capital of the World.

I have attached a pic of my dad myself and another person who I can not identify. Taken by Jim Gray around mid 70's

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for posting that, Jeff!

Steve
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
461 Posts
Any Pictures from the event?
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
Huge thread on www.RCAeroTowing.com in the events section and also a bunch of links here in RCG in the scale soaring section.

It was a blast!!!!!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPasierb View Post
Huge thread on www.RCAeroTowing.com in the events section and also a bunch of links here in RCG in the scale soaring section.

It was a blast!!!!!
I couldn't find any pictures posted in the gallery section or elsewhere. I really have a hard time navigating the rcaerotowing site. Figured with all the past events there would be some photos in the gallery North America section.

The links here are great.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1599996

Thanks
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:20 AM
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
As I said above, In the events section. it is very difficult. Go to the discussion forum which uses the exact same software as here, select events, select Harris Hill. You may want to rest up first and stretch out so you don't pull a muscle.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
An article and photos from The Harris Hill Vintage Aerotow at Elmira can be found in the September issue of RC Soaring Digest. The event owns pages 4-19

http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-2012-09.pdf
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
Fall 2012 Bungee Cord

Sharing the attachment below from our friends at the Vintage Sailplane Association. Coverage of the International Vintage Sailplane Meet including the scale model activity...