SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:50 AM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
I ordered my Westward directly from Horizion because the LHS not longer carries any sailboats. I ordered it on a Wed and it was delivered on Sat by Fedex. In Sep I found the jib boom warped about 1/2 inch and when I contacted Horizion they replaced the boom right away and when I called them today about the servo they said that a new servo would be sent out right away.. Like Boomer I have had nothing but good experences with Horizion.
The type of experences that you had could happen with any company with a LHS acting as a middleman. You are at the mercy of the hobby shop who is at the mercy of the distributor and in a lot of cases just past the buck and hope that you will give up after awhile and go away. I hope that you get your problem fixed soon.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:02 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Hircsailor, thanks... so do I
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
613 Posts
Bommer, what are the LHS's that you use in Temecula?

Terry
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:49 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
If you go to the maps section of this forum and select California and find Temecula the hobby shops are noted there - including addresses and contact information.
The local hobby shop I made reference to was in Orange County - Rob's RC Hobbies 15071 Goldenwest Street Huntington Beach, CA 92647
(714) 372-3777 Very large shop and nice people. Got my first Motor Life Boat from them.
The there is another hobby shop in Old Town Temecula that is into electric trains but very quite small - nothing there for me. The other two, Hobby People and Hobby Town both carry some boats mostly power boats and are of course big in rolling rc and aircraft. Both have lots of parts and fabrication goodies.

Hope that's what you were looking for.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:32 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
Boomer1, Horizon have (probably quite rightfully) hand balled the issue to the local distributor. Maybe I am being 'fussy' but the 2nd boat is not well finished cosmetically at all. I emailed the local distributor and they did contact me back, asking for my ph numbers etc. I provided such and just requested no call that afternoon before a certain time (was a work commitment). Since then (even though sending some photo's of the 'crap' 2nd boat, not a word.

Was to be a present for young lad, that all got changed after the delay on the 2nd boats issues getting resolved. As I said. I won't support the company or their products anymore, even if it is just the local distributor letting them down. Too bad, not my issue. I'll also make sure no one I know, or any who asks for that matter, thinks it is the first place they should look.

I've been in contact with Chris at Blackstar yachts (this guy is fast to answer, even offering to show me some product(s) not even on his website etc). I'll be doing some business with him at some point (even though int. shipping is involved), I just feel small guy's like him, especially given my experience in contact(s) with are nothing but pleasant etc.
The decision of how you handle this is clearly your call. Too be fair, blaming the factory for the dealer's responses is your call too, but not necessarily logical.

I know Chris at Blackstar and his is a class guy in my experience as well to those I know that have purchased boats from him. His boats are what I call basic designs. They are more functional than detailed. They are simple and trouble free, and the best part is they sail by all reports very well! Hard to beat.

He builds boats for fun more than just the money, and that may be one of the big things that separates him from others and larger companies.

My faith in Horizon comes from my own personal experiences and from hearing other stories of similar positive experiences with them. If you don't like the product that is totally understandable.

Good luck
Boomer
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Quick update.

I actually sent an email today to the manager of the local distributor. Well litterally within minutes of sending it. I received an email back from the guy (who I had the intial contact with). He stated he had been away sick and then offered me numerous solutions. And given the fact I am a single parent (who still maintains two jobs) I am extremely happy to say that all the solutions offered save me any expense in time, fuel and potential lost income in having to travel back to the store or the distributors. Just re-read some of my posts on here and I stand by them (as at the time, there was no contact again, even after several emails over a week, I accept and understand the sick, with the proviso that I'd have thought that a national distributor would have a back up for fielding email quieries etc.

Anyway I do say thank you to the guy involved and today's call was a very pleasant, polite and laid back. The solutions to the issue were more than good. Including a complete replacement boat shipped to me with nothing to do on my part but be their to accept delivery.

Only hard part was putting off a young lad, who's had a bit of rough trot, but hopefully soon he'll be having a crack at sailing.

I did comment today that after the first boat (which was missing the keel) had a hull that i considered a quality of finish I would have expected. The second 'replacement / swapped over' boat as mentioned above poor quality in finish and the keel was warped. I made the statement about the second boat being a 'friday afternoon special'. The guy from the distributor chuckled and said that's what how the refer to them and that they do get them quite often in the hobby trade..."

Anyway, got a few weeks wait for the replacement boat (please someone check it to make sure it is ok . . . ). Though at this time looks like problem resolved and i will be more than happy to say I retract the ealier comments if the ...replacement, replacement boat... is all good. Also have to say incase anyone is wondering, my email contacts were polite, courteous and just factually pointed out the issues (including photo's etc) and relevant dates etc - I always believe in being polite and courteous even in disputes as loosing ones rag doesn't help anything.
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:31 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
Glad to hear you have made some progress!
Boomer
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
Hmmm Looking for a first boat and just found this last night. How does this stand up to the HK boats?

Looks like this one needs some modding as well. Seems to be able to move well on the water in stock form though. Nice and small too.

Don't really need another radio though. I have a dx7s and 5e already. Would someone buy the RTR in in this on ebay for 10 bucks?
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:23 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
I have one of these and it's a cute little boat but it is a light wind boat. I got it to sail in the condo pool after a hip replacement and couldn't go to the sailing pond. With the way the condo is set up the wind sometimes blows at 5 mph or more at the pool and at that time the boat would be over powered by the wind and would just be blown to the side of the pool no matter what I did.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:13 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
Hmmm Looking for a first boat and just found this last night. How does this stand up to the HK boats?

Looks like this one needs some modding as well. Seems to be able to move well on the water in stock form though. Nice and small too.

Don't really need another radio though. I have a dx7s and 5e already. Would someone buy the RTR in in this on ebay for 10 bucks?
HC has one and has shared his view of that boat. I think a few questions might be worth while asking before we provide you with good information.

What is your budget (how much are you willing to spend ? How large of a boat can you transport and store comfortably? What are the normal conditions of where you'd be sailing your new boat, wind, water depth, is there a way to rescue your boat if it got stuck in the middle etc. ?

Like in most things, size matters as does the depth of your wallet. If you can share this info I am sure the suggestions will be better and specific to your situation.

Boomer
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
My budget is 150 bucks or more if it looks worth while. I have a astro van so transport is not a issue. I just want a descent boat. Modding is also a mute point. I rule in that department.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:14 AM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
Have a surmount on the way for 117 shipped. yay!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:44 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
Wow, that took you only 7 minutes to decide! This size boat will give you a wider range of sailing conditions than the smaller Westward. If you have done your reading you are aware there are a few mod's you should consider doing to your new boat to prep it for active duty.

Good luck with your new boat!
Boomer
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Wow, that took you only 7 minutes to decide! This size boat will give you a wider range of sailing conditions than the smaller Westward. If you have done your reading you are aware there are a few mod's you should consider doing to your new boat to prep it for active duty.

Good luck with your new boat!
Boomer
LOL I was drunk as a skunk. Went to HK to look at the surmount after I typed that and got the 1 time offer for 77 bucks so I bit. Shipping and handling brought it up to $117. I like the size and the lack of a TX. Price is right even with all the BS shipping charges. Some choice mods and I am sure it will be a decent boat. Be fun at the lake.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:35 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
LOL I was drunk as a skunk. Went to HK to look at the surmount after I typed that and got the 1 time offer for 77 bucks so I bit. .......
Good thing you weren't on the Lamborghini website at the time - might have stretched the PayPal account a bit.....

Surmount is a nice boat (I have one) - do a couple of simple mods and it goes quite well. Tape the hatch down before you go sailing...
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin