Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:12 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
OK, answer, straight from my good friend, who is one of the Spektrum Engineers:

So, that's what I thought... the RX's are fine up to 9.6Vinput, but you'll burn up the servo.

It's not really cost effective, but if you REALLY wanted to run a 2S Lipo, you could install one of these VRs:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ator-SPMVR5203

Or something similar....

Hope this helps!
Thanks. Bear with me, but would 1s lipo work?
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:32 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Isn't 4 aa batteries equal to 6v, not 4.8?
Normal AA lead acid AA cells are 1.5 volts nominal

Normal AA NiMh or niCd are 1.2 volts nominal

I currently use 5 x AA NiMh for my boats, works fine

Check out this item also, have some they are great:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25030
Currently US$6.58 per pack
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:59 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,482 Posts
LSD NiMh is very good for power. These are comparable to Sanyo Eneloop. I use both Sanyo and Hobby King batteries for both my MMs and their transmitters.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined May 2011
583 Posts
I'm using regulators on my Micro Magic and Victoria to drop 2s LiPo to 6v. They're cheap and light and effective.

Highly recommended - a regulated high voltage power source totally transforms a control system, it's like having better than fresh batteries ALL THE TIME - precise, fast servo motion makes for really nice control.
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Today was my second time in the water (post-maiden?)
With the boom fixed and swinging freely, and perhaps 5-7kts of wind, I had a great time. Just played with different sail settings and angles to the wind. So far the inside of the boat has stayed dry. But, I am thinking of putting some foam inside before putting it on the big lake though. I would sure hate to see it sink in 60' of water! I hope HH gets their QC issues dealt with as this would of been a great first boat if it hadn't been for the poor construction.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:11 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
.... I am thinking of putting some foam inside before putting it on the big lake though. I would sure hate to see it sink in 60' of water! .....
The first alteration to my yachts is to add polystyrene anywhere I can get it to fit. Provides enough flotation so that even with the hull completely full it will only sink to deck level.
This has saved me one boat earlier this year - the hatch came loose and leaked while sailing in very rough weather and the boat filled right up. Floated nose up with the mast foot at water level; blew ashore. I should never have sent it out but then again, itwas great fun till it sank....
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Aug 20, 2012, 02:05 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,482 Posts
Extra buoyancy is indeed a nice insurance for mishaps on the water. On the other hand, a hatch should not be able to come loose. For instance on the Micro Magic small locking taps are used, at least 4, sometimes five. Unless at least 2 fail on the same side, the hatch might get loose.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:54 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
Normal AA lead acid AA cells are 1.5 volts nominal

Normal AA NiMh or niCd are 1.2 volts nominal

I currently use 5 x AA NiMh for my boats, works fine

Check out this item also, have some they are great:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25030
Currently US$6.58 per pack
5-cell Rx packs can be substituted with 2S LiFe.

Something like this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ver_Pack_.html

Light and powerful without the LiPo drawbacks!

/Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:42 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmike View Post
I'm using regulators on my Micro Magic and Victoria to drop 2s LiPo to 6v. They're cheap and light and effective.

Highly recommended - a regulated high voltage power source totally transforms a control system, it's like having better than fresh batteries ALL THE TIME - precise, fast servo motion makes for really nice control.
Which regulator are you using? I made some research time ago to feed a small motor boat of my son with 2s instead of 4 NiMH but found that typical oltage regulator integrated circuits as LM317 suffer from low max current (1.5 A or so) and significant dropout (I.e. minimum difference between input and output voltage). Maybe for a sail boat when you don't have to supply a motor this could still work...

P.S. Well this could be viable solution if you don't have to power a motor as in the case of a sailboat.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18521
Tom_1971 is offline Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Last edited by Tom_1971; Aug 25, 2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:08 AM
Joined May 2011
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_1971 View Post
Which regulator are you using? I made some research time ago to feed a small motor boat of my son with 2s instead of 4 NiMH but found that typical oltage regulator integrated circuits as LM317 suffer from low max current (1.5 A or so) and significant dropout (I.e. minimum difference between input and output voltage). Maybe for a sail boat when you don't have to supply a motor this could still work...

P.S. Well this could be viable solution if you don't have to power a motor as in the case of a sailboat.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18521
I'm using this, de-cased and waterproofed - http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...=DYN4070#specs

Good for 3.5A continuous in stock form. Stronger versions are available!

For a motor powered boat I would not use a regulator but a proper speed controller instead.
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:11 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
379 Posts
Thanks.
The case of my toy motor boat is complicated by the fact that electronics is integrated (rx+ESC) and sealed so it would imply throwing everything... I'll see.
Tom_1971 is offline Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:25 PM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
767 Posts
Hello everyone.

I'm in the market for a sailboat, and it will be my first.

I've got it narrowed down to a Westward or a Nirvana, with the Nirvana currently leading.

However, I always enjoy saving a bit of money...so I haven't ruled the Westward out yet.

When I sail I would generally be doing it in very light winds, mainly because I don't know how to sail yet. I also have a small car, so the more portable the better.

My question is this...

Does anyone know if the Spektrum receiver in the Westward would bind with my DX6i, which is my current transmitter??? If so, that might put the Westward back to even with the Nirvana on my "score sheet."

Thanks!
Jeff
Gimpdiggity is online now Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Feb 2005
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
5-cell Rx packs can be substituted with 2S LiFe.

Something like this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ver_Pack_.html

Light and powerful without the LiPo drawbacks!

/Dimitrios
Totally agreed!! LiFe is way to go. Long run time as LiPo but no regulator needed and much safer.
deoding is offline Find More Posts by deoding
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:28 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
Hello everyone.

I'm in the market for a sailboat, and it will be my first.

I've got it narrowed down to a Westward or a Nirvana, with the Nirvana currently leading.

However, I always enjoy saving a bit of money...so I haven't ruled the Westward out yet.

When I sail I would generally be doing it in very light winds, mainly because I don't know how to sail yet. I also have a small car, so the more portable the better.

My question is this...

Does anyone know if the Spektrum receiver in the Westward would bind with my DX6i, which is my current transmitter??? If so, that might put the Westward back to even with the Nirvana on my "score sheet."

Thanks!
Jeff
The MR200 receiver that comes with this boat should bind just fine with the DX6i. It will not work with the older DX6 transmitters.

Kevin
poltergeist is online now Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:45 PM
Valiant Poultry
United States, MI, Jackson
Joined Apr 2012
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
The MR200 receiver that comes with this boat should bind just fine with the DX6i. It will not work with the older DX6 transmitters.

Kevin
Thank you.

I didn't know what model the receiver was, but now that I have that model number I was able to match it up to my transmitter on Spektrum's site.

Man, this makes the Westward a better competitor for my needs. I know I could get one of those OrangeRX receivers from HobbyKing to put in the Nirvana, but I don't really like buying from HobbyKing, so I'd rather get a regular Spektrum receiver which is $50 or so new.

Decisions, decisions...
Gimpdiggity is online now Find More Posts by Gimpdiggity