HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,552 Posts
Anyone with more firsthand sailing info?
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 05:39 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
519 Posts
I brought one to sail in the condos pool because I can't get down to the pond yet. Sailed it once in pool but the wind was whipping around the building to much to get a good feel of its sailing ability. Between wind guest the boat was a very good sailor and I enjoyed sailing it. Looking forward to the wind speed dropping some so that I sail it again. The weather man says that the trade winds will average 10/20 mph and that is too much for such a small boat.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:22 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Ordered one yesterday from hopmeup on ebay. $149 with free shipping (and I am in Alaska!)

Enjoyed the videos on the previous page. This is my first sailboat so would appreciate any advice from you more experienced sailors!
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:32 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,259 Posts
Not sure if my experience is enough to be of advice, but a few things come to my mind.

First run, try to find a water where the wind is blowing towards the shore, so in case of a problem, you are sure to be able to retrieve the boat without going for a swim.

Second, I don't know if there are options to adjust the sails, but beginners tend to think the sails should be tight, and make them be totally flat. But sails perform much better when they have a little curve.

Third, I often see boats where the main sail is oversheeted, meaning it makes a much bigger angle with the line running from bow to stern than the front sail (jib). while for good airflow around the main sail it should be the other way around, the jib at a bigger angle than the main sail, about 10 to 15 degrees more.

Fourth, beginners tend to keep the sails fully hauled in when sailing in light winds, reasoning that it should catch more of the scarce wind. Yet, setting the sails a little loose, as little as for instance 10 degrees for the main sail, the boat often starts picking up speed, despite low winds.

Fifth, I understand this boat is in similar size class as the Graupner Micro Magic,.so perhaps it would be interesting to look at the MM thread for some additional info.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:47 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
SoloProFan,
Thank you for the words of wisdom. I will heed when my boat arrives. In the meantime I read the MicroMagic thread as you suggested. Also whatever youtube videos I could find. Found I had a lot of misconceptions on sails and how they should be set! Really looking forward to trying this little guy out. There is a nice little pond nearby that is maybe 100' wide and 300' long and I can access the shore all around. Been using it to fly my UM Carbon Cub floatplane.
Hope to see more action on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Not sure if my experience is enough to be of advice, but a few things come to my mind.

First run, try to find a water where the wind is blowing towards the shore, so in case of a problem, you are sure to be able to retrieve the boat without going for a swim.

Second, I don't know if there are options to adjust the sails, but beginners tend to think the sails should be tight, and make them be totally flat. But sails perform much better when they have a little curve.

Third, I often see boats where the main sail is oversheeted, meaning it makes a much bigger angle with the line running from bow to stern than the front sail (jib). while for good airflow around the main sail it should be the other way around, the jib at a bigger angle than the main sail, about 10 to 15 degrees more.

Fourth, beginners tend to keep the sails fully hauled in when sailing in light winds, reasoning that it should catch more of the scarce wind. Yet, setting the sails a little loose, as little as for instance 10 degrees for the main sail, the boat often starts picking up speed, despite low winds.

Fifth, I understand this boat is in similar size class as the Graupner Micro Magic,.so perhaps it would be interesting to look at the MM thread for some additional info.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:35 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
392 Posts
I'm wondering if a boat like this could sail in the sea. Not with strong waves, but in a light breeze, I mean... I'm not familiar with r/c boats and can hardly judge which difference could be between a pond/lake and the sea (apart from the water's taste ).
I'm asking because I'd like to buy a beginner's sail boat, but don't have a pond close to my home. Well, neither the sea is so close, but anyhowm I'm pretty sure I'll spend 2-3 weeks on the seaside each day with my family!
Thanks a lot.
Tom_1971 is offline Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:16 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_1971 View Post
I'm wondering if a boat like this could sail in the sea. Not with strong waves, but in a light breeze, I mean... I'm not familiar with r/c boats and can hardly judge which difference could be between a pond/lake and the sea (apart from the water's taste ).
I'm asking because I'd like to buy a beginner's sail boat, but don't have a pond close to my home. Well, neither the sea is so close, but anyhowm I'm pretty sure I'll spend 2-3 weeks on the seaside each day with my family!
Thanks a lot.
Tom
With a few precautions there is no reason almost any seaworthy RC sailboat couldn't be used successfully in the ocean.
The electronics on these boats don't like water, and salt water is particularly intrusive - making sure the hatch is sealed and water tight - protecting the receiver by putting it carefully inside a balloon that is sealed at the top would be priorities.
I put my receiver and battery pack in balloons just to be extra carefull.

Washing the boat after each use is also important. Same rules apply to full size boats!

I have not seen the hatch on this boat - so I can't offer an opinion on how well it is sealed from the factory. But most hatches need to be tweaked to be watertight.

Hope that helps.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:23 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
519 Posts
Only sailed mine once in the pool with steady wind of about 4mph. the hatch leaked and the next sailing I will be sealing the hatch with tape.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:23 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,259 Posts
Sure it's the hatch (only)? On my second 2nd hand MM I had no less than 4 leaks. One on the seam where deck and hull are joined, also on the box that holds the keel and mast, the hatch can leak a few drops when the boat does a nose stand (meaning it's nose down at about 45 degrees flooding most of the deck) and a little can come in through the holes for the sheeting. Hatch problems can be adressed with tape, or vaseline. Having a small spunge inside the hull when sailing on rough water can also help prevent problems.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,536 Posts
All good suggestions! The trick is to test your boat before you use it! Tub or pool testing can be very useful!
These boats are not ment to be submarines but on occassion the will act like one. It can be fun when that happens as long as your boat is properly sealed.
Just one of those things we all need to be aware of.

Boomer
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:15 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
What kind of tape do you use to seal the hatch?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:12 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
What kind of tape do you use to seal the hatch?
Hatch tape is used on a varity of rc boats, mostly by the guys running hot boats that can flip and land upside down.
It looks like Sctoch tape, but is water proof - can be purchased at many hobby shops - You just have to be aware that some boat's decals or paint or both can be lifted/damaged by the tape when it is removed.

Boomer

OSE is where I purchased mine 100' for $2.99
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/search.php
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 26, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:29 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
519 Posts
I use plastic electicans tape that I get from the local hardeare store for $0.99 for a 50 inch roll. I am sure that the water in the hull on my first sailing was thru the hatch as the boat spent a lot of time with a rail under water. I will know for sure on my next sailing.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor View Post
I use plastic electicans tape that I get from the local hardeare store for $0.99 for a 50 inch roll. I am sure that the water in the hull on my first sailing was thru the hatch as the boat spent a lot of time with a rail under water. I will know for sure on my next sailing.
Is the hatch so close to the edge of the deck? On my Micro Magic, I only get water near the hatch when the boat "submarines". When it's listing while sailing with the wind from the side, the water barely gets on deck, so it can't enter through the hatch.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:39 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
I tried hatch tape about a month ago, it peeled the paint off the hatch.. so make note....
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K