HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Thanks for the definitive answer on the construction. I've also been looking at Blackstar yachts 21" boat. I became aware of his products not long after his website went live. Have only read positive things on his products (workmanship)

The reason I asked is because the link above states blow molded ABS plastic and ABS hull. Yet the European (I believe) Pro-boat or Horizon website listed it as fibreglass.

However, like Boomer mentioned there is some merrit to a product from a well backed distribution network - One of the reasons I hadn't pulled the trigger on a Turnigy.

Cheers guys.
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
Exactly. The RTS version is simply over the top for a lot of folks, especially for those who have a TX.

Btw. could you please measure AUW of the boat? The manual only mentions the sail surface. Thanks
Well it looks that the hull, keel and rudder can be obtained separately as spare parts for those interested in using their own radio equipment and riggin' setup.

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...=Parts+Listing

Unfortunately I only have a bathroom scale at home so I can't weight it accurately. I'll try to loan one from a friend.

Keep in mind though that usually the smaller the boat the higher mass to sail surface ratio is and this has nothing to do with design or material choices. It's due to the mathematics involved - the sail area increases geometrically - it's squared compared to the length/height of the vessel - the mass/weight is not following though.

So don't expect a smaller boat to have such a low sail load as larger ships.

Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is online now Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Last edited by Dimitris76; May 15, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Unfortunately I only have a bathroom scale at home so I can't weight it accurately. I'll try to loan one from a friend.
Thanks. Btw. have you tried the MM or the rMM? Can you compare them to the Westward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Keep in mind though that the smaller the boat the higher the sail surface to mass ratio is and this has nothing to do with design or material choices. It's due to the mathematics involved - the sail area increases geometrically - it's squared compared to the length/height of the vessel - the mass/weight is not following though.

So don't expect a smaller boat to have such a low sail load as larger ships.
Understood, but linear approximation is a pretty good basis for comparison within the same class. The bummer in the Turnigy 610 vs. rMM battle is that Turnigy has 56% higher loading despite being 20% taller. If the Westward comes within 25% of the rMM (since it's smaller), it's a decent starting point.

Oh, just found these unboxing & build vids on YT. Yes, the chap forgot to turn on the mic, but dedicated full 'episode' on CA-ing the stand Nevertheless, all the credit to him for delivering the first contribution on YT.

proboat westward (7 min 4 sec)

proboat westward build 1 (4 min 41 sec)

proboat westward build 2 (6 min 40 sec)

pro boat westward part4 (4 min 54 sec)

Good acceleration at 3:43 So is the scale speed at 4:08

The rigging looks OK from the distance. This boat could indeed be the tha bomb with a chopped rMM rigging. Hull + keel + rudder + hatch around $60, could have been worse. The FG hull is bargain by itself.

Will be interesting whether some of the companies who are pimping/ building rMMs will make some GrauBoat bastards
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old May 15, 2012, 07:48 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
Interesting clips showing how boat arrives and how easy it is to set up. May have to look into getting one so that I can get stick time in the condo pool when I can't get to the pond.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old May 31, 2012, 10:02 AM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
I just bought two of these and I hope to have them out this weekend.

any mods that NEED to be done before sailing?
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old May 31, 2012, 11:17 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,442 Posts
Mc
Very informative videos - Thank you! Seems to be a nice little boat and worh consideration.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jun 04, 2012, 12:33 PM
Vampyre Inc
Rochester, New York
Joined Nov 2004
2,562 Posts
Sailed all Saturday with these two boats. they worked great right out of the box, the winds were blowing very hard well past what the model was made for and it work perfect.
HoverDown3K is offline Find More Posts by HoverDown3K
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hindhead
Joined May 2004
232 Posts
Guys can this boat be derigged to fit in a suitcase for a flight to a holiday spot

Seems ideal forca pool yacht
desmo is offline Find More Posts by desmo
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:29 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
Since I am unable to get to the pond to sail our ODOMs I brought a Westward 18 so I keep sailing in the condo pool. Great service from Horizon, ordered on Wed and boat arrived on Sat. only bad part was having to pay shipping tp Hawaii but still at a buy at$180. Tried sailing that afternoon but the trade winds were blowing over 10mph and with the wind blowing around the building was unable to control boat in pool. I haven't had another chance to try as wind still blowing over 10mph.
It does not appeare that mast can be removed but that could be changed, The hatch cover is just like most of the boats from China, a little foam strip and magents to hold it in place. Looks like tape around seams to keep most of the water out. but for me this is just a toy to keep me sailing untill I can get back to the pond with the bigger boats so I am not going to make any big changes to the boat.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:19 AM
Joined Nov 2004
77 Posts
Hi guys am hoping somebody can answer my ? I just bought a westward an put it together as instructed but when i turn on the radio system the rudder works just fine the winch servo just tightens itself up that it pulls the sails down to the deck of the boat an wont release no matter where i put the throttle stick so i took the drum off so i wouldnt damage the boat too see what happens an the winch servo just continues to spin again no control no matter what stick position this is my first sailboat so am not very knowledgeable any thoughts an suggestion would be most helpful thank you in advance
raptor3d is offline Find More Posts by raptor3d
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:45 AM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
Did you bind the xmitter and receiver. They say that the two are binded but that is not always the case. WhenI first received my Westward the servos worked. A little later the rudder servo worked but sail servo didn't. I could figure it out and decided to try binding the xmitter and receiver together and everthing work then. I'm not saying that is your problem but that is the only trouble that I had with the boat. If that doesn't work then it sounds like a bad sail servo to me and I would contact the seller about getting a new one.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Nov 2004
77 Posts
thank you for ur response i have rebound the tx an rx an that didnt change anything so i am going to contact the seller an see about gettin a new sail servo
raptor3d is offline Find More Posts by raptor3d
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:01 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,092 Posts
Sounds like a bad winch. Perhaps the feedback variable resistor, that tells the servo electronics how far the drum has rotated, is disconnected or faulty. In that case the servo will keep spinning forever, because it never gets the feedback it has already reached it's set position.

Btw, this looks like a nice boat. Does the rigging offer any options to add some twist to the sails? The MM, which is similar size, likes a lot of twist for best performance. Setting the sails too tight, so these are quite flat, is nice for sailing in high winds, but not for getting the most propulsion from the sails.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Anyone have more experience with this one yet? I saw one in the LHS today and my wife liked it so I was thinking about getting if for her. Opening the box it seemed nice.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:41 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo View Post
Guys can this boat be derigged to fit in a suitcase for a flight to a holiday spot

Seems ideal forca pool yacht
I guess that would depend on the size of your suitcase? But I would think it might fit.
The video (post #18) that shows the assembly should provide you with a good idea if that might be possible.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1