Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:52 AM
Team Horizon Hobby - Surface
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
93 Posts
Discussion
NEW *** Pro Boat Westward 18 Sailboat

Hi Guys,

New offering from Pro Boat was just announced. It's called the Westward 18, and it's an 18", I guess "Ultra-Micro" sized sailboat. This one should be pretty cool. A "little" easier to transport with it's smaller size.

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB3350

Here are the specs:

Westward 18 Sailboat RTR

Specs
Length: 18 1/8 in (460mm)
Beam: 4 3/8 in (111mm)
Mast Height: 22 3/4 in (578mm)
Radio: Spektrum 2.4Ghz 2-stick Transmitter(DX2M)/ Spektrum MR200 Receiver
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Hull Type: Deep-V
Sail Material: Rip-stop nylon
Sail Area (Main): 66 in (1676mm)
Sail Area (Jib): 45.75 in (1162mm)
Sail Area (Overall): 111.73 in (2838mm)
Minimum Age Recommendation: 14 years
Darin Jordan is offline Find More Posts by Darin Jordan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Looks a bit like a Micro Magic - From the promo photos this boat looks like it has the same high gloss gel-coat as the Serenity I recently purchased.

I see the boat comes with a typical Chinese drum/winch style servo. My issue with this set up is that they provide no tension maintaining devise to prevent the sheets from getting fouled inside the drum cover when the sheets go slack, and that this style winch can be a bear to re-line when the time comes to replace the factory sheets. Just a heads up - probably will work fine.

The asking price with a 2.4ghz radio, suggests it would be nice affordable starter boat.

I have four Proboat products: Miss Geico, Classic Runabout, Motor Life Boat and a Serenity. I like the quality of the boats I have and I appreciate Proboat's solid customer service.

Look forward to seeing some video to see how it sails.

Thanks for sharing.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
Team Horizon Hobby - Surface
Renton
Joined Sep 2006
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
I see the boat comes with a typical Chinese drum/winch style servo. My issue with this set up is that they provide no tension maintaining devise to prevent the sheets from getting fouled inside the drum cover when the sheets go slack, and that this style winch can be a bear to re-line when the time comes to replace the factory sheets. Just a heads up - probably will work fine.
I have a Serenity too... haven't had it in the water. Have you sailed yours?

I did spend some time with the factory servo winch setup and found it trouble-some. I had to ship up the outer section and I opened up the line-feed holes to keep the lines from hanging up.

I'm not well versed on sailboat rigging, so I'm not sure what other options there are. It looks like it would work as long as there is wind in the sails.

One of these days, I'll go try to sail the thing. It's WAY too big to fit into the car, most of the time. I would like to get one of the Westward 18 sized, as it would be easier to take along.
Darin Jordan is offline Find More Posts by Darin Jordan
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
I have a Serenity too... haven't had it in the water. Have you sailed yours?

I did spend some time with the factory servo winch setup and found it trouble-some. I had to ship up the outer section and I opened up the line-feed holes to keep the lines from hanging up.

I'm not well versed on sailboat rigging, so I'm not sure what other options there are. It looks like it would work as long as there is wind in the sails.

One of these days, I'll go try to sail the thing. It's WAY too big to fit into the car, most of the time. I would like to get one of the Westward 18 sized, as it would be easier to take along.
Darin
(speaking about the Serenity here) The solution would likely require relocating the sail servo to permit a push pull style servo arm. With both of the sheet lines running beneath the deck, using a single side arm presents some geometry issues.

Back to the Westward - Without seeing the boat in person, it is difficult to determine the integrity of the hatch seal set up. There is raised lip that hatch cover fits over much like a shoe box lid, and is held in place with magnets. These little boats can be pushed under water in the right wind conditions and the seal would become very important at that point. Something to check out if you get one. A lip seal could be incorporated easily enough, and a few lock downs could be added as they are on Micro Magic boats. Take a look at the Micro Magic pictured below

Things to consider to replace the factory provided winch on the Serenity:
I posted pictures of the single arm set ups in a Seawind and a Vela -both have their sheet lines above the deck.
Another picture is of the servo tray from a Tamiya Yamaha Round the World - a larger boat but the concept should work in either of these two Proboats. I included a picture of tension devise on a Micro Magic for your reference.

I have not sailed my Serenity yet. I got it, tested the servos and inspected it. Had to repack it in preparation for a move to a new home. I tested the servos using 6 volts rather than the 4.8 volt battery the boat comes with. (more torque that way)
Once I get it on the water, I will know if I will be making a servo change.

Time will tell how it sails, but it sure looks nice.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 22, 2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, MI, HICKORY CRNRS
Joined Jun 2009
13 Posts
Has anyone purchased/ sailed the Proboat Westward yet? Interested to hear some reviews.

They are available on ebay now..
geezer427 is offline Find More Posts by geezer427
Old May 03, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer427 View Post
Has anyone purchased/ sailed the Proboat Westward yet? Interested to hear some reviews.

They are available on ebay now..
Surprisingly, still no sign of it here in Europe either, and summer is just around the corner...

My preferred HH pusher has also increased the price to 170 and there's still not even a delivery date. Had a closer look at the rigging, and even though the basic non-adjustable layout isn't necessarily a problem (good for an even playing field), the lack of options of upgrading eventually lowered my interest even further. HH should take a look at the Micro Magic rigging/ fittings and offer a 20 buck upgrade package. It's only a few bits of plastic and metal.

Personally, I picked up a Micro Magic "Carbon look" edition in the end. It was back ordered by Graupner until Autumn, but suddenly it became available at a lower MSRP (150), you can pick it up for $120. Add $14.6 worth of HK servos, battery & RX, and you are ready to bind it your TX. So it is actually quite a bit cheaper than the Westward.

Of course, the Micro Magic is a kit, but not chasing grams and using CA (much better than epoxy on ABS) it shouldn't take more than a weekend for do. It's really a joy to sail, in all sorts of conditions With the movable keel, I was even able to sail in quite strong winds in the sea, but the hatch needs some more attention.

Anyway, I'm looking forward for the Westward (pun intended) but I'm not holding my breath (anymore). I'll probably pick one of 2nd hand, or when the deals start to come in next season. For 170, no thanks.
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Old May 03, 2012, 04:38 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
I just checked and Horizon Hobbies lists these boats as being in stock. Should anyone wish to order one, here is the link: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...at-rtr-PRB3350

Boomer
Old May 09, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,558 Posts
Just bought $149.99 from the local HobbytownUSA.
I'll put it together and head for the pond as soon as it stops raining.

Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old May 10, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Jan 2008
2,558 Posts

The Tx came pre-binded to the Rx but the Spektrum binding plug is missing.

I have winded/unwinded the winch servo multiple times without tension on the sails and didn't notice any signs of binding in the drum.

Great bilding quality - the gelcoat is Impeccable!!!

Unfortunately it was too dark by the time I arrived at the pond so I didn't have the opportunity to maiden it today but hopefully tomorrow...

Dimitrios
Old May 14, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Very interested in this 'little boat'. It's nice to have something that is easily transportable etc. I am wondering though, if it is ABS plastic or fiberglass construction (depending on which website you visit it is listed as each. I know which I'd prefer (fiberglass). Always had an issue with how ABS yellow's with exsposure to uv rays (sun) a bit of a problem in my neck of the woods.

Can anyone confirm what material this boat is actually constructed from?

Also been wondering how the Turnigy 21" yacht might perform. Especially if outfitted with perhaps a better rigging. Wonder if the racing MM mast etc could be 'bashed' onto it. With the amount of aftermarket sails (A, B and C rigs etc) it may be a decent little yacht.
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old May 14, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Jan 2008
2,558 Posts
The hull is fiberglass, the only part that's plastic is the hatch cover.
The ease of transport was the main selling point for me - I admit this was an impulse buy, but I was into larger models back in the time and that was a major inconvenience that made me drop the hobby.

The boat is a decent sailing vessel. It tracks great and you'll have fun even with the slightest breeze. Perfect for beginners and advanced sailors too.

Keep it always in the trunk of your car for informal sailing in small water bodies during lunch brake! hehe

Dimitrios
Last edited by Dimitris76; May 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:34 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
The hull is fiberglass. If you go to the Proboat website you can read all about the boat and see it's specifications.

To address your questions - most any of these boats can be improved upon. The question is always what makes sense, at what cost and to what end?
I am a tinkerer, so I like to add my own touches to my boats, some for function and others for asthetics.

I'd suggest the service aspect provided by Proboat will be far greater than from Hobbyking. That is a given. From the photos I have seen including the pictures Dimitris posted, the Westward 18 sails very nicely. For the price, it seems a very good buy.

Where I to be in the market for one of the boats you are considering, my choice would be to go with the Proboat product. I own a number of thier boats and have no complaints.

There are a number of options out there, and by doing some reseach before buying you should end up with a boat that will provide you the enjoyment you are after.

Enjoy
Boomer
Old May 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2008
2,558 Posts
I agree with boomer!

This is a fine little boat that can certainly be improved for better performance.

Considering the hull's top notch build quality it would like to see it offered without radio equipment and - why not - even bare without rigging for the seasoned modelers that are looking for a decent boat of manageable size.

Dimitrios
Old May 15, 2012, 06:05 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava View Post
Also been wondering how the Turnigy 21" yacht might perform. Especially if outfitted with perhaps a better rigging. Wonder if the racing MM mast etc could be 'bashed' onto it. With the amount of aftermarket sails (A, B and C rigs etc) it may be a decent little yacht.
I was considering the Turnigy, until I realized its sail loading is more than 50% higher than the rMM ( 92 vs. 59 g/dm2)... For heavy seas, that might not be a disadvantage, but I have a feeling that the rMM can handle stronger winds due to the movable keel.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:11 AM
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
I agree with boomer!
Considering the hull's top notch build quality it would like to see it offered without radio equipment and - why not - even bare without rigging for the seasoned modelers that are looking for a decent boat of manageable size.

Dimitrios
Exactly. The RTS version is simply over the top for a lot of folks, especially for those who have a TX.

Btw. could you please measure AUW of the boat? The manual only mentions the sail surface. Thanks