SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,764 Posts
Discussion
SBACH342 eflite ultra micro WITH AS3x???

I am wondering if anybody knows whether or not the SBACH from eflite will get updated to the as3x gyro system...much like the beast that got renewed from the gold/red to the silver/red version.
mattijs321 is offline Find More Posts by mattijs321
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:31 AM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
476 Posts
I don't know, but it could sure use it. So, if I had to guess, I'd say yes.

I have the non-as3x version and it's a handful. I have been able to tame it by using a lot of expo in my transmitter. With that, it flies pretty good when the wind is not blowing. It still doesn't like any wind over aprox 5 or 6 mph, gets real squirrelly.

I did get an e-mail response from Horizon Hobby awhile back about whether I would be able to add the as3x to my existing UMX SBach. The answer is yes, but at a price. You will be able to buy the as3x system (as a replacement part) to put into an existing SBach, but the as3x is part of the radio, so you have to buy a whole new system. I forget the price they said, but was in the neighborhood of $70 or $80 dollars. Plus they said you might need to replace your servos also, since they aren't designed for the fast changes that will be coming from the as3x.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,764 Posts
Well, i sure hope they'll make a stock as3x version...i really fell in love with the sbach and i'm not a big fan of the beast...
mattijs321 is offline Find More Posts by mattijs321
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Didn't know if I would like the beast or not... bought a 3D AS3X because I wanted a windy day plane... and boy was it a pleasant surprise, now I LOVE the Beast 3D. Had it up in 11 mph wind today which it handles without issue. If you have not flown one you might want to try it. Had planned my next plane to be an SBach... not good to hear it is that twitchy. I am SOOO hoping they do one in as3x asap. I would for sure buy it.
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:08 PM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
476 Posts
I'd suggest waiting for an as3x SBach rather than buying a non-as3x and trying to upgrade. Hopefully you won't have to wait long.

My flying friend has the UMX Beast (non-as3x) and I fly my SBach with him. His looks slightly less sensitive-squirrley than mine.

Of course, you could also go a little larger to gain a little wind tollerance. Like a foamy in the 28" to 34" wingspan.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber