SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
ZD FLY CESSNA 182 or ZD FLY 384 electric glider EPO 2060 mm

Has anyone tried the ZD 384 glider or the 1400 mm Cessna 182?

I am a newbie to RC flying and wanted to get the Cessna Sky Trainer but could not afford the high cost and shipping. I found the ZD Fly Cesna 182 ARF on eBay and got it for $76 with free shipping.

I also got the ZD 384 EPO electric glider 2060mm RTF without realizing that the bid was in Euro's and not US dollars. Needless to say I am nervous. I could not find any videos or reviews of these models online.

Someone please tell me you tried these models and that they are okay!

Nervous Newbie!!!
KingK is offline Find More Posts by KingK
Last edited by KingK; Feb 22, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Anyone ever heard of these models?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
Suspended Account
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Heard of Cessna but not the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingK View Post
Anyone ever heard of these models?
I have had a few Cessnas on my time and a 1.4m wingspan Cessna for under $100 is a great deal if it is a PNP or RTF but the price you mention barely pays for bare KIT, I would suggest to read all the description just to be sure of what you are getting. Nevertheless this is a sweet plane to fly once you assemble it regardless of if you bought a kit or not.

Would you mind sharing the link so I can tell for sure if I have flown one or not.

I from experience can say that the Starmax, FMS and BlitzRC 1.4m Cessna are all the same airframe with little variations on electronics. Starmax also sell the airframe to many companies who add their own brand and electronics to it

As for the glider, I haven't heard of it, but I am just starting on Gliders and don't own one yet.

Hope I have helped
Impartial is offline Find More Posts by Impartial
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:33 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
I just picked up a Cerazd ZD 383 which is a 5 CH 2 M EPO glider with flaps, similar to the Radian Pro whereas the ZD 382 is basically the same but only 4 CH using REAT with no flaps, not sure what is the ZD 384.

http://www.gravesrc.com/ZD_FLY_EAGLE.../cerazd383.htm

http://www.gravesrc.com/ZD_FLY_ZD_38.../cerazd382.htm
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:20 AM
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Thank you Doubletap. Here is the link to another 384 glider coming up for auction. :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4CH-radio-co...item35b97a69fa
THe specs appear to be the same as 383. do you see any difference? and did you have any problem with the wings folding?

Thank you Impartial, here is the link to an upcoming auction of the ZD Fly Cessna 1400 mm:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1400mm-R-C-E...item4ab4879b59
(Hope you don't mind, its on eBay)
Last edited by KingK; Feb 26, 2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:20 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
The 383 and 384 look identical, perhaps the 383 is the PNP version whereas the 384 is RTF? BTW, I haven't flown mine yet, it's still sitting in the box, have to assemble it, it's in line in my build queue with all my other kits.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old May 04, 2012, 12:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
Hi, I bought myself one of these gliders off of eBay for 71 'RTF'. I had high hopes for this but as it arrived today, my hopes vanished. To start, ParcelForce whacked me with a 21 import fee (I know it's not a fault with the plane, but this fee made the following even more irritating).
After opening the box I found I had been sent the v-tail version instead of the t-tail it was meant to be, not to worry, I have a turnigy 9x I can use with v-tail programming anyway, although this was just the start.
Upon inspecting the contents such as the wings, I found that I need to cut the ailerons and flaps free from the wing, then hinge them using supplied hinges and foam safe CA (of which I have none and begrudge spending out for) I expected a bit of gluing, but nothing like this with a so called RTF. Also with the wings, when I tried assembling them I discovered that the supplied fibreglass tube will not fit into the metal tube it is supposed to fit inside of as they are both of the same diameter

Please tell me you guys have had more luck with this bird than I am having?
Can anyone offer any help or suggestions as to what I should do as I now have 92 worth of foam and electronics sat in a box, unable to be assembled?

Safe to say, I will think twice about where my next plane comes from.

--Edit--
I have now managed to get the wings to fit together with a lot of wiggling.

Alex.
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Last edited by abroadhurst94; May 04, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Sorry to hear that you fell for it too.
I am pursuing a refund through ebay. The item was mis represented as 4 channel but since it is a V-Tail it is rudderless and hence 3 channel only. Also the list of components says it comes with 6 servos but mine came with 4 only. I offered to keep it if they sent me the servos and a T-Tail but they said they did not have it in stock. I tried to find parts for it and could not so I decided to return this and get something that has parts support like the Hawk or Bixler.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lincoln
Joined Jun 2011
710 Posts
They must have changed the listing slightly since you then, as it now says 4 servos included. But still no mention of a V-Tail.
I thought of sending it back too but at 45 shipping, it's too much of a loss for me.
I asked if they could send out the T-Tail parts but was also told there are none in stock, their only solution is offering me a 5 partial refund!

On a good note, I can't find any more on eBay, so at least no one else can be ripped off.

Alex
abroadhurst94 is offline Find More Posts by abroadhurst94
Old May 19, 2012, 08:22 PM
United States, NM, Santa Teresa
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
ZD Fly Cessna

Hi, I'm new to the site. I actually bought a Airfield 5 ch sky Trainer and really like it. It does have issues, the ESC caught fire while taking after a battery change. Have read that it is not unusual. And the nose gear bends from taking of from grass fields. But anyway after getting the Sky Trainer my oldest son showed interest in RC flying so I watched Ebay and caught a ZD Fly Cessna on there. Won it for $80 and free shipping. Was skeptical but when it arrived was amazed that it is better built then the Airfield Sky Trainer. It's stronger built, has actual control hinges preinstalled, nose gear is spring steel and overall a very scale looking plane. I'm waiting for my son to return so we can go fly it. I cheated and have taken it for a short hop to see if it;s trimmed. No suprises, lifted off , flew 150' and set it back down. Will update after real maiden. Hope this helps.
vmikeb is offline Find More Posts by vmikeb
Old May 23, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Hi vmikeb,
I am glad to hear that you find the ZD Fly Cessna to be of good quality. I have not been able to fly mine yet due to an issue with the way the flaps were working. They were moving in apposing directions like the ailerons. I finally fixed it and may try to fly it this weekend. Did you have the same problem as well?
Do you know where the CG should be on this one?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,634 Posts
Also bought one of these ZD Fly Cessna because it was cheap - LOL.

Like the look/style of the kit, but have serious doubts about the flying quality as it's heavy. The tail is a solid chunk of foam with no air holes unlike most other foamy planes I have (see Parkzone T28, Banana Hobby MX2, etc). I will need to cut a hatch on top of the plane to access the aileron + flap connectors so I can remove the wings for transport.

The wheels and landing gear seem solid unlike my FMS (Airfield) Sky Trainer. As a relative beginner, this definitely the wrong plane for me - LOL. I'm learning as I'm crashing and building though.

Did you manage to build and fly yours?
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel