HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:56 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I don't think anyone uses the brake on these because it doesn't have a folding prop.
There's more drag stopped than spinning. I think...

Where did the horn break, down at the base?

For a Possible quick fix...
You can CA it together and feel how strong it is.
Put it on one of the elevators.
You can land with one working if it gives up.

I bet you could fly that way until the Tower ones come in.
(if some very lite hand pressure doesn't snap it right off.)
The Tower ones are a little bigger but should work ok.

These are a little closer in size:
Control Horns 13.5x16mm (10pcs)
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Mar 27, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:06 AM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
The horn broke out about 1/2 way up and took the holes all except the very bottom one. Guess I could put it in that hole and cut down on the travel if it seemed like too much throw.

I'll get some of those horns from HK when I order something again.

As for the brake, you are right, I don't think it's necessary either. I'll go back and reprogram it to not use the brake. The motor stops awful quick with it on. Wouldn't hurt to be able to feather the throttle.

Thanks for the info, maybe in the next couple of days I'll try and fly it if the weather cooperates.

Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:53 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Go for the bottom holes and fling it!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
I tried that. It broke also.

So I improvised. Got to looking at spare parts I have and found a set of control horns for flaps on my T28. It doesn't need flaps so I had several extra horns. I had to cut the bottom fins off of them and drill another hole but that was easy. Just cut the two on the vtail off smooth and glued the new ones on. Looks like it came from the factory installed! I'll see if I can post a pic of it later.

It's too late now to go out and fly today so hopefully I'll be able to try tomorrow. Today would've been a great time to fly, minimal winds and clear skies. Oh well, hope it's close to this tomorrow.

Donnie
Last edited by DragonFly711; Mar 27, 2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:08 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Looks useable.
Good luck.
2s = Full throttle.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
What kind of flight times could I expect on a 2s 800mah battery? 6 to 8 minutes sound about right?

I have 2 batteries so hopefully I'll get 15 minutes out of them, that's if I keep it in the air that long.

Donnie
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:07 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
That sounds about right. If you go really high and float in a lot, you'll do better.
Just have fun. You won't have any problem.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Finally got to get out this afternoon and gave it a go.

Found out real early on that it is definitely underpowered with the 2S batts. It flies but you have to go WOT on takeoff. That might have been helped by the fact it seemed to be a little nose heavy. I got it up to some height and it seemed to want to nose down a little and to the left so I tried to trim it out and it was much better but I've got to get the COG straightened out and get some 3S batts.

I landed twice, came in nice and smooth and slid to a stop both times no problem.

Then my son insisted on flying it. I was kinda hesitant to let him since he doesn't have a lot of stick time but I gave in. He launched OK and flew it fairly well for about a minute till he turned back towards us. He overcorrected and nosed it in. Not a lot of damage, broke a corner off the wing, already glued back on and cracked the fuse right in front of the vtail. I've glued it back together but need to figure out some better reinforcement right where the tail and fuse meet. I may run a piece of carbon fiber rod right up the middle of the fuse from the rear and glue it in and see if that helps. Nothing I couldn't fix, just knew it would happened but he just had to try. I think it'll be a bit before he gets to try it again. Needs to work on the simulator till he understands the stick movements when flying back toward you.

All in all, I like it, just want to get the 3S batts to where I can get up to some height fairly quickly and then just glide around some. It'll happen, on my way now to buy some batts.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Donnie
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I ca'd a carbon tube up the tail as you're speaking of. I think Jeebs did that.
It gets hollow about 4" in. Might help a little.
Didn't you run a tube down the length of the fuse ?
I suggest that and a wrap of shipping tape around the fuse before the tail.

I hope you're getting 800s. I think that's the sweetspot. May need a tad of tailweight added.
I cut a foam rib to put my 1000 on the floor and you'll need to do the same I'm sure. No big deal and if you cut the rib right it wedges the batt in good and tight. Cut it to one side. I put the batt toward the right and the esc sits to the left. That would be right, looking at the nose.

Glad it's in one piece.
When I was letting my friend learn on my SkySurfer, I'd take it up to a good height and run left hand circles. That's what he could fly with the greatest ease. He flew left hand circles.
So, when it's heading away I'd hand him the Tx and he'd fly the heck out of it. Round and round he'd go. If he got uncomfortable he would just hand the Tx back over. Worked great and he learned to fly very well. After a while I told him to just coast it in to the ground and land it. He did it with no problem at all. Perfect landing.
After a couple trips out doing that he was ready and went on to flying his SkyFun and Wildcat.
He still flies left hand circles and has a lot to learn but he flies and lands with no crashes.
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Mar 28, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
tail strengthening

you can't see it but the carbon strips i inserted in the tail run down into the fuselage. i have had a few less than stellar landings including a few cartwheels and my tail is still rock solid. i was originally thinking of placing the carbon strips so they overlapped and then running the carbon rod down the fuselage and through the overlapping strips. i decided against it though since it would have required a lot more work to get it all to line up and fit flush. the tail is definitely a weak point. i like your idea Dragonfly711 about running a carbon rod along the top back of the fuselage connecting to the tail. that may do the trick.
Jeebs77 is offline Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:52 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Hmm, I see now it's not too practical to wrap shipping tape around the fuse back there.
When I built mine, I ran a strip of black shipping tape nose to tail.
That actually seems to have helped a good bit.
With visibility and belly rash too.
Put 2 small plastic skids on too.
You guys have me worried about the tail skid now.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
That's neat IFlyRC. I like the way you ran the black tape from nose to tail. Gives it some contrast also.

If you look at the pics I posted of where I ran the carbon rod down the bottom of the fuse, you will see it stopped right in front of the vtail. That's where the plane cracked when my son nosed it in from about 20 ft up. It was a pretty good lick it took but I've got it all glued back together and I ran a small carbon rod into the fuselage from the rear end and glued it in so hopefully that'll give it some more stability plus I wrapped the extreme packing tape around the same area.

About the batts, you say 3S 800mah batts is preferred or even 1000's? I may could squeeze a 800 in there but that's about it. My receiver is in the way also since it's too big to mount in the bottom of the canopy.

I've got to address the COG issue also. It seemed to be nose heavy but when I check the CG at 36mm back from the leading edge, it shows to be tail heavy. Is that measurement correct? If so, the 800mah batts will offset it if it's tail heavy but it doesn't explain why it seemed to want to nose down in level flight. I was having to compensate by pulling down on the elevator stick to keep it flying level. Hope that makes sense.

Donnie
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:54 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Do you see the 2 little slit openings in the foam uinder each wing where you would put your fingers to check CG? CG is at the rear of those slits.

So I gather you didn't find any batteries locally.
1000mah seems too heavy and 500mah is too short flight time.

Free shipping over $50
(you may need proper connectors)
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl800-3s1p-40c-3333.html
This is the only 2200s I can find on the site for your Bixler:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-2200-3s1p-3333.html

We can get your 800s in it no problem. If you need pics of my compartment, I can do that.
The batt will go as rearward as you can get it. That involves cutting a little piece of foam out. Nothing to it.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I may have given incorrect info on the brake setting.
Everyone has their own opinion but I respect the fellow that started this thread over here and here's his opinion:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14119

Bottom line is do what you want. It won't make enough difference to sneeze at best I can tell.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
I'll check out the CG when I get home this afternoon. I have a 3S 800mah batt that I bought for my P-40 that I'll see if I can fit in there. If so, I might try it again this afternoon. May have to do a little foam carving to get it in there. But only have one so I'll order a few for both planes to use.

I've got about 20 - 2200mah 3S batts that I use for my 450 helis. I have 5 -450 helis and a 500 Trex but it uses 6S batts. I'll have plenty of batts for the Bixler. I also have 2 4S 2800mah batts that I have for my 2 1270mm T 28 Trojans. Big birds but good flying planes. They were my first venture into planes and definitely good trainers when set up properly.

I've already taken the brake function out of the esc menu. I don't think it's necessary or will make much difference one way or the other. I just need more power which I should get with the 800 3S batts. I have a good 20A esc on it now so I'm not too worried about frying anything. That stock one wasn't very well built.

Thanks again!

Donnie