HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
will post video and pics soon

Jeebs77 is offline Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Last edited by Jeebs77; Mar 23, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:02 PM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Thanks for the video Jeebs. I believe I've got it sorted out now. Just have to get a wire I found loose on the esc soldered back on where it'll quit loosing the signal every time I bump it.

Well, here's how it's working. Hopefully it's correct.

1. When I move the right stick to the right, the right wing aileron goes up and the left one goes down.

2. When I move the right stick to the left, the left wing aileron goes up and the right one goes down.

3. When I pull down on the right stick, the vtail flaps both go up and when I push the right stick up, the vtail flaps both go down like an elevator on a regular tail plane.

4. When I move the throttle stick to the left, the left side of the vtail goes down and the right side goes up. When moved to the right, the left side of the vtail goes up and the right side goes down.

I just resoldered the loose wire back onto the esc so it's working correctly now.

Let me know if this sounds right to you.

Thanks,
Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:11 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
DragonFly711, your movements are correct.
Your mods are going to be fine.
Good luck on your maiden!
You'd better go ahead and order some 3s batts, you're going to want them.
I've crammed a 1000 in mine but you may be better off with 800s.
3s 500s are too short flight times.
I'll make a flight report on the 1000s if wind and work ever cooperate.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
I've got a 3S 800mah battery that I bought for a P-40 that I haven't used yet. May get a few more. They aren't expensive.

But my esc is still on the blink. The wire was loose on it from the get go and I've soldered it back on twice but it won't stay. So I've got a HobbyWing 20A esc on it's way. Should be here in a couple of days. Should work well with the bigger batts. Looks like the esc that is in the plane is hard wired to the motor. If that's the case, I'll just have to cut it loose and solder some bullet connectors on the wires and esc for easier removal.

Guess I'll have to fly my heli's today.

Donnie
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:12 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
The esc and motor already have connectors. If you pull on the esc you can just pull it completely out of the plane.
One of my wires came loose and I had to split the fuse at the motor to reconnect it.
They are really small connectors though. You may want to go ahead and put some on it.
Just ca'd the fuse back together.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
I'll probably just cut the wires, install bullet connectors and leave the other connectors up in the fuse to keep from cutting it out. That way, if something happens to the esc or the motor, I can remove either one without too much trouble. Probably a good thing I found it to be iffy before I flew it and it lost signal. Saved the plane some heartache for at least a little while.

I think I'll need to move the servo rod on the vtail fins in one hole to get more deflection. It only moves about a 1/4" in both directions in the outermost hole and I've got the travel adjustment maxed out at 125% in both directions. If that's a bad idea, someone let me know. It just doesn't seem to be enough movement. The ailerons move about a 1/2" in both directions so I figure I need a bit more on the vtail fins.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Donnie
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:33 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
How experienced is your son?
You could wait and make mods after the maiden.
Just run 100% and around 30% expo on everything.

Running 2s won't pull hard enough to make much use of high throw rates.
3s is another story. I don't know much about that yet.
This thing is a pussycat and flies good out of the box.
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
Hey Dragonfly711, to get full tail movement you are right you should move the quick connectors in a few holes. i think mine are one away from the inner hole. when i built mine this looked to be the straightest path for the pushrod to travel and in turn less binding so i moved mine in. With it moved in you won't need the 125% travel throws because you will have plenty of travel. Like Ifly said your controls look correct and your mods look great. I have cartwheeled mine a few times with no tail issues. I have a video posted under the hobbyking international listing for the vector and it shows a cartwheel landing near the end of the vid. Good luck
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Thanks guys for the responses,

I'll fiddle with the servo rods in different holes and see how it looks. I'll be the one flying the plane to start with and getting it dialed in before I turn it over to my son. If I don't tear it up first.

I'll get the replacement esc in a few days and get everything back together again. Still looking at how I will get everything under the canopy. The AR500 receiver won't fit on the bottom side of the canopy as I've seen some do and it seems very crowded even with the 2s batts much less a 3s but I'll mess around with it and see what I can come up with.

I'm thinking seriously about getting a DX5E trans and use it for the Vector for my son to use. I think I saw someone selling one for $45 somewhere in the classifieds.

Sure hope all goes fairly well with this powered glider. I've got the much bigger Bixler coming for me in a few weeks and hope this thing will give me some insight into how these powered gliders behave. I've got a ton of 3s 2200mah batts that I use in my helis that I'll be able to use with the Bixler.

Just want to have some good cruising around type flying with my son.

Thanks,

Donnie
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:24 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
You'll absolutely love the Bixler. My Sky Surfer is a year old and been through heck and still flying well.
I'll be building my 2nd one soon.
You can fly the Bixler in 15mph winds and have a ball.
I learned how to fly on mine and was practicing by gliding into high winds.
Bixler is much floatier than the Vector.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Got the Hobbywing 20A esc today and soldered on all the connectors and used my Hobbywing program board to get the esc setup. I set the brake on the esc, thought that might be a good idea when gliding to have the brake engage the motor when the throttle cut. If someone has any ideas about using the brake setting, please chime in.

I went to move the servo rods to another hole on the servo horns and one of the horns snapped in half. Gotta replace that now. Any suggestions on where to get decent servo horns would be appreciated. I'll look around but I've never bought any before so I'm open to suggestions. I guess you call them horns, or the hinge connector, whatever they are called.

Just about have it ready to go once I change out the servo horn. Looking forward to some fun flying.

Donnie
Last edited by DragonFly711; Mar 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
hey dragonfly711, I have used these horns on a few planes http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK107&P=ML they are real strong and you can usually find them at any hobby store. you could always just take the old horn in and get one that is close. I have a bixler also and i replaced all the control horns with these and they have held up really well. brittle control horns seem to plague some of these chinese planes. As for the brake on the esc, I have never used it. If this was a glider with a front mounted motor and folding prop then it might make a bigger difference. i think it is more of a preference and i am sure everyone has there own.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Thanks for that Jeebs,

I don't live anywhere near a hobby store so I have to rely mostly on mail order stuff.

Those things aren't very strong. I measured them and they are 11mm x 16mm but I haven't found any that size and if I change one I might as well change both of them if they are different.

I might just make one if I can find something to make it out of. I have some small pieces of plywood but I'll look around and see what's available.

Donnie