SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Did this thing come with a spare prop?
I tossed the prop that came with mine and got a hold of an APC 5.1 x 4.5. The stock prop was too flimsy, I could not see using it.
Your question about a bent/warped prop, mine is not bent nor is the shaft. The impact it took was very light, the flip over only ended up stalling a slow revving prop. Regarding your CG - my opinion is that you are very close to spec, close enough that you can fly and trim as needed. Mine is, about 3mm foward of the cable groove. I can glide with no stalling with full up trim. My setup on the control surfaces is neutral with all trims centered. With power off I slide the elevator trim all the way down. It glides (floats) pretty nicely. I just looked at my control surfaces in the power off/glide trim mode and the control surfaces are up less than 1/16".

The APC prop was drilled out to mount on the spinner - this worked well, the prop runs pretty smooth. I am still being lazy in that I have not gone to balancing props yet. I am looking forward to smoooother power. Right now it is acceptable. I had a 30 RC vet tell me "it's fine" regarding the prop vibration.
Regarding the drilling out part - I will be modifying the correct dia. drill bit to do this job in the future. When drilling plastic with an existing hole, unless you have the prop clamped pretty well and the drill press quill secured, as soon as the cutting action begins the drill bit will speed thru the opening and, most likely you will get an oblonged hole. This is easily solved with some light grinding on the end. the cutting edge must be ground with a small flat, .04 to .07 that is basically parallel to the body of the drill. This blunts the cutting action and slows it way down, the goal is for you to have to push the drill bit thru, this allows you to remain in control, it allows you to set the prop on a flat surface and let the drill bit self center and you just keep it from turning and you slowly push the drill thru.

Jeebs77, thanks for the note on cogging. I have not yet replaced the ESC, I only have the old one that came with the plane that has no low voltage cut off. I need to get an order coming to me and get some supplies. For now the 2s setup is working pretty well - but it lacks power - I miss this and weather in Michigan is gettin to be perfect!! Earlier today there were light winds 5-12mph, had a bice flight, later at sundown it was 0-5mph - much fun. Does your 3s setup have enough strength for sustained vertical?
JohnStef is offline Find More Posts by JohnStef
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:09 PM
Will try to fly anything.
United States, TX, Athens
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Hey guys,

I just got my Vector 850. I'm new to planes, have been flying helis for several years but now starting up with the powered gliders. I have a 1270mm T28 Trojan but this pusher is all new to me, especially the v tail.

I have a few questions for those of you who own and fly one.

In putting the plane together, I'm having a hard time getting the wing servo wires down through the fuselage. Any tips on that would help. The kit came with a build manual but it's not very helpful and in Chinglish.

I have a Spectrum AR500 receiver I'm going to use. How do the v tail flaps work? Do they just work like the elevator on a conventional tail and go up and down together? Obviously no rudder, so I hope I'm thinking of that correctly.

I've mounted magnets in the fuselage and on the wings like Jeebs did to his and it works well but I've got to get the wires for the servos down into the fuselage and just haven't had much luck so far.

For batteries, I bought a couple of 800mah 2S 20-30c Turnigy's. Seems like I've read that some of you are using 3S 500mah batts. I'll probably swap over once I get the plane flying and get a better esc on it.

Any advice or tips on setup would be greatly appreciated. I'm actually building this one for my son and I have a larger Bixler glider coming in the next few weeks. Want to get this one up and going so he will have something to fly.

Thanks,

Donnie
DragonFly711 is offline Find More Posts by DragonFly711
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I had no trouble getting the wires through.
Give it another shot, they'll go.

What kind of Transmitter will be used with it?
That's relevant to setting up the v tail.

The 800 2s batts are fine but it's slow on them.
Might be just right for your situation.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
My transmitter is the DX6I.

Any tips on setting up the trans for the v tail would be appreciated.

I got the servos figured out this afternoon. Everything is ready to set up the trans and receiver. What do you hook the y harness to? The v tail or ailerons?

Thanks!
Donnie
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFly711 View Post
What do you hook the y harness to?
The Y harness is for the ailerons.
You will need to figure out a V tail mix on your radio and experiment a bit with it to get it oreinted correctly. Getting mine set up the 1st time seemed hard - but it really wan't that bad. It flys/works perfect, except when I crash. (today) But that is pilot error not a tech error!
Since you are new to this game I would STRONGLY urge you to cool off on the idea of flying soon. The fuselage at the tail is weak, in a nose down crash - it will snap off. This is what it looks like:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=vector+850

This guy does a good job of setting up a Bixler with extra strengthing spars and tape. Have a look, it will be worth it.

Sky Surfer and Bixler RC Plane Build Supplement Part1 (7 min 4 sec)

I am thinking of getting an other Vector and going thru the whole thing and adding strength. One of my big concerns is the leading edge on the foamies, mine is a wreck. The field I go to is a harvested soy bean field - the stubble is murder on the leading edge. Just today I found a video on splitting CF rod and strip to allow forming and bending to follow a curved leading edge in my case.

How to split carbon fiber rods (10 min 0 sec)
JohnStef is offline Find More Posts by JohnStef
Last edited by JohnStef; Mar 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Y- Harness ail.
One rear to ele.
One rear to rud
Give me a bit for the Tx setup.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:19 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
My Vector is on my DX7.
I hate to give instructions when I'm not actually setup for a model.
My DX6i is full and no V tails on it.
It should be a straight forward V tail setup I believe.
Oh and the Vtail Does have rudder.
They should move opposite of what the Ails do.

Go into Wingtail setup and activate V tail.
If anything moves in the wrong direction try reversing or swapping Rx hookups.
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Mar 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
My Vector is on my DX7.
I hate to give instructions when I'm not actually setup for a model.
My DX6i is full and no V tails on it.
It should be a straight forward V tail setup I believe.
Oh and the Vtail Does have rudder.
They should move opposite of what the Ails do.

Go into Wingtail setup and activate V tail.
If anything moves in the wrong direction try reversing or swapping Rx hookups.
Thanks for that info. I'll check it out on my transmitter this evening and see what it has.

Donnie
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
hey Dragonfly711 I must admit i was confused when i set mine up as well. I use a dx6i and here are my settings.
I activated both dual aileron and v-tail mixes on the transmitters "wingtailmix" category.
I plugged one aileron servo into the "ail" port of the receiver and the other into the"aux"port (i think on the ar500 it is another "ail" port instead of "aux"). keep in mind you can use the y-harness if you choose, i figured one less wire connection is good so i chose not to use it.
hook the left servo in the fuselage (the one closest to the sky surfer logo on the wing) to the "elev" port on the receiver and the other servo to the "rudd" port on the receiver. with these settings you should only have to go into the "reverse" category and reverse the elevator servo to get proper movement.
if this doesn't work you should be able to simply reverse the rudder and switch the elevator back to normal and it should give you the proper movement.
the v-tail does still act as a rudder but you don't get as flat a vertical axis (yaw) response as conventional tail designs. still very effective though.
I noticed on my model that i did not need full servo travel to reach an optimal tail response. with the travel maxed out i noticed my plane would want to roll if full up elevator was applied.
i guess every one is different though so you should have a good starting point for reference at least. happy flying.
Jeebs77 is offline Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
Thanks for the good information Jeebs.

I've been looking at the settings in the DX6I and have already created a new model and activated the v tail setting in the wingtailmix but there are several settings like differential and mixes that I'm not going to mess with right now.

I wondered why you would need a y harness if you had a 6 channel radio but that's if you don't have that many channels you would need to join them together. I may use the y harness, we'll see, but I'm just going to do some more snooping and see what everyone does. I found a lot of different things on the internet about setting up a v tail with a DX6I so I'm going to look at those also. I've got everything done except binding the receiver and hooking everything up to it. Not going to rush anything. I want it to fly as nice as yours did in your video.

Thanks for everyone's help and I'm sure I'll be asking more questions. I really want to beef up the span between the wings and the tail to keep it from snapping if I perchance nose it in. I've already put a carbon rod down the bottom of the plane from near the nose all the way back and then put extreme packing tape over it and around the nose to help prevent tearing up the foam on landings. I was thinking about maybe putting a couple of small carbon rods down each side and then wrapping it with the packing tape to give it more stability. Just don't want to add too much to it and turn it into a tank but we'll see how it goes.

Donnie
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
I got around to binding the receiver but the esc is faulty, has a short in one of the wires but after wiggling wires from esc to battery, it finally came on. Will replace it before I get to the flying stage.

I hooked the ailerons to ail and aux on the receiver and the left tail servo to the elev and right tail servo to the rudd channel.

So this is what happens with stick movements.

1. When I move the right stick on the trans to the right, the right side aileron goes up which I think is correct and the left side tail goes up also. Moving the right stick up and down does nothing.

2. When I move the left stick on the trans from side to side the left aileron and the right tail moves. I have no clue if that should do that.

Throttle works correctly but the rest of it is not registering with me right now. Guess I need to find a video of how the tail works with the ailerons.

Will continue to fiddle with it but I'm pretty sure something is not correct.

Donnie
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:08 AM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
wow, thats way off from what it should be. if you move your right stick to the left or right only the ailerons should move. make sure you have "dualail" turned on under the "wingtailmix" category of the transmitters menu. also the "vtail" should be turned on. i'll post a video of my setup tomorrow so you can check it out.
Jeebs77 is offline Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
That would help tremendously Jeebs. I'm a picture guy so a video or pics would be outstanding.

Donnie
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Any time you don't use a Y-harness on the ails, you have to activate dualail.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
110 Posts
I do have the ailerons plugged into the receiver separately since I have a 5 channel receiver so I did not use the y harness.

In the wingtail mix on the DX6I, I have the dualailerons activated and the v-tail activated. The elevons is inhibited. But there is a place in the adjust list called differential that that has a setting for dualaileron rate. It's set at 0 right now. Not sure if that needs to have some percentage in there or not.

I'm going to take each servo one at a time and plug them up and see what it does. I'll get it figured out, with you guys help of course, but I'll get there.

This can't be any harder than setting up a 3D heli.

Thanks,
Donnie