SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:03 AM
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Hi guys. I maidened the Vector today.
this..plane...is...amazing . I really didnt expect it to be this good.
edit: I just bought another for a spare.
Cheers
Very Glad the maiden went so well, awesome that you have another on the way! Look back a couple of pages about props, the APC 5.1X4.5 is a very good prop for the Vector.1101 you will get more vert with the APC because you don't carry the weight I do with all the mod's and repairs. I get 300' of vert with it, at the top of the power curve it pretty much stalls into a controlled flight path, if I work at it a bit - 70% climb rate instead of 100% vert, it flies till I don't want it to get any smaller visually. This takes 10 to 15 sec. With this prop I can fly a vertical figure 8 and inverted loops. Yes The plane is amazing!
JohnStef is offline Find More Posts by JohnStef
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:01 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
536 Posts
Hi guys.
I found the weak spot, broke the fuse completely just past the tail. ie broke the tail section off.
Yes it was a big hit that did it, caught by a nasty gust of wind & cartwheeled into the ground.
The wing survived with no damage, surprising as the wing took most off the force as it cartwheeled. A bit of a squish in the nose(cosmetic damage only). Maybe only taping only the wings gave it a bit give in the crash.
I'll be adding carbon to that rear fuselage, it was a very easy hot-glue fix.

Unfortunately I couldnt buy a spare 850, HK Int were actually all sold out. Could be months before they get restocked.

I did order its bigger brother, the 1500. Im hoping it flies just as well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18475

and found the actual manufacturer
http://www.bridgeskyrc.com/en/index.asp
1101 is online now Find More Posts by 1101
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:15 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,282 Posts
I installed a carbon flat from forward beyond the wing to the tip of the boom prior to flying mine as I'd read that this was a weak spot. The additional weight shouldn't effect the performance. I also like the look of the larger version and kinda wish I'd bought it instead of the Bixler.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:05 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
1101, pop back in here and let us know what you think of the Solo.

I want to recommend the Walrus to you guys too.
It's in a class of it's own. Think tractor Bixler w. flaps. Awesome plane.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:43 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
1101, pop back in here and let us know what you think of the Solo.

I want to recommend the Walrus to you guys too.
It's in a class of it's own. Think tractor Bixler w. flaps. Awesome plane.
hmmn
My original choice was a toss up between the Walrus & Solo . I got the solo as Im still a bit crashy & pusher planes take the hits better.
A Walrus may just be the wishlist for me then, if the Solo is not actually in stock
Its Chinese new year holidays, so I know it will be a while before anything happens at HK.
1101 is online now Find More Posts by 1101
Old Jun 06, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined May 2007
866 Posts
Has anyone tried an APC 5x5 folder on 3s?
xatled99 is offline Find More Posts by xatled99
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xatled99 View Post
Has anyone tried an APC 5x5 folder on 3s?
Have not tried this - seems like a win win idea - go for it!
Do you have a Vector?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined May 2007
866 Posts
I will tomorrow
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
43 Posts
I have decided to retire my Vector - not by any means because it is boring or old hat - hardly! This plane excites me! I just can't trim it in after all of the rough treatment I have given it. The strenghtening I added helped a great deal, up until the last bad crash I could still get substantial vertical out of it with a 3s 1000ma bat. but alas, it snap rolls coming out of a dive or when looping. Be clear, this is not a design flaw on the part of this air frame, it was my poorly executed repair, and I don't know how to make needed corrections.

Oh how I miss this plane - all right enough - move on already!!

Right now it is a little pricey for my budget so I am building an other airfame - we shall see where this ends up, maybe back to a Vector in the future.

Xalted, please keep the speed on the fast side as you go thru the initial getting to know the new plane phase, this will avoid the tip stall issues, and will save bench/repair time and keep you where you know you belong - high in the air!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined May 2007
866 Posts
Thanks. I used a Solo 1500 for fpv last year, I expect the Vector will have similar tendencies. I'll post some wattmeter results. I'm concerned that the kv will be a bit high for 5x5 on 3s, but we'll see!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 02:52 PM
Qualified foam surgeon
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Apr 2012
732 Posts
So is this bird supposed to have that little anhydral or has the wing become warped?
FlyGuy3345 is offline Find More Posts by FlyGuy3345
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:09 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
To my knowledge there has never been an issue with the wing.
It was a suspicion by the original poster proven to be unfounded.
There's a lot of good insight to the flight characteristics in this thread.
I recommend going through it.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Sep 01, 2013, 02:45 PM
Qualified foam surgeon
Joined Apr 2012
732 Posts
My buddy acquired this used Vector a while ago but it he nose dived it into the ground and the previous owners glued the tail back on crooked. I have since repaired the plane and straightened the tail back out, other then that this plane is in good condition. I have experience with flying FMS 800mm warbirds so i assume this should be a cinch for me. I will be using 3s power on it. Any heads up or warnings that I should know before I attempt a flight on this bird??
Old Sep 01, 2013, 02:49 PM
Qualified foam surgeon
Joined Apr 2012
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs77 View Post
here are some pics of some mods to the vector 850. I am at about 340grams with a 11.1v 500mah or 7.4v 850mah battery. A little heavy but my whole reasoning for my mods are that this is my new backpack plane (needs to be sturdy and able to have the wing easily removed) and will be sloped at some cool off the beaten path sites, so we'll see how it does!!!
Where did you put the ESC when you modded the lipo bay?? I don't see it in the pic
I am trying to free up as much space in there as I can and it looks like the ESC was set further back. Is it behind the servo's??
Old Sep 01, 2013, 02:58 PM
Qualified foam surgeon
Joined Apr 2012
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStef View Post
Regarding the drilling out part - I will be modifying the correct dia. drill bit to do this job in the future. When drilling plastic with an existing hole, unless you have the prop clamped pretty well and the drill press quill secured, as soon as the cutting action begins the drill bit will speed thru the opening and, most likely you will get an oblonged hole. This is easily solved with some light grinding on the end. the cutting edge must be ground with a small flat, .04 to .07 that is basically parallel to the body of the drill. This blunts the cutting action and slows it way down, the goal is for you to have to push the drill bit thru, this allows you to remain in control, it allows you to set the prop on a flat surface and let the drill bit self center and you just keep it from turning and you slowly push the drill thru.
I have found it is almost impossible to get a perfect hole from a drill bit due to the un-even nature of drill bits, you will always get some wandering of the bit. I found this works loads better and it is in almost any hardware store. It works great.
You have to come at the hole from both sides due to it's taper and when the diameter is getting real close to the fit you have to go at it REAL slow. My prop holes are all perfectly balanced.