HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:47 PM
Registered Rebuilder
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Feb 2004
108 Posts
Question
Turnigy 9x w/ er9x and NiMH

I've flashed my 9x to er9x firmware. I use eneloops in all my other transmitters and was planning to use them in this transmitter as well. Should I be making some type of modification to the battery holder to reduce the number of cells? If the transmitter is happy on a 2s lxx, wouldn't the full tray of 8 NiMH be high on the voltage and cause some extra heat on the voltage regulator circuit?

The easiest mod I can think of would be to cut a dowel to the size of a battery and put a metal plate on each end connected by wire so everything fits in an unmodified battery holder.

Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Thanks.
jduvall is offline Find More Posts by jduvall
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,400 Posts
I've run mine for about an hour then put my finger on the regulator and it wasn't real hot. I run on a 3s lipo. Lowering the input voltage will push the heat down, but I think concern over it is overblown. It was designed to use 8xAA (12v).
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jun 2004
1,746 Posts
Not really worth your trouble. We did a calculation a while back showing that the power dissipation is so low that the regulator only rises by 10-15 deg C in a really worst case scenario. It won't conk out with 8 NIMH batteries.

That being said, the holder is, to put it mildly, a piece of XXXX. I think that a substantial chunk of problems with this radio have to do with the holder. Just seems too flimsy to trust.
There are $9 LiFE batteries out there just begging to be put on a radio. Better to charge and lasts much longer. Why mess around with enelopes?
erazz is offline Find More Posts by erazz
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:49 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Just get this, it's a PERFECT fit and I haven't had any issues with it.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17955

However, you need one of those 4-button chargers to charge LiFe batteries. (Such as iMax B6)
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
Registered Rebuilder
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Feb 2004
108 Posts
Guys,
thanks for the input. some things to think about.
jduvall is offline Find More Posts by jduvall