SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Looks like maybe tomorrow could be the big day for the maiden!!!......Winds maxing out @ 11mph....I'm thinking that late in the afternoon the winds will die down to about nothing...Sunday looks to be 60* with the winds @14mph......

Here is a pic of the 350mAh 4S batts...I had to shrink wrap them like this so that they would fit...If you put Velcro on the batts like modelers normally do the added thickness of the Velcro makes the battery pack too high for the canopy to fit...With 250mAh batts you can use the Velcro between the battery layers to stack them..
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I didn't have anything better to do so I weathered the little guy...Since the cameras flash creates a lot of reflectivity in the silver metallic paint the weathering doesn't really show up well in the pics...I used chalk and then sealed the weathering with Krylon flat clear just misted on like hairspray...Here are a few pics of the Sabre as well as of the A-10 I weathered..The Sabre weathering looks like the A-10 but again, the reflectivity doesn't show the weathering well...The A-10 is still work in progress, hence not all of the surfaces not being weathered...I'm planning on making a short "How To" video on weathing featuring the A-10...I'll supply a link when I get the vid done...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 24, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Looks like maybe tomorrow could be the big day for the maiden!!!......Winds maxing out @ 11mph....I'm thinking that late in the afternoon the winds will die down to about nothing...Sunday looks to be 60* with the winds @14mph......

Here is a pic of the 350mAh 4S batts...I had to shrink wrap them like this so that they would fit...If you put Velcro on the batts like modelers normally do the added thickness of the Velcro makes the battery pack too high for the canopy to fit...With 250mAh batts you can use the Velcro between the battery layers to stack them..
Could you lay the packs flat?
not sure if that could help ??

Quote:
I didn't have anything better to do so I weathered the little guy...Since the cameras flash creates a lot of reflectivity in the silver metallic paint the weathering doesn't really show up well in the pics...I used chalk and then sealed the weathering with Krylon flat clear just misted on like hairspray...Here are a few pics of the Sabre as well as of the A-10 I weathered..The Sabre weathering looks like the A-10 but again, the reflectivity doesn't show the weathering well...The A-10 is still work in progress, hence not all of the surfaces not being weathered...I'm planning on making a short "How To" video on weathing featuring the A-10...I'll supply a link when I get the vid done...

Kevin
Please do!!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Could you lay the packs flat?
not sure if that could help ??
They are laying flat---Do you mean side by side???....You have to have an area for the servo wires to go through to get to the nose mounted RX...I have the wires routed on the side next to the batts...I even removed some foam to get more room...25C 350mAh batts are pretty large so more room is needed...You probably could get by with 15C batts but I've gotta say this---Even running the fan for a 20 second full throttle burst (Which is a loooong time to be @ full throttle with this much power) I didn't hear the motor's RPM sag at all...Which could happen using smaller and cheaper "C" rated packs...

Kevin
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
Quote:

looks like you know alot about these mini edf's...so i'm gonna wait on your maiden flight before i pull the trigger. lookin good so far
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
looks like you know alot about these mini edf's...so i'm gonna wait on your maiden flight before i pull the trigger. lookin good so far
Naaaahh!!!...Only my 5th "mini/micro" jet (50mm or less) but I've been flying jets since 1985...IC powered ducted fans, then turbines, now nothing but electrics...I like the no mess and cheaper electrics...I "currently" (No pun intended!!!.....) have a few larger electric ducted fans like a 90mm Hawk, Habu 32, 64mm F-16, and 64mm Vector, 70mm Hawk, 70mm ViperJet, 70mm Habu, twin 70mm A-10 as well as a few others....I've had quite a few of the smallish mini Alpha Models ducted fan models before the micro craze hit......I like the idea of getting a small plane to work---Due to it being MORE work!!!...Nothing like a challenge...I have my own smallish scratch built "micro" on the building boards based on the Tom Cook Jet Model Products "Firebird". ..Sized for 40mm fans...Like everything else, I've been too busy to complete it...

Anyway, I hope to maiden the Sabre this weekend!!!......

Kevin
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:51 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
Quote:
They are laying flat---Do you mean side by side???....You have to have an area for the servo wires to go through to get to the nose mounted RX...I have the wires routed on the side next to the batts...I even removed some foam to get more room...25C 350mAh batts are pretty large so more room is needed...You probably could get by with 15C batts but I've gotta say this---Even running the fan for a 20 second full throttle burst (Which is a loooong time to be @ full throttle with this much power) I didn't hear the motor's RPM sag at all...Which could happen using smaller and cheaper "C" rated packs...

Kevin
I'm thinking more like end to end.. lengthwise
and the smaller C rated packs like you say I think wont hold up to the task of these little amp hogs
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Looks like the maiden will have to wait until tomorrow...The wind has been slowly shifting from the N-N/W to out of the west...That means launching into the sun---I'm not gonna do that!!!...+ the winds are still pretty stiff (10mph) for maidening a micro/mini...

Tomorrow, the winds are supposed to shift to out of the S/W but be higher @ 15mph...I'm thinking a late morning maiden before the winds kick up or even a late afternoon maiden as the winds die down...

Kevin
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Looks like the maiden will have to wait until tomorrow...The wind has been slowly shifting from the N-N/W to out of the west...That means launching into the sun---I'm not gonna do that!!!...+ the winds are still pretty stiff (10mph) for maidening a micro/mini...

Tomorrow, the winds are supposed to shift to out of the S/W but be higher @ 15mph...I'm thinking a late morning maiden before the winds kick up or even a late afternoon maiden as the winds die down...

Kevin
Keep us posted man!
the weather around here has been nuts with the extra cold and constant winds
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
I noticed something today---Look at the pic of the tailcone of the 35mm SkyAngel MiG and the 30mm ArtTech Sabre...The AT Sabre has a MUCH smaller diameter outlet as compared to the SA MiG...I'm thinking that the exhaust velocity of the Sabre will be considerably higher than the MiG...The MiG has been Dopplered @ 70mph...I'm running the same batts in the Sabre but only a 30mm fan...Even though the fan is smaller, the rotor is more aggressive...I'm thinking that the two (high "C" rated batts/more agressive rotor design) may produce about the same static thrust as the MiG but the Sabre may have a higher velocity...Hence slightly higher airspeed......I'm also thinking that the MiG needs a nip/tuck to get the velocity up for higher top speeds---After all--I have to at least get CLOSE to the speeds Nitro is getting with his MiG!!!......

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 25, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Keep us posted man!
the weather around here has been nuts with the extra cold and constant winds
I will!!!---The high here today was 48*---Which is the normal average high for January around here...It was 82* here two days ago!!!...Yo-yo temps---Just right for making you SICK!!!...Tomorrow is supposed to be around 60* but the south wind picking up...I want to fly this thing SO BADLY but I have to keep my emotions in check and not rush the maiden like I did with the GP Sabre...Just to keep my fingers limber and keep my flying addiction in check I flew my HH Sbach in the back yard today---At NIGHT!!!...(I have lights on her).......

Kevin
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:01 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
i just placed an order for one of these...BH had a free shipping offer. so i couldn't pass on that
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
i just placed an order for one of these...BH had a free shipping offer. so i couldn't pass on that
Great!!!...Post as many of your pics/thoughts in this thread if you like!!!...

Free shipping???...I tried to use the coupon on their website when I ordered and it was expired...Kinda ruffled my feathers a bit as I thought that the ad should have been taken down when expired...Their loss---I would have ordered more with the free shipping!!!...I ended up picking up some RC accessories somewhere else that had free/reduced shipping...Anyway, free shipping would have saved me almost 20 bucks...Let us know battery-wise how you plan to power yours and if you try 4S with the stock ESC tell us if your fan/motor exhibits the low RPM "stutter" like mine...The way the wind is whipping around today you may end up maidening yours before mine!!!

Kevin
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,019 Posts
The maiden isn't going to happen today.......Just too freakin' windy!!!...I flew my 800mm T-28 in the back yard a few minutes ago and it got bounced around quite a bit...Winds are @15mph and gusty...I'm not going to rush it like I did with my GP F-86...Sometimes you get complacent---Even a little bit cocky thinking that you can fly anything @ anytime---Then, reality bites you in the butt!!!......I'm gonna wait 'til the winds die down....

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Feb 26, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
bro I hear ya!
on my way to church today, my Bemer was getting tossed around..
and still the winds are a constant 15-20mph with 35mph+ gusts