HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
clear

Ken,

Hang in there it always works out in the end. Went to my local paint store today and they had qt. cans of Rusto for 50% off.. Bought sever yellows, not as bright as the Krylon yellow, two cans of red and a couple of white and black. Not sure what I'll so with it but it's on hand if I need it.

On your next one give Rusto a try. Very easy to use.

Well keep at it and don't rush it..

Rick
carrier flyer is offline Find More Posts by carrier flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:12 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrier flyer View Post
Ken,

Hang in there it always works out in the end. Went to my local paint store today and they had qt. cans of Rusto for 50% off.. Bought sever yellows, not as bright as the Krylon yellow, two cans of red and a couple of white and black. Not sure what I'll so with it but it's on hand if I need it.

On your next one give Rusto a try. Very easy to use.

Well keep at it and don't rush it..

Rick

Sounds like you have to build more airplanes!!

I think the paint is firm enough to start sanding off the sharp edge where the tape was. I'll cover up all the yellow and shoot the red, maybe, later today??? My better half suggested I put the wing between the outer storm door and the inside door. It is a mini hot house at about 100 degrees. So far you can smell the paint so I know it's curing! No good solution for the fuse so I'll just have at it. Not much to do in the fuse so that will move quickly. Well, I need to tear myself away from this darn computer to get some work done.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,822 Posts
Taa daaaaaaaaa

Paint is done except for some flat black where the top of the dash would be under the canopy and a light sanding and clear coat.

Nothing fancy, but I was trying to develop a paint scheme that would be visible in many conditions.

Here is the method to my madness on the paint. Red and yellow go together like bread and butter..... At least in my opinion Although the red will turn dark under most conditions. The yellow should stand out 90% of the time. Lengthwise stripes on the top of the wing and cord wise on the bottom to differentiate top from bottom. (DUH) So why the yellow lengthwise stripe on the bottom of the wing??? Hopefully it will provide some visual cues while landing. The yellow should be more visible than the red and I'm hopping will help in keeping the wings level. I'm also hoping it will make the flair for landing a little easier to pick out. Don't know why I painted the back of the cockpit red.... Just because The instrument panel is getting a photo of some instruments on it and the floor is grey just for something different. It's just the primer.

OK so here are the photos. Enjoy!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:50 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,204 Posts
She looks nice !
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
clear

Hey Ken,

Nothing wrong with that, it looks really good. Now for those airbrushed flames. Oh yea.....

What's next clear coat. If you used Krylon you might spray a test panel or two to test before clearing. Give it at least a month before clearing. Let her sit in the sun of a couple of day, really helps the dry time. I take you have seen sun in IA the past few days..

Keep up the good work..

Rick
carrier flyer is offline Find More Posts by carrier flyer
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,822 Posts
Rick,

I was thinking it'll get flames the next time it crashes I think if I sand it really well to open up the paint, let it set outside in the sun it will only take a week or so to cure out. I made a couple of phone calls / e-mails, one to a local person and one to Callie Graphics and it would cost about $24 to do the Breitling graphics. I definitely want the wings done (about $15). I'm unsure about the rest????

I just got back from a two day training school for Kubota products. Now a couple of days to catch up and I have to work Saturday It's supposed to be around 80 Sat & Sun. I'm charging my Sig King Cobra as I'm writing this. It has a brandy spanky new Tigre 60 on the nose that needs to be run a bit to set the needles and at least make a fairly reliable idle. A tank or two should do it. I like to fly my engines for break in.

Of course this is PERFECT motorcycle riding weather also.... what to do, what to do

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,822 Posts
Just in case somebody is wondering how the project is coming along..... I'm still watching the paint dry, HEY, don't laugh. This is going to be a real contest next year in the UK.

http://www.digitalspy.com/odd/news/a...announced.html

All our "warm" and sunny weather has gone away for a bit. The temp is above normal by about 15 degrees but cloudy and rainy for the last 5 or 6 days. My plane is in the warmest spot in the house for now to help the drying process. I can still smell it pretty good but the odor is dissipating. I wish I had a hot box ( 100 +). A couple of days in that and it would be dry enough.

In case one is not enough... http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/886822-...ional-interest

Back to watching the paint dry......

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:47 PM
Coeur d' alene, Id.
Joined Jan 2010
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
She looks nice !
Tom ben trying to catch up to you every since I read your statement about Alsa chrome in Painting tips. Have you actually used it and what can you tell me about it .Do you have pictures or site info. that could provide more info. Thanks, Leroy
Leroy Gardner is offline Find More Posts by Leroy Gardner
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:40 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
Tom ben trying to catch up to you every since I read your statement about Alsa chrome in Painting tips. Have you actually used it and what can you tell me about it .Do you have pictures or site info. that could provide more info. Thanks, Leroy
After talking to the people at Alsa, I decided not to use their product. A friend did use it, and didn't care for it.

Both of us were looking to reproduce a polished metal surface, almost like chrome. This paint will not do that. As such, it was not suitable for our usage.

http://www.alsacorp.com/
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,822 Posts
Graphics from Callie Graphics have been ordered. I'm not sure if they will make it by the weekend or not. My luck...not The paint hardly has a smell to it. The last week has been rather cool so not much drying taking place. In any case it's off to the automotive paint store for some good two part clear.

After the clear is on I'll have my ARF. Radio gear, hinging and engine next. I'm almost afraid to fly the thing On the other hand IT WILL NOT be a hanger queen.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:44 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,204 Posts
Ken, on your next paint job, you may want to try Rustoleum.

I painted this Cessna over the last week.

I've been told that rattle can Rustoleum is good to 15%.
This eliminates the need for a clear coat.
This model was painted from a quart can, and sprayed using a gun.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Ken, on your next paint job, you may want to try Rustoleum.

I painted this Cessna over the last week.

I've been told that rattle can Rustoleum is good to 15%.
This eliminates the need for a clear coat.
This model was painted from a quart can, and sprayed using a gun.
Tom, Did you use a hardener in the paint?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2012, 02:10 PM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,204 Posts
Yes, I used hardener, but the day before I sprayed a Cub, using aerosol cans of Rustoleum.

I have been assured that Rustoleum aerosol cans are good to 15%.

Using quart cans, and a spray gun, I thin the Rustoleum 55% acetone, to 45% Rustoleum. I then add the Hardener.

The hardener does the obvious. It alsop raises the gloss and adds to the chemical resistance of the paint.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,822 Posts
OK sounds good. I know I've painted my last airplane with rattle cans. I will find a way to use my gun from this point forward. It's so much easier to control the paint and the amount you put on the plane. If you have a thin spot you can just fog in the spot and make it match the rest of the plane.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:02 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,204 Posts
The Cub, painted with Rustoleum rattle cans, came out very well. Any light spots were easily blended in.

If you go that route, buy one of those trigger handles, that allow you to spray like you were holding a gun. They give you more control, and your fingers don't hurt when you're finished.