HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:19 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,732 Posts
Rick, what do you reduce your Rustoleum with ?

I've been using acetone, but in warm weather it seems to set up too fast, not allowing the Rustoleum to flow out.

On my next paint job, I'll switch to mineral spirits, which should slow things down a bit.

I like the effects of the automotive hardener, in the Rustoleum, with it's improved hardness and gloss.

This Sig Spacewalker was painted using Rustoleum and hardener.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:54 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
I decided to cheap out on the primer and rattle canned it. It is going to be a lot more work though. The rattle can primer, while it covers and sands well, is much harder to control coverage (to heavy). I gained a lot of weight on the wing from primer alone. Oh well, at least I get more experience sanding

There are a couple of places near my LHS that carry the auto color paint. My LHS is only 130 miles away. So next time I'm there I'll pick some up.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, OH, Ashtabula
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
clear

Hello Tom,

I use mineral spirits to thin. I have used just about every paint system know to modelers and found that the Rustolum system with hardner is the way to go.(Next to auto air) Not to expesive and easy to use. The hardner was the answer. Like you said high gloss and quick drying. Without the hardner took several days to flash off before you could apply a second color. With the hardner I 've done a second color in 6 hours and that was with tapeing for the second color.

Using Rustolum I usually wait about a week before flying.

With auto air I painted the Skyraider from first color to clear in an hour and a half within 24 hours it was ready to fly...now that's fast.

I ued spray can primer on a lot of builds but since it's so thin you have to use several cans at $8.00 a can. In the long run it's cheaper to use 2 part and spray. Inital cost of a compressor and spray equipment is expenisve but over the long run at will become cheaper. Now that's if you paint alot like I do.

Post some pictures. Need any advice, let me know...

Rick
carrier flyer is online now Find More Posts by carrier flyer
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:42 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,732 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation on mineral spirits, Rick. Folks around here were trying to get me to use faster solvents, which in my opinion, would make the problem worse.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
rusto

Hey Tom,

Over the years I have learned not to use something other than what the paint companys recommed. When I paint it's usually between 60 and 80 degrees. I haven't had a problem using spirts due to temp. change. When you start using different temp. reducers I think you gamble on getting it right.

That's what I like about Auto Air, Iv'e used it as low as 50's and well into the 90's without special reducers. I use their reducer according to their directions. Whats nice about it you dry it with a heat gun. It flashes really fast and your ready for your next color including tapeing. (Oh! but the way I do not work for them) I just love telling other painters when I run across a really good product.

When you put your last color on, dry it with a heat gun and your ready for clear. In my clear I aways use med. reducer and haven't had any problems.

Rick, who loves to sand and paint.
Last edited by carrier flyer; Mar 01, 2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: err
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:30 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrier flyer View Post

I ued spray can primer on a lot of builds but since it's so thin you have to use several cans at $8.00 a can. In the long run it's cheaper to use 2 part and spray. Inital cost of a compressor and spray equipment is expenisve but over the long run at will become cheaper. Now that's if you paint alot like I do.

Post some pictures. Need any advice, let me know...

Rick
Compressor, guns, excreta are no problem. I have a 2 HP compressor and 4 guns of varying age and style. It's the temp that I'm contending with right now. Highs are running in the low 30's, so nothing going outside the house for the time being. I suppose I could drag the hose in through the door and into the basement. I'd have to do that while the wife is gone The water base wold be nice as, I'm assuming, there is very little smell.

We have a Hobby Lobby (craft store) close. Would they have anything in the model department that would be close to the Auto Air stuff. At this point I just want to get some color on the plane as our club is having a mall show coming up soon.

My rebuild thread here with some photos so far. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10804273/tm.htm I'll post up some more this evening of my primer job so far.

Thanks!

Ken

Tom, That is a NICE looking space walker!!!
Last edited by kenh3497; Mar 02, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
clear

Hello,
I have the same problem this time of year. The Auto Air has a faint odor to it. It's the smell of the clear that will make the family move out. I usually paint my color in the basement and then I use Auto Air transparent extender to seal it until I can clear coat. Sometimes months go by until I can get it done. Same weather you have. The Auto Air will hold out. You can also ues a barrier coat such as PPG or House of Color, but you'll need $$$$ and a place to spray, again they have a strong odor. The trans extender has a slight smell but the heat gun will dry it fast and it's gone.

I've never seen Auto Air in a craft store. I get mine through an art store in the Cleveland area.

I'm not sure how your'e going to get by the weather and temp. problem unless you can heat you area you can spray in.

I checked your build forum and it looks like your doing an outstanding job. Please don't rush it, a mistake in painting can become a real nightmare. Guess how I know...

One solution would be to paint with Auto Air (mail order some) and see if you can get a body shop or another person to spray the clear.

Rick
Last edited by carrier flyer; Mar 02, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling err
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:32 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
Well................... I went to the local Hobby Lobby last night after work. I checked out their paint. They have Createx (spelling) paint. $6 for 2 oz. I then went over to the "craft paints". Many varieties of brands and colors and a lot of it is an "acrylic" water base paint. I bought a bottle of the most expensive they had. It was a whole $1.27 I'm going to experiment when I get a chance and have my body shop owner friend, who is also a club member, shoot some leftover clear on to see what happens.

I'm going to rattle can the two colors on my plane this weekend (lacquer) and then when it warms up will color sand and maybe a clear coat of clear lacquer or 2 part. This is going to be a work horse everyday flyer so no need to put a show stopper paint job on it.

All this paint madness is in preparation for a 20%, Zlin 526 AS, build I've just started to dabble on. I think there are five colors on that plane and a lot of striping. I might build it as an ASF??? The ASF has a lot more choices of paint schemes, but same are VERY involved.

I'll post some photos when I get the color on. I was going to post some last night, but got to watching too much boob tube

Ken
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
clear

[Ken,

Any painting yet. Post when you can.

Rick
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:47 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrier flyer View Post
[Ken,

Any painting yet. Post when you can.

Rick

I shot the yellow on the wing a couple of days ago. I thought I had it nice and clean..... Well, tons of dirt in the paint . I wet sanded last night and it's looking much better. I need to shoot another coat of yellow, to give an even color.

I forgot, part of my painting prep is to "dust" with my gun before I shoot the color on. I'm rattle canning it, so no dusting took place. Time to break out the tack rag I guess. I had a couple of fish eyes also. Not bad and I thing had I not been in such a hurry and dusted a couple of light tack coats I would have not had a problem. I using Krylon lacquer.

I'll try to post a photo tonight when I get home.

Ken
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
OK! Here are some photos. Good thing the guy taking the photos is a crappy photographer. Other wise you'd see all the defects..... I forgot all about the rudder and elevators. I have to prime them also. They are in the first coat of primer so I'm going to wait until I get them finished, so I can paint them with the fuse. Maybe I'll get done by fall

I hope it loads but I have included a photo of my inspiration for my paint. It won't be exact, but close enough for church work. I am checking to see what vinyl letters would cost me though, to add a bit of flair to the project.

After several tries it won't load so go here... http://www.airliners.net/photo/CAP-A...232/1840886/L/
Last edited by kenh3497; Mar 07, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
clear

Hello ken,

Check that Krylon close I didn't know they made a laquer. I know Krylon is not fuel proof unless your using gas, or that other one I don't like to say. EEEEElectric (couldn't hardly get that out). If the Krylon is enamal you'll have to break it open, wet sand, and let it dry really good before 2 part clear. IT will lift if it's not cured....

Yellows a hard color to paint. The yellow on my Commander took 4 light coats to get good coverage. Buy once it's on, BAMB, it's stands out.

To bad you don't live close by I'll love to do the flames.

Keep at it's looking good. Post post post..can't wait to see the finish product.

Oh ya, fine line tape is right up there with gold. Should last a long time. I some times use Scotch magic tape but don't tell anyone.

Rick
Last edited by carrier flyer; Mar 08, 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: same old problem spelling
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:28 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
Ha Ha about the tape. I have (notice my hand over my mouth) black electrical tape on the wing I like the vinyl tape I posted about except for one thing. It sticks too good. I have to remember to pull it back on it's self when removing. It pulled the primer in a couple of spots when I was repositioning the tape line. That or I need to "de-stick" a bit before applying.

I know about yellow..... The other one is red..... my other color. I was thinking about a deep blue. Oh well, this is gong to be a flying machine, not a hanger queen so if the paint is a bit rough, so be it.

I thought the Krylon was a lacquer paint as it has acetone in it. When I sanded the first coat of yellow, it didn't sand like lacquer and smelled a bit more like enamel. I've pretty much decided I need to clear it with something.

Much of this rebuild is in preparation for building my 20% Zlin 526. The building not so much, as the finishing process. I've been out of the hobby for 10+ years and just returned this past summer. I have a lot of catching up to do!!

I finished taping up the fuse, rudder and elevators tonight. I'll shoot a bit of paint Friday night and hopefully shoot the red on Sunday........ If everything goes to plan which I doubt it will

Ken
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:18 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
@#$^@#$%&@$^#^% Rattle can paint...

Not so much the paint, as the can. The thing stated spraying and wouldn't shut off. Of course paint everywhere except where I wanted it First coat on the fuse and tail parts. Now I'm stuck until I can run to town and exchange it for a new can. At least I got some paint out of it before it failed. I was concerned I would be two squirts short of finishing the plane. Now I know one more can will do the job.

Best laid plans to finish the color this weekend are blown...... maybe

Ken
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:37 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
4,167 Posts
Well, all the yellow is on. I pulled the masking off tonight just a few minutes ago. The paint is still a bit soft so It will set nest to the furnace outlet tonight to cure a bit. Electrical tape works OK, more or less to mask with. It is a bit to sticky as it pulled the primer in a couple of spots. It may have been my fault for not getting the surface perfectly clean though????? I used a bit of lightweight spackle and some thin ca to fill in the holes and re prime. I need to lightly sand the tape edges to knock off the tape line and then I'll retape all the yellow and spray the red. I painted the cowl already and I thing the red covers worse that the yellow It might be a day or two before I can spray the red as I want the yellow really set up so it doesn't pull with he tape.

The light is at the end of the tunnel 'cause I can see it.

Ken