SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:03 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Question
Beacon Foam Tac Glue vs. 2 Part Epoxy

I am looking for some collective input from anyone with experience using Beacon Foam Tac glue to completely assemble a foamie EDF jet. I have used the glue in the past on a pusher prop depron foam jet and I liked it. It seems very strong and it's also very nice not having to mix the two bottles together. However, I am still in the mindset of using 2 part epoxy when it comes to more high performance aircraft like EDF jets. If anyone has any personal experience with the stuff, I would be interested in your input. Thanks in advance.

stekeye
stekeye is offline Find More Posts by stekeye
Last edited by stekeye; Feb 21, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:14 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Although planes aren't designed to crash, I (along with a few others) crashed my 50mm F35 on both wings before. It started with epoxy joints for the wings, but after one failed, I used Tac. Then it happened again, but the Tac joint held up fine. The other epoxy joint failed. I tacked the second wing joint and all is well. I made sure to peel the old epoxy off first though. With that said, Tac all the way for me.

I can't reference to larger models as I have none.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
852 Posts
foam-tac or UHU por for EPO foam, epoxy for EPS foam is what i use.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:07 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Oh ya, the was EPO.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:28 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Thanks guys,
The jet I am about to put together is a 70mm, F-16 and it is an all EPO kit. Most people I have heard from with this glue overwhelmingly recommend it. It just confirms everything you all have written. Thanks for your input.

Stekeye
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:54 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Make sure to peel the paint off of the surfaces before you glue them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,068 Posts
I never used Foam Tak on my EDFS as the glue is somewhat flexible when dry. I have use it on parkflyer foamies with no issue (up to about 50 mph models). I did use it to repair a foam hinge on one of my faster 50mm EDFs as the foam hing tore on the elevator and read that Foam Tak is good for that and I applied the glue and let it dry and it worked like a charm, flexes OK and I can not pull the foam hinge apart. My $.02
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,386 Posts
for EPO I use Goop! The foam will soften a bit but then strengthen real nice. FoamTac is OK but Goop seems to hold better. On the harder plastics like EPS I like epoxy as the other glues don't seem to dry inside the joints.
stanordave is online now Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:24 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Hey Guys,
Thanks again for the input. I actually found a guy who works for FMA Direct with some extensive background with EDFs and who uses the Beacon Foam Tac glue on a regular basis. He gave this glue very high remarks for assembling EPO EDF jets and expressed no reservations in even using it to secure wings. I am getting close to starting a foamie build with my son and I am going to be ordering some foam from RCFoam. I am thinking about purchasing some extra sheets of EPO foam and conducting some stress tests with the Beacon Foam Tac glue and traditional 2 part epoxy, side by side. It would be nice to get some actual data collected to be able to present to the forum members who might be looking for other adhesive options to use on their aircraft. BTW, anyone know how to calculate wing loading numbers for different size aircraft travelling at different speeds??? Thanks.

Stekeye
Last edited by stekeye; Feb 22, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:30 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,792 Posts
never herd of this glue (foam tack)??? where do you get it
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
Tomball, TX
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
I bought mine from www.YardbirdRC.com The brand name is Beacon Adhesives. Their website is www.beaconadhesives.com. They are based in Mt. Verson, NY and have been making all sorts of adhesives for a very long time. The glue we are talking about is called Beacon Foam Tac Glue, made especially for several kinds of foam, including Depron and EPO.

You can buy it from a lot of hobby stores (I know Don's RC carries it, for example). As a matter of fact, I picked up a bottle today from my LHS. I have also heard, but have not verified, that they sell the same thing in the Walmart craft section. Apparently, it is packaged in a different looking bottle though but the same brand name.

Stekeye
Last edited by stekeye; Feb 22, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Feb 2007
858 Posts
How long does it take for this stuff to set? I have always used dollar store CA on my EPO foamies with no issues. I just built a GWS F-15 and used locktite 1 min epoxy. That stuff was fantastic!
toughitaliankid is offline Find More Posts by toughitaliankid