HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Discussion
DJI Naza - DJI F450 or XAircraft X650?

I personally prefer the look of the X650 as I cannot see a way to mount a camera under the DJI F450? Are under carriages available for the F450? Also, the X650 seems neater in that electronics are hidden away under a cover.

Has anyone owned both and can compare durability, spares, payload, etc. The F450 ARTF combo is a good deal. I am looking at a barebones X650 as I believe the XAircraft ESCs dont work with the Naza. Is that correct?
totality is offline Find More Posts by totality
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Anyone?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:30 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,041 Posts
A roll and tilt is avaliable for the 450 flamewheel and the 550 hex - www.x468.com
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,050 Posts
DJI wins HANDS DOWN. I have flown both and was a tester for the X650 and was one of the 1st to get 1 in the U.S. They were great 1.5 years ago but FC's have come along way since then and Xair is still the same.
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,050 Posts
Here is one of my 1st Xair vids->

Xaircraft X650 quad STEADY enough for AP photography/Video etc.. VID #2 w/2min hands off hovering (3 min 47 sec)
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:26 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,041 Posts
I agree and think that DJI is the best open box and fly FC out there - Nothing else comes close for the money -
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Thanks all. Just to make it clear I would be flying either with the DJI Naza so it's more about the frame comparison I suppose. If its easy enough to fit go pro camera and FPV to the F450 then that's great, but I'm worried it will be a little small and having the NAZA on a X650 frame will cope with a heavier payload
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:11 AM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
Although I hate the XAircraft flight controller, I actually really like the new X650v4 frame. lots of cool features. I too fly it with Naza.

see below :

DJI NAZA Multicopter X650 V4 gopro test flight 1 (7 min 23 sec)
jetbootz is offline Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totality View Post
Thanks all. Just to make it clear I would be flying either with the DJI Naza so it's more about the frame comparison I suppose. If its easy enough to fit go pro camera and FPV to the F450 then that's great, but I'm worried it will be a little small and having the NAZA on a X650 frame will cope with a heavier payload
Naza is doesn't care about weight, I have a DJI F550 Hexa on order and plan to strap on two batteries and a camera gimbal/landing gear.

There are pictures of a brilliant idea in the forums where people used strips of CF to extend the landing gear to accommodate the gopro underneath. Very cheap solution.
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
There are pictures of a brilliant idea in the forums where people used strips of CF to extend the landing gear to accommodate the gopro underneath. Very cheap solution.
Found the thread for ya!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594221
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
DJI wins HANDS DOWN. I have flown both and was a tester for the X650 and was one of the 1st to get 1 in the U.S. They were great 1.5 years ago but FC's have come along way since then and Xair is still the same.
if one would mount a Xaircraft with Naza plus GPs... would that be a better and smoother flight ?
zenclimber is offline Find More Posts by zenclimber
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hatfield Heath
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
DJI No question top piece of Kit... Just brought F550 and love it only finishing of building yesterday with Wookong-M Running flight test when weather permits..

Vin
VINF550 is offline Find More Posts by VINF550
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony View Post
Hi Tony,

You write X650 is "older" technology. Do you refer to the circuits or also the motors or the frame?

If i would buy an empty X650 frame and put a DJI Naza on it.. don't know if that would work but would that be comparable to F450 or alike? Or a X650 frame with their motors but without circuits.. ?

Thanks!
zenclimber is offline Find More Posts by zenclimber
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:31 AM
What goes up...
United States, NJ, Cherry Hill
Joined Feb 2012
1,008 Posts
I just moved my Naza over to an X650 frame and I love it. I have HK F30A Esc's flashed with SimonK and am currently using the DJI Motors because my Keda motors were apparently drawing too much power and I had unstable flight characteristics. I also have the naza gps on this rig and will be adding the jakub gimbal for my go pro. The frame is very versatile and the folding arms are a great feature. Its also very clean being able to mount my esc's inside the plates(they are too large to go in the arm slots). Also being aqble to easily adjust the CG with the battery tray helps out when no gimbal is on. I just move the tray to the underside in the middle and problem solved. I was running a Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah battery yesterday and it handled great although the small dji motors are getting warm. I had the F450 frame and also had the x468 gimbal/lg and I choose this as a superior setup, granted the frame also costs 7.5X more. As an alternative RCTimer.com has a very simialar frame that I may order for my APM setup. I havent been able to find anyone who has had it to tell me the quality.
Pics of the setup with the Keda motors

acuralegendz is offline Find More Posts by acuralegendz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:59 AM
United States
Joined Dec 2010
221 Posts
In general, I've found the X650v4/v8 to be a far more versatile airframe than the DJI F450 or F550 (I have both). It's got plenty of space to mount your electronics plus a cover for them and it's got mounting rails that are vibration isolated to mount any number of camera mounts/gimbals. It's also a much cleaner look with most of the wires hidden away inside of the frame members. And, although I've never broker any of them, the X650 seems to be MUCH stronger but still light weight. I never liked the cheap plastic arms (which vibrate and have a relatively low resonant frequency) of the DJI or the very thin main plates that hold it all together. I'm not saying the DJI frames are bad just that the X650 has a lot more to offer. But, then again it should, it cost a bit more (unless you buy one of the nice clones from various sources).

I probably would stay away from the XAircraft electronics though. I hear the latest versions with their new GPS are fairly decent but I personally have had a crash that was due to their electronics and I use a Hoverfly in one of my X650's and a Ardupilot in the other. I'm currently building a Naza based ship as well.

The DJI frames are fun little sport copter frames (but the vibration of the plastic can be a problem with some FC's) but they are not well suited to AP and are a tad small for my tastes for FPV.

Good luck!

Wingspinner
wingspinner is offline Find More Posts by wingspinner