Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:14 AM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Question
Align T-REX 450 PRO 3GX Super Combo KX015080

How is this deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Al...item4ab4150366

Considering that I won't be doing any serious 3D with this bird anytime soon, is this a decent starting setup component-wise?
octanejunkie is offline Find More Posts by octanejunkie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
25 Posts
I ordered from Kirk at http://www.performanceplusrc.com, and after registering it was less than that price...
cwall64 is offline Find More Posts by cwall64
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:17 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
How is this deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Al...item4ab4150366

Considering that I won't be doing any serious 3D with this bird anytime soon, is this a decent starting setup component-wise?
I was hoping maybe someone would start a thread like this or maybe there already was one I missed.

I bought my kit from WOWhobbies.
http://www.wowhobbies.com/agnkx01508...x450prov2.aspx

I estimate the kit building is about 2/3 complete.

Thanks for getting this thread started!
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Look what Mr. UPS brought me today...

Right behind you CJ
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
So what are you going to use for receivers, CJ, RX + sat or 2x sat?

I have a AR8000 +sat that came with my DX7s

Starting a new thread over this topic in Large Helis...
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:09 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
In case you might have been wondering about the Align 3GX governor, somewhat of an explanation can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1592
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Build progress

Started my build yesterday following the manual. Interesting that all of the assemblies, like the rotor head and tail, are pre-assembled = the build just got easier

There are a few things I am unsure of and would appreciate clarification on:
1) should I disassemble and reassemble all the preassembled assemblies ?
2) where does the bushing and bearing go inside the torque tube, middle?
3) the main gear rubs the frame if I pull up on the main shaft, should there be spacers between the lower bearing and the main gear?

That's as far as I have gotten and am not in a rush

I'd appreciate any advice based on experience building these birds - thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:05 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Started my build yesterday following the manual. Interesting that all of the assemblies, like the rotor head and tail, are pre-assembled = the build just got easier

There are a few things I am unsure of and would appreciate clarification on:
1) should I disassemble and reassemble all the preassembled assemblies ?
2) where does the bushing and bearing go inside the torque tube, middle?
3) the main gear rubs the frame if I pull up on the main shaft, should there be spacers between the lower bearing and the main gear?

That's as far as I have gotten and am not in a rush

I'd appreciate any advice based on experience building these birds - thanks!
Congratulations on your choice of this helicopter. I predict you are going to love it!

1) YES - and use blue loctite on metal to metal screws.
2) Sort of. The manual is a bit fogy on this but you want to GLUE the bearing about an inch or so toward the head end of the tail boom off center as shown by the manual. If you do not glue it and it comes loose or is left loose, it will eat your drive shaft in half!
3) I would have to look it up but as I recall, yes, there are two spacers of different thickness. Mine didn't require any spacers.

Also, in case you haven't figured this out yet, all the beeping when you power up is the ESC trying to tell you its programming. Refer to the manual and ESC settings. Each beep is one of the settings and it will do one, two, or three beeps per the five settings. Thus, five sets of beeps upon power up. I hope this isn't clear as mud.

Good luck on your build and happy flying!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Thanks CJ

I am a ways from powering this thing up but thanks for the warning on the beeps.

I did go ahead and disassembled the assembled assemblies (wow) and loctite-ed the metal to metal bits - I guess I should do the same for the tail assembly… but there are so many metal to plastic connections on the tail, should all those be CA?

I inserted the bearing into the rubber bushing and installed it mid-shaft, the manual was not clear

I did received 2 spacers of the same thickness. The manual shows these installed above the top main shaft bearing "if needed" - but I think I may have installed the main shaft upside down

Regarding the main shaft orientation. There is the word ALIGN on the shaft, the manual shows this txt on the bottom half of the shaft - this is the only reference given for shaft orientation - how is the main shaft installed; hollow end up or down (ALIGN txt above or below the bearings)?

Regarding servo install, the manual shows them installed w wiring exiting the top of the servos (manual actually does not show ANY wiring at all) is this correct?

That is all for now, I will include pics in my next post to show progress and ask more specific questions.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:39 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Thanks CJ

I am a ways from powering this thing up but thanks for the warning on the beeps.

I did go ahead and disassembled the assembled assemblies (wow) and loctite-ed the metal to metal bits - I guess I should do the same for the tail assembly… but there are so many metal to plastic connections on the tail, should all those be CA?

I inserted the bearing into the rubber bushing and installed it mid-shaft, the manual was not clear

I did received 2 spacers of the same thickness. The manual shows these installed above the top main shaft bearing "if needed" - but I think I may have installed the main shaft upside down

Regarding the main shaft orientation. There is the word ALIGN on the shaft, the manual shows this txt on the bottom half of the shaft - this is the only reference given for shaft orientation - how is the main shaft installed; hollow end up or down (ALIGN txt above or below the bearings)?

Regarding servo install, the manual shows them installed w wiring exiting the top of the servos (manual actually does not show ANY wiring at all) is this correct?

That is all for now, I will include pics in my next post to show progress and ask more specific questions.
Somewhere I read you aren't supposed to use thread lock on metal to plastic but I can't find a statement like that in this manual. I did find one reference though that says to use CA when fastening a linkage ball to a plastic part (page 10, bottom left corner).

I hope you glued the torque tube bearing ("Tip to fix torque tube," page 11, box about mid page). Also, oil likes to eat rubber (good reason to keep it off your radiator hoses and other rubber parts when you change your car oil and refill). This would be a great application for silicone grease or liquid though both will dry out eventually and leave a thick residue, nirvana seems unattainable.

I installed my main shaft same as the picture bottom of page 6 under that little ring in the middle, to the right of the words, "Main shaft" in the picture.

I think the only way you can install the servos is with the wiring at the top - but don't quote me on that.

I installed my 3GX controller on the antirotation platform with one piece of tape and the Walkera RX-2801PRO receiver on the bottom under the frame. The wires barely make it from top to bottom. I didn't want to have to turn the heli upside down to make adjustments or changes in settings. Also, radio waves will not go THROUGH carbon fiber. My receiver has two antennas, one out to one side and one to the front. With the receiver under the helicopter, the transmitter will mostly have a clear "view" of the receiver once the heli is airborne. If you are using a 2801 receiver you will want to program a fixed ID into the transmitter. It is fun to get the Tx and Rx to link up for the first time.

Another something you might want to keep in mind is that carbon fiber conducts electricity just like copper wire. Well, maybe not that good. If vibration and/or pressure causes a group of wires crossing carbon fiber to eat into the CF, you will experience difficulties to say the least. This is likely why they suggest you sand sharp corners down where wires will cross (page 8).

Also, had to grind a flat spot on the main motor shaft to prevent pinion from rotating on the shaft and pinion set screw more secure fit. Put the motor in a plastic bag with shaft only exposed if you decide to do this so metal filings won't get captured by motor magnets and cause trouble.

I don't like the stock landing skids so I bought the little bit beefier ones from WOW Hobbies.
http://www.wowhobbies.com/agnkx85017...sport-1-2.aspx

Also landing skid nuts.
http://www.wowhobbies.com/agnhz022al...rt-rex450.aspx

I think I have addressed all the issues and then some. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. I think it is too cool we have a thread devoted to this specific helicopter.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChopperJack; Mar 15, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
I put the training gear on my heli yesterday so I can get it adjusted and avert disaster. So far, it has worked. I only have one battery pack so this is going to be a long drawn out process.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 16, 2012, 03:05 AM
Joined Dec 2011
135 Posts
Build progress

With help from the ChopperJack, google searches, a re-read or two of the manual I have essentially completed the mechanical build and have begun wire routing.

I will be using an AR8000 (and sat) receiver mounted on the anti-rotation pad, sat mounted to bottom of frame or starboard side of chassis.

While I need to figure out how to connect the RX to the 3GX my plan is to snake skin sleeve the exposed wiring and have temped in the servo and ESC wiring as well as motor to ESC.

Here are pics to date

Motor to ESC wiring (yes the skids are mounted backwards)

Rotor head

Front servo wire routing; cut a 3/4 section of 3/8 fuel line and slit to pass servo wires into as an insulator against the side panel
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:41 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
Creeping Servos

Anyone and everyone with Align Trex 450 3GX PRO experience and/or who might know the solution to this problem. I have looked everywhere I know to look and tried everything that seemed it might fix this problem but nothing works and I can't figure this out.

When I move the AILE or ELEV stick, the servos respond immediately and quickly but do not immediately return to the neutral or home position. They slowly creep back. This causes flight problems. I've noticed if I move the stick in the opposite direction quickly then let it go, the servos will snap back into neutral. This isn't a very good explanation - sorry. Thanks in advance for your help!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:56 AM
Moving Parts
Joined May 2011
1,422 Posts
I must have the only one like this in captivity. That would make it rare. Perhaps I should take it to the Gold and Silver Pawn Shop and see if Rick will make me an offer - OOH
RCG Plus Member