SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Discussion
Replacing battery in S026G with external removable cell?

Hello-

I've attempted to replace the nearly unchargeable battery in my S026g but have had a little issue. I'm trying to add a removable battery so I can use the five batteries I have from my Blade MCX tandem that is currently broken. They're 3.7 270mAh 12C's and I was planning on mounting a velcro strip to the bottom so I can adjust the fore/aft location to balance it and make it faster. The problem I'm having is that after I soldered the clip on and plugged in the battery, the little guy goes full throttle when I turn him on. There is a small pcb on the original battery which I thought might be the problem so I soldered that into the mix too. Same issue. Although the motors spin a little slower now. So in short, I have no throttle control. Any ideas? I'm a noob when it comes hacking helis. I've attached pics with close ups of the little pcb that was on the original battery. Yes I know my soldering is pretty horrible. Any help or advice would be most appreciated-
Frank Murl is offline Find More Posts by Frank Murl
Last edited by Frank Murl; Feb 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:06 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Murl View Post
Hello-

I've attempted to replace the nearly unchargeable battery in my S026g but have had a little issue. I'm trying to add a removable battery so I can use the five batteries I have from my Blade MCX tandem that is currently broken. They're 3.7 270mAh 12C's and I was planning on mounting a velcro strip to the bottom so I can adjust the fore/aft location to balance it and make it faster. The problem I'm having is that after I soldered the clip on and plugged in the battery, the little guy goes full throttle when I turn him on. There is a small pcb on the original battery which I thought might be the problem so I soldered that into the mix too. Same issue. Although the motors spin a little slower now. So in short, I have no throttle control. Any ideas? I'm a noob when it comes hacking helis. I've attached pics with close ups of the little pcb that was on the original battery. Yes I know my soldering is pretty horrible. Any help or advice would be most appreciated-
Frank, I couldn't tell you why your S026G goes full throttle when you turn it on. But before you go further, you should double check and make sure that you have the correct polarity.

The little PCB in the picture is an over-charge protection circuit from the original battery. The USB cable has no 'smart' to stop the charging process, except for this little PCB cutting it off at full charge. It doesn't hurt to have this in the mix, if you ever wants to charge your Blade batt through the helicopter (I wouldn't). And if you always charge your Blade batt with another charger, then there is no point of having that PCB in the mix.

Double check the polarity and also see if you could find a short somewhere. When you turn on the S026G, are both front and rear rotors on full throttle, and air is directed in the right direction (down)? If it's going in the wrong direction, there is definitely an issue with the polarity. Disconnect quickly, or you could smoke the PCB.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:19 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
I can confirm what Heli Pad is saying.

I have just checked my Tandem battery and in your first picture showing your Tandem battery the polarity is the wrong way round.

You show the black on the right (as in the picture) this is actually the positive connection on the battery.

cheers John
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Works great! Thank you very much. I feel like an idiot. I just matched the wire colors.
Frank Murl is offline Find More Posts by Frank Murl
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:49 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Murl View Post
Works great! Thank you very much. I feel like an idiot. I just matched the wire colors.
Don't feel like an idiot, we have all made silly mistakes at one time or another

I would recommend you get yourself a cheap multimeter for testing the polarity, it could save you blowing up the board on a heli

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft