SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,446 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Repairing my Whirlpool Calypso Dryer (Part 2)!

Hello good people!

For those wondering, yes, I did attempt to fix my 10 year old Whirlpool Calypso Dryer by lubing the main bearings with CRC 2-26 spray and it did work for perhaps two weeks. However, the Electric Motor Bearings are unserviceable, meaning that you really can not replace them as the assembly is pressed on and it would take a machine shop of tools to do this even if you wanted to keep the old motor.

Here is the Link to PART 1 of my attempts of fixing my Electric Dryer:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594482

================================================== ==========

Alright, here is my PART 2 of going all the way with replacing my Dryer's Electric Motor and Fan Wheel.

Locally, at a place known as SHORELINE Distributors, Inc., in Orlando, Florida I got a very good deal for both a new Electric Motor and Fan Wheel for a Cool $176.79 including local Tax.

On-line the Motor itself costs $157.90 + Shipping!!!
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...rHelpVideoTabs

Blower Wheel costs $45.35 + Shipping!!
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta.../697772/687613

A significant saving as I did not have to pay Shipping!

TIPS & TRICKS:

1. Disconnect the Electrical 220V Plug from Wall Outlet!!! (Please stay Safe!!!)

2. Once you disassemble the Dryer and get into the Blower Fan Wheel, I noticed that the STOCK Blower Wheel did not have a metal threaded insert and the Wheel was just screwed in by plastic threads to the metal threaded Motor output shaft. To remove it using the many instructional Videos for similar Dryers is IMPOSSIBLE as the Plastic threads pretty much melted on the Electric Motor output shaft. I had to drill holes all around the shaft and break out the Blower Wheel out from the housing.

3. Next, I had to saw the remaining Plastic threaded shank that was still on the Electric Motor output shaft. I used a hand held hack saw blade and went to town and hacked away piece by piece. Using a Slotted Screwdriver and small hammer, I tapped away at the pieces near the motor assembly. This is the only method to remove the motor as the Blower Housing has a very small hole for the Electric Motor output shaft to go through.

4. With any Electric device and before you disconnect connectors and wires, I usually practice a rule to take lots of pictures at different angles that I can to have a record of how all connections go back for the new Electric Motor drive connections. Noting that the Ground Wire is very important and for my specific Dryer it screws at the bottom frontal Cover containing the Door using a machine screw down at the lower edge of where the lower metal cover is situated and thereby, at almost the end of the assembly of the machine.

5. Another good idea is to pay close attention to any pressure clips, especially the clip(s) that holds the Blower Wheel Cover and other clips to make sure you have an easy and carefree manner in performing the final assembly of your Dryer. Take Pictures before you remove them during dis-assembly.

Okay, pictures!!!

NEW PARTS!

Connections & Assembly!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 20, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:49 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
I had the heating element go out on mine.(40 bucks or so) Its the same as yours just with Kenmore's name on it. I think at 200 in parts I would have started looking for a new one.
I'm kind of glad it broke , gave a chance to tear it down and get all the lint and dog hair out of it..
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:57 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrogg View Post
I had the heating element go out on mine.(40 bucks or so) Its the same as yours just with Kenmore's name on it. I think at 200 in parts I would have started looking for a new one.
I'm kind of glad it broke , gave a chance to tear it down and get all the lint and dog hair out of it..
Oh my goodness, the interior of mine when I took it apart two weeks ago was much nicer looking than yours!!! What is all that Black stuff all over the motor??

Anyway, I did actually go to several Retail Outlets such as Lowe's Home Improvement and good ol SEARS.

Supposedly, SEARS had a large sale for President's Day and well, I just did not see any good Dryer that matched with the features of my 10-year old Whirlpool Calypso Dryer (I did purchase this Dryer and matching Top Loader Washer at SEARS).

The least expensive new Whirlpool Dryer @ SEARS would have been $498.00 plus local Tax and another $278 for a 5-Year SEARS repair / replace agreement!! Lowe's Home Improvement had a very nice one for $799.00 plus 10% discount coupon from the US Post Office (Moving care package) but, it was just too much.

So........I opted to FIX my Dryer for less than $200 US and glad I did. Did not use any more $$$ nor did I use any Credit Card for those additional Discounts that push on you at these places!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:11 PM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
I'm with ya , I went looking at front loaders when mine quit and was surprised at what they cost now. I went home and found the part locally and had it back doing its job in under an hour.
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:27 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrogg View Post
I'm with ya , I went looking at front loaders when mine quit and was surprised at what they cost now. I went home and found the part locally and had it back doing its job in under an hour.
See, now you know what you got and how to work on it!

The sales person at SEARS was annoying. He did not even pay attention to the SEARS advertisement I brought with me as the example above was an actual Whirlpool Electric Dryer that normally retails for $823 and it was discounted 40% so, the Sales price would have been $493.80 but, the features did not compare nor the 5-year repair / replace agreement at a whopper at $278! This sales person insisted of me to consider a CLEARANCE SALE machine and it was a Whirlpool with STEAM. for a rock bottom price of $700 and it was a side loader. Now, why would I need a STEAM Electric Dryer??? This person continued to say that he would work with me and reduce the 5-Year Repair / Replace Agreement and knock off some more on the price and as soon as he left to see his Manager, I Bee Lined it to the door!!

I found the Sales Person at Lowe's Home Improvement much more Professional and Knowledgeable in my opinion. Last August 2011, I did buy a new high-quality refrigerator for a cool $500 (discounted from $1,398), a lovely Frigidaire 26 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side, Gallery Series, Energy Star monster! The extended warranty for 5-years was only $109!! It was a left over from 2010 and still brand new in the box!

Yes, appliances are just getting out of sight with regard to Price such that it is getting harder to just throw away your old one.

We need not to get lazy ... and fix our old ones!
RCG Plus Member