SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2012
194 Posts
Discussion
Ardupilot mega V2.0 any good for multis?

I was originally planning to find a used OP CC but besides being very hard to source, I'd like something to tinker/experiment with and I need to know C++ anyway for some of my engineering classes.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the few new purple APMs that have been recently released in controlling a quad or hexa.
DaMaDo is offline Find More Posts by DaMaDo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
So what prevents you from tinkering with op code in C on a modern processor instead of wasting time with purple 8bit junk?
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Oct 2011
24 Posts
If your not dumb and willing to work a bit, its the single most capable UAV system for the price. The new barometer on the APM2.0 has a 10cm resolution for incredible alt-hold, new advancements in the code are bringing on automated PID tuning, support for i2c esc's, inertial navigation, and a host of other things. Many people dont like it however because its rather difficult to setup for someone without a computer backround. I love mine.

Timecop, whats with the atmel hate? Its pretty capable for the simple stuff we're trying to do, given any of the 32bit chips would perform better they also require a refactoring of all the current code. the APM project plans to move in line with arduino to a 32 bit platform soon anyway.
AP7d is offline Find More Posts by AP7d
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Arduino "32bit" platform (assuming you refer to 'due') is already obsolete and its not even out yet.
Sam3u has been around for years and every chip vendor besides Atmel has much more capable hardware by now. Funny you mention 32 bit switch soon, so everyone who paid 200 bones for this obsolete 8 bit stuff will need to rebuy it in a few months?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2012
194 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I guess I just haven't seen these talked about too much and AP7d I guess explains why. I don't mind taking the trouble to set it up...that's actually the best part to me.

I'm probably going to be using Arduino for several things in the future so might as well learn more about it and its coding while doing something fun like this...especially since arduino has such broad support for learning.

timecop, I understand your argument about chip advancement, but what would the newer chips allow me to do realistically that APM 2 can't? I sometimes get into tech specs too much and I have to pull myself out of it to properly consider real world results/effects.
DaMaDo is offline Find More Posts by DaMaDo
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:47 AM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
timecop: they still support APM1 with 1280 chip, so it's unlikely they will just stop supporting APM1/APM2 altogether when ARM version comes out. More likely there will be a common codebase with HAL layer around.
You are also always free to upload a different software to it - something unimaginable on CC, or UAVP-NG...
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:55 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
unimaginable? ookay.
i've been running 'different software' on CC for a while, i don't really understand what you're saying here. if you mean "people with arduino ide who can barely edit config.h, press compile, upload, pray that it works" can't "uploada a different software" then yes, you're probably right.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:36 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,613 Posts
Anyone have flight reports for the APM2? I just got one on an airplane and it’s great and was thinking of getting another for my Quad.

BTW I think that the mission planning software in incredable – at least for sirplanes.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:02 AM
Deutschland
Joined Jul 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
So what prevents you from tinkering with op code in C on a modern processor instead of wasting time with purple 8bit junk?
You are right. But how to tinker on a piece of hardware that is hardly available and where you already know that it will be replaced by "op revolution" sometime in the future.
And after the hard way that the initial op has gone... nobody knows when you will be able to tinker with "op revolution".
So... start playing with the old and available stuff right now
ncaadodge is offline Find More Posts by ncaadodge
Old May 08, 2012, 09:26 PM
Hochiminh City
Joined Mar 2004
552 Posts
Anyonce try multiwii code for APM 2.0?
caotri is offline Find More Posts by caotri
Old May 08, 2012, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
When you can get capable multiwii hardware from china for < $30 why would you run multiwii on something that costs $199?

Have DIYClones release the DMP/Sensor fusion code that they used to "advertise" their platform? Last I checked all they had was plain old raw gyro readings.
Old May 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
Hochiminh City
Joined Mar 2004
552 Posts
How can you get Mega multiwii with all sensor, GPS under $30 ?
caotri is offline Find More Posts by caotri