HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Discussion
Velie Monocoupe-- 2X size version of the Flyine kit by Pat Daily-- more flying photos

These are some pics of the bones to my 44 inch span version of the Colonel Hurst Bower's Flyline Models Velie Monocoupe and originally designed by Herb Klukey --thanks to Dave Plumpe for providing a short kit of the 44 inch version as a starting point.

This is the third Velie Monocoupe for me--I did the original in '74 for CO2, then a 30 inch version for electric rc in 2000 (still have it) and now the 44 inch version. I modified the wing, fuselage and tail details quite a bit to try to replicate the full sized Monocoupe. I used scale number of ribs and false ribs, scale fuselage structure and tail feathers.

Right now the all up weight of the air frame (no electronics) is 250 grams or 8.8 ounces with 2.2 square feet of wing area. Still have the wing struts to do--and then there is the dummy radial engine too!

I am dickering with myself about covering, but I am leaning hard towards silk and dope. This will be a 4 channel plane with ailerons, rudder, elevator and motor controls. I am shooting for a flying weight of about 16-17 ounces. Will post more photos when I cover and paint her.
Pat Daily is online now Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Last edited by Pat Daily; Mar 18, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:44 PM
Fresno CA, good old USA
Joined Jan 2007
340 Posts
hey Pat, I still have mine at 52 inches and it flys great. Silk and dope is the only way to go! Lots of pics when she is done please. Marion
sweptside is offline Find More Posts by sweptside
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Marion

You are the inspiration for me to get this Monocoupe underway--I started it 2 years ago but got lazy and after reviewing your beautiful Monocoupe photos last week, I got the urge to get off my fanny and start work again. my biggest dilemma right now is the color scheme. I am leaning toward red and cream, but that could still change. Thanks for getting me started again.

What is the power system--motor and battery that you used. I am planning to use an AXI 2208/34 with a 2 or 3 cell 1200 or 1500 pack.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:48 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,941 Posts
I like black and Red/Orange but that might be repetitious of a General Aristocrat.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,519 Posts
Pat - I love the Velie Monocoupe. Have 2 plans!
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Which plans do you have?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,519 Posts
I'll have to look up the details, but one from Air Age when they were running a 50% off sale, a small c02 powered model from Flying Scale Models (or similar) mag from about a year ago, and I think I have a free Free-Flight plan.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
Believe it or not I have an Astroflite kit of that plane. Never knew a kit exister.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:31 AM
AMA 8711, FCC K4WZA
Salem, SC
Joined Mar 2003
518 Posts
Lovely, Pat! Structure mods look good - I'll draw from that when I do mine.

About covering, silk&dope is sure nice but I worry about balancing that short nose, so I'd be tempted to go with Litespan for the rear fuse & tail. Hard to tell from the photos, but did you lengthen the nose a tad?

Any story behind those nice wheels? I've done some with PVC rims, turned alum hubs & monofilament spokes, but always looking for ideas.

-Dave
DPlumpe is offline Find More Posts by DPlumpe
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Dave

If anything, I may have a nose heavy problem. With all the electronics in place including battery the plane is nose heavy. Silk and dope is still probably lighter than most coverings. I like airspan, but really wanted the fabric look and this plane. I did do a lot of fuselage and wing mods compared to the Klukey design--I guess you could say I got carried away! The nose length is per plans--remember the wing overhangs the front of the fuse quite a bit.

The wheels were available from Hobby Lobby (from Czech repulic) several years ago--I replaced the hard o-ring tires with foam tires and the two wheels weigh only 16 grams. I stocked up on the wheels then. Can't seem to find them anymore. I also think the wheels (3 inch) from the WWI series (Electrifly?)of planes from Tower will work too--perfect size and you can order them for about $7 or so.

Started covering with silk yesterday--that stuff is soooo nice!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:27 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,204 Posts
I covered exactly one (count it, 1) airplane with silk, a half-century ago. It was easy, and the results were durable. Good days!

But the stink of dope...

Jim R...
...whose own aroma leaves something to be desired...
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:50 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,327 Posts
Very nice, Pat! Silk please!

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Fuzz

I started silking the Monocoupe yesterday!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2006
97 Posts
Pat,

If you can, please post photos of the silk as you go.

Thanks,

Jim
CV440pilot is offline Find More Posts by CV440pilot
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,372 Posts
Will try to take photos of the wing as I silk it. I am too far along on the other parts.

But to update, I am using Sig heavy silk (13gm per square yard) and I have weighed all the parts so far (fuselage, ailerons, tail feathers) as I have gone from bare balsa to preparing the balsa framework for silk by painting the perimeter with thin (half and half) Sig nitrate and then to covering with silk. I have to wait for a Sig order of more silk to do the wing--I ran out. I don't like the Sig lite silk (9 grams per square yard) because the weave is too open and will take too much dope to fill.

I will cover all the parts using thinned nitrate and then seal the silk with Sig Butyrate. I have planty of Sig Lite Coat Butyrate, but it doesn't shrink as well, so I will paint on two coast of thinned standard butyrate to seal it and then a few coats of Lite Cote on top. Then spray colored Sig dope.

I will update more later.