Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaft View Post
hondaflyer,

I can appreciate that.

If there is anything I could ever do to help you, just let me know. Otherwise I think trout nailed it. Iíll never be allowed to post here without Red attacking me or my club while his loyal followers pounce on every word I post.

In another thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=135 concurrently going on, Red has jumped in spreading his brand of aspersions and misinformation about my club trying to bait me into yet another argument situation... all the while the OP of that thread and event director fails to straighten out the misinformation Red broadcasts. I would point out the misinformation but this is just an endless problem I have here in this forum and nothing is being done about it...another exercise in futility is something I donít need...

Over the many years Red has done everything he can to defame me and my club. He has been quite successful with that agenda it seems... RCG apparently has no intentions of rectifying the issue...
Now that you got that off your chest lets stay with the point of why you would like to promote your club and how your doing it?
I dont see anyone talking about radio stations doing adds before a event. rock stations for the jet guys or the 3Ds or the older stations playing 50s or 60s for the slow flight guys or fun fly walk ins ect..
Just looking around at what can be helpful to RCs numbers.
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:31 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
ctrout
A few years ago while part of an AMA show team we (the team) participated in a few fund raisers for the Make A Wish Foundation. It has been an annual event for ten years or so.
The group that sponsored the event had posters printed and placed them in as many businesses as possible. We are also quite fortunate to have a very good TV station in the area that will publisize an event with air time during their morning news programing. One year we actually flew a helicopter in the stations back yard.
The event consisted of invited pilots who flew a variety of aircraft--buddy box flying for a small contribution. The women (wives of club members) had a bake sale and a host of raffles for items contributed by local merchants. And we sold hot dogs and hamburgers--cold drinks and coffee and donuts.
The event ran from 10:am to 5m.
I had to leave the program several years ago due to health problems. Since then the group has combined their efforts with a local car club and the event has grown.
The proceeds from this event has totalled some $35,000+ for Make A Wish.
Not too bad for abunch of guys that fly model airplanes.

BM
After thinking about this, are the clubs with high numers the only clubs that attempt events like this. backup pilots with a backup plan just in case?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:23 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
ctrout
The club that put this event together has about 50 members--give or take. But as you are well aware not every member participated
The performers were from a number of local clubs . They were invited because of their skills. Several pilots that also flew full scale did a fly by and the Air National Guard flew in a couple of attack helicopters for display.
It wasn't an easy task putting it together. It stared small and grew from year to year. I left about that time in the show's progress so I'm not at all sure what the story is today except that it is still going on.

If I were to offer any advice it would be dont try for world class your first attempt. Start small and let it grow.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:35 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Can't argue, last year just out to play I grab 6 new engines, only 2 would run.
I'm one of them that have "that" luck lol. small works.
Your last post answered most everything
Ty
Old May 01, 2012, 04:34 AM
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2009
240 Posts
Our club used to have quite a few events, some quite large.
Then, we started having problems with some new neighbors that just moved in to the outskirts of our field.
We had huge issues with the neighbors going to the zoning board for every issue they could think of. Too much traffic, road side signage (to promote our events) that was not portable, selling food without health permits, vendors not collecting sales taxes, etc.
We have scaled back tremendously and are now back in the good graces of the zoning board, but we had to make changes.
Now our "clubhouse" is not called a clubhouse, it is a "farm office". We do not sell food, we make it and the patrons donate monies to recover the costs, etc., etc. Sometimes getting bigger is not better.
AB Bob is offline Find More Posts by AB Bob
Old May 01, 2012, 02:18 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Some fields.. if your having issue its best to do what you can to keep the peace. If you have a field that can be prototed for shows that can bring your neighbrs in that like what they see can change a point of view very quick.
but its the steps needed that is still a pain.
War-games Rules of Engagement.avi (4 min 29 sec)
is part of a promo for a field setting up a show that the neighbors and kids may like "If they have them" and a number of other ideas.
But any field will have its up and downs. This thread can help share ideas that can work for some of them.
CBRC< "one of the fields I did fly" has had the very same thing from a new neighbor. Fortunaly the son of the head of zoning had his birthday at my house that month and we had time to talk.
Good luck with your field.do what you need to do to keep them happy.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:46 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
A club that I visited while I was part of an AMA show team has experienced neighbor problems. The fact that this club actually owns the land and are grandfathered as to how the land will be used has not stopped the "new"neighbors from trying to dislodge them from their field.

Another group had an adjoining property purchased by an individual who wanted to raise horses. He came to the groups field and told them they could no longer fly there because it disturbed the horses. Fortunatly the owner of the field the club used would not allow the club to be put off.

There are as many reasons why those who do not participate in the hobby would like to see us go away as there are

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old May 05, 2012, 05:15 PM
Re-kitting Expert
USA, CA, California City
Joined Jul 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP View Post
Ctrout I am surprised there has been no discussion on this topic. Guess just not enough drama in it, so I will give ideas.

1) don't hide club fields so far out you need to know the secret handshake and a Google map to find them.

2) be friendly to visitors. Plenty of threads on non- inviting first visits.

3) have a more open policy on allowing non-club AMA or even non-AMA to fly at the site to get a feel for the club and hobby. This one would take a massive change to the AMA insurance policy but I one time buddy box idea is a relic of the past.
1) This is often the only place a club CAN put a field due to noise issues, land availability/price and many other concerns.

2) Good advice. I was interested in joining a model railroad club and decided to pay them a visit at a show they were attending. The reception I got put paid to any interest I had in that club. First impressions are most important, and a bad one is hard to overcome.

3) This is a non-option for many clubs. For example, the two flying fields where I live are on city land. The city requires AMA membership to fly at either one. You dont have to be a club member but AMA is mandatory. I know many, if not most of the clubs in our area are in the same situation as are a great many elsewhere.

For small clubs with strictly limited funds (like the two I belong to) options for spreading the word are limited. We really aren't in a position to put on big fun flys or to do many other things that typically attract new members. In a way this is a good thing since most of us are just out to have fun. The stress and mess involved with putting together an event can really sap that fun factor in a hurry.
Tarasdad is offline Find More Posts by Tarasdad
Old May 06, 2012, 10:20 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,153 Posts
My club flies on private property (sod farm) and we have had problems over the decades with "independent" flyers showing up and flying off "our" field, damaging sod by driving on it or from fuel spills. Since we have a good relationship with the farm, we aren't blamed for these incursions but we do not advertise our whereabouts, either. We are only allowed to fly sailplanes and electric powered models on the sod, no exceptions.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:59 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, OK, Henryetta
Joined Nov 2005
25,315 Posts
What we used to do, and it worked quite well, was to put out flyers in all the local businesses and advertise free flying lessons. There are a lot of people willing to give it a try and are interested in model aviation.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer