Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Depending on what one likes to fly- the basics really do make a difference
If I flew lots of gliders -I would want the trim levers and a sailplane program
The real dealbreaker -as I see it- is the Bind -N Fly and the Model Match- Without those features - I simply don't want a system.
Like Andy said, bind and fly, sailplane programs and even model match are irrelevant to the OP's question. He's using it for arial photography on a multi copter.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:05 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,374 Posts
Actually, that's a good point seefest.

Cypro should be looking for radios that are compatible with the muticopter platform he's using. Some of them are very easy to use with Spektrum since they attach our remote receivers directly to their main control board. Some, in fact, cannot work with other brands. In this case, he should be checking that side of things at least as closely as he is what transmitter to purchase.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Jul 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Since we're talking about a multi-copter application, your sailplane comment has no place. I wonder why you would think there would be a connection.

I won't put words into their mouths as to why they selected the DX8, but it seems that these men apparently chose and continue to use the DX8 because it meets their professional multi-copter needs.

We all know that it is quite easy to program, no touch recalibrations required

Andy
None needed on my A9, either. Nor have I had to send it away multiple times for warranty work.
EdmundGerber is offline Find More Posts by EdmundGerber
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:55 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Many thanks everyone who try to enlighten to me with their knowledge.

Another thing is about my control card, I forgot to mention it. I selected ArduPilot Mega v.2 (Purple board) for my Y6...
Cypro is offline Find More Posts by Cypro
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Since we're talking about a multi-copter application, your sailplane comment has no place. I wonder why you would think there would be a connection.

I won't put words into their mouths as to why they selected the DX8, but it seems that these men apparently chose and continue to use the DX8 because it meets their professional multi-copter needs.

We all know that it is quite easy to program, no touch recalibrations required

Andy
The DX8 may not require a touch calibration because it has no touch screen but it is necessary to calibrate the joy sticks on the DX8. When I got my DX8 the sticks were way off center.
I used to own an A9 but sold it when I purchased the DX8. While the DX8 is a good radio, IMO the A9 is far more advanced and much easier to program. I still kick myself for getting rid of it and I am actually thinking of switching back.
dfrazier is online now Find More Posts by dfrazier
Last edited by dfrazier; Feb 21, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
That's not a review, that's a bashing:roll eyes: I had to go look at my radio to make sure he was talking about the same radio (DX8). I have had mine for over a year with no problems at all. The internet can be a great source of information or a greater source of misinformation. For what it's worth.

Harry
I agree with you that "unbiased review" was heavily biased and probably just a really pissed off consumer. All brands have them.

That being said, I thought I was one of the "lucky ones" with my DX6i which I had for two years before one of the trims broke. It had other minor issues, like a battery door that just barely stays on and some not so minor issues like VERY sloppy gimbals. From a guy who has had Futaba and Hitec for years this was a surprise for me as I've never had anything like that break from normal use. I'm not the kind of guy who buys a new transmitter every year. Its just unacceptable IMHO.

The DX8's got off to a really rocky start, lets see how they hold up in a few years. Hopefully they will and Spektrum has ironed out there QC problems.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
I'm not the kind of guy who buys a new transmitter every year. Its just unacceptable IMHO.

The DX8's got off to a really rocky start, lets see how they hold up in a few years. Hopefully they will and Spektrum has ironed out there QC problems.
I agree and hope you are correct with the QC. Having to buy a new TX every year (or couple of years) is just crazy, wanting to is another story Just when my DX8 feels like an old sweatshirt, along comes the 18 - I am a sucker.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,657 Posts
And sometimes you don't have a choice because your fleet grows so much and/or the complexity of the planes out does the radio.

Having started with LP5DSM to DX5e to DX6i and now DX8 my transmitter buying is not every year but close, I an now very interested in the DX18 having already met limitations with my DX8.

Certain things I wanted to do is not possible with the DX8 but confirmed to be on the DX18. Here's hoping the DX18 will be the last since the wife is most likely not going to like my spending on a radio again.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
To fly in the UK on public land you have to have insurance I think (I fly on private land so dunno for sure), so start here
http://www.bmfa.org/

Have a look here and see which club is closest to you and go have a chat?
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rc-....html#scotland
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Freechip, just fudge the numbers a bit and tell the misses that the new TX cost full DX8 price minus DX18 cost That's what I did going to DX8 from 6i and barely got a frown.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
And sometimes you don't have a choice because your fleet grows so much and/or the complexity of the planes out does the radio.

Having started with LP5DSM to DX5e to DX6i and now DX8 my transmitter buying is not every year but close, I an now very interested in the DX18 having already met limitations with my DX8.

Certain things I wanted to do is not possible with the DX8 but confirmed to be on the DX18. Here's hoping the DX18 will be the last since the wife is most likely not going to like my spending on a radio again.
I don't know what a multicopter uses in the way of channels but I have run out for the bells and whistles I would like to add. All my planes are maxed out and would very much like to add a camera, lighting and a tow on one.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Well, you do have a choice..........just have to limit the complexities of your planes:

I guess I should consider myself lucky. All of my planes don't need more than 7 channels(6 really), and I only use a few simple mixes(which in reality I could do without). I started RC when my first set was a hand -me -down Kraft Sport Series, that didn't have anything. I remember my first Futaba with servo reversing and how much work and thought it saved, not having to set up my models linkages with rotation in mind. I started as a simple flyer, and am still a simple flyer and am happy that way. I guess you could say I'm simple

But, I wouldn't give servo reversing and EPA up for the world.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
Freechip, just fudge the numbers a bit ...That's what I did going to DX8 from 6i and barely got a frown.
The problem with that is that I have done this so many times now she caught on to my trick. I got a new one that she hasn't caught on to yet but it's going to take a while before I acquire enough funds for the Dx18. Here's hoping she don't find out prior.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:37 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Well, you do have a choice..........just have to limit the complexities of your planes:

I guess I should consider myself lucky. All of my planes don't need more than 7 channels(6 really), and I only use a few simple mixes(which in reality I could do without). ...
Ya well it's not just about the number of channels for me but rather stuff I want to program and my current radio (DX8) doesn't do it.

Even after asking Andy about it, if I want what I am looking for then I need to pay up. Now the question I am asking myself is is it really worth it for me to upgrade.

Looking at what is already out or that we know about it (DX18) Hell Ya it's worth it.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
The problem with that is that I have done this so many times now she caught on to my trick. I got a new one that she hasn't caught on to yet but it's going to take a while before I acquire enough funds for the Dx18. Here's hoping she don't find out prior.
Piece of electrical tape over the 1 in 18 and it's still a DX8