SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
This post is just funny. I fly 99% DSM2 with a 9503 and about 80% Orange receivers in 48 ready to fly planes. It's not that expensive. A lot less than when I had them all on 72MHZ with my two Futaba 9C Supers.
But that setup will brown out easy and you'd have to use a timer. IMHO that is not safe for a big plane or God forbid a large helicopter. All Specktrum users should at least add a TM1000 for voltage telemetry and an Rx pack to models with enough momentum to hurt but I don't see many due to the cost. It seems like Hitec has a big advantage in built in safety.
sandy11 is offline Find More Posts by sandy11
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy11 View Post
Optima 7 is free. It comes with voltage telemetry and dedicated Rx power, which are both required for safe operation IMHO. The other telemetry features aren't required for safety. I was comparing the cost of operating the most basic safe setup for ten models.

http://www.hitecrcd.com/offers/fro2012.html
You obviously haven't been in the hobby that long. Receiver voltage is not required for safe flying. Been done for years without it.

The SPC port is not exactly fool proof. It only helps against brownouts, nothing else. If the main battery pack fails the plane crashes, if the SPC battery fails, the plane crashes. It does not provide redundency.

Why are you adding a Life pack into the Spektrum numbers?

The free O7 is a Hitec promotional special. Spektrum and Futaba BOTH had promotional specials for a free receiver as well.

I do agree that Hitec receivers are cheaper than Spektrum and also easier to use not having the silly satellite which is just one more thing to mount and several more connections to fail.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
But that setup will brown out easy and you'd have to use a timer. IMHO that is not safe for a big plane or God forbid a large helicopter. All Specktrum users should at least add a TM1000 for voltage telemetry and an Rx pack to models with enough momentum to hurt but I don't see many due to the cost. It seems like Hitec has a big advantage in built in safety.
You need a receiver pack for the Hitec as well.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Not exactly a fair comparison:
  • Hitecs Optima 6's dont have full telemetry support
  • Tm1000's already come with SPMA9570's and temperature sensors so thats not needed.
  • The Tm1000 or the cheaper tm1100 are also the equivalent of the hitec sensor station, which of course isnt compatible with the Optima 6's you bought.
  • receiver packs ? Really ? How much different is really fast reconnects vs only having the receiver on , if the voltage to the servos is insufficient to move them ?
  • Spektrum does offer failsafes in most of their receivers, for whatever good that helps anyone.
  • A Spektrum setup weighs 40 ounces more ? Are you trying to fly the radio around too ?
Try and make the comparison a little more valid, the A9 is a strong enough radio not too need any unfair help.
I don't think bystanders care if you have telemetry with the exception of a voltage readout for safety. A third party system like quantum voltage might be cheaper way bring the Spektrum system up. I saw a guy flying his Aligns a hobby king quantum system that was under $60 for the unit and only $30 per model. That's cool people appreciate that.

Rx power is also a safety concern. I see a crash per weekend at my club from low Rx power without LiFe of a BEC direct to the battery.
I don't think leaving that is a way to save money. It cost more to buy a new plane than an LiFe 123 pack..

It is easier to ignore the cost and weight of basic modern safety, but even if people at the club don't say it they appreciate safe pilots. I get in my car when I see a guy fly a big helicopter with on a timer. Planes aren't as scary to bystanders but one good crash and the radio system is paid for anyway so why skimp?

The 40 ounces is for ten LiFes and ten TM1000s. How do you set up fail safe profile on an AR600? I didn't think you could??
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Not exactly a fair comparison:
  • Hitecs Optima 6's dont have full telemetry support
  • Tm1000's already come with SPMA9570's and temperature sensors so thats not needed.
  • The Tm1000 or the cheaper tm1100 are also the equivalent of the hitec sensor station, which of course isnt compatible with the Optima 6's you bought.
True, the Optima 6 only has battery telemetry but for any Spektrum RX to have this feature you need to add the Tm1000 which actually costs and weighs the same as the O6 alone.

Equivelent would indicate that it is capable of exactly the same functions which currently it is not.

Mike
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:59 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
You need a receiver pack for the Hitec as well.
They have SPC which eliminates brownout and Hitec has instant relink for blackouts that come back. A dedicated Rx battery is safest but it is so rare that a battery goes to 0 voltage that most bystanders with RC knowledge are fine with a direct to battery BEC. All LiPos perform below a 2/3rd voltage threshold eventually so a crash with direct Rx power is a matter of when not if.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:03 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,477 Posts
DSMX relinks instantly too.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
DSMX relinks instantly too.

Andy
Spektrum brand DSMX doesn't always relink fast enough to maintain control. This is an interesting brownout test
Spektrum Receivers - Brown Out Test (5 min 16 sec)

This is a blackout test
Aurora 9 re-link performance (0 min 46 sec)

But without SPC or a direct to battery BEC Spektrum will stay blacked out so relink is only a part of the safety issue.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 01:31 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,477 Posts
The video shows a rx bound in DSM2 mode - very easy to tell, because the brownout LED blinks. DSMX does not support a brown-out LED.

Having the other type rx bound at the same time also proves that point. DSMX is only available in genuine Spektrum products.

This video shows nothing.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry View Post
True, the Optima 6 only has battery telemetry but for any Spektrum RX to have this feature you need to add the Tm1000 which actually costs and weighs the same as the O6 alone.

Equivelent would indicate that it is capable of exactly the same functions which currently it is not.

Mike
There is no doubt, that the two-way receiver setup of the Spectra 2.4ghz system is an elegant solution. Now please give us an Aurora 12 (or better!)
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
I don't think bystanders care if you have telemetry with the exception of a voltage readout for safety. A third party system like quantum voltage might be cheaper way bring the Spektrum system up. I saw a guy flying his Aligns a hobby king quantum system that was under $60 for the unit and only $30 per model. That's cool people appreciate that.

Rx power is also a safety concern. I see a crash per weekend at my club from low Rx power without LiFe of a BEC direct to the battery.
I don't think leaving that is a way to save money. It cost more to buy a new plane than an LiFe 123 pack..

It is easier to ignore the cost and weight of basic modern safety, but even if people at the club don't say it they appreciate safe pilots. I get in my car when I see a guy fly a big helicopter with on a timer. Planes aren't as scary to bystanders but one good crash and the radio system is paid for anyway so why skimp?

The 40 ounces is for ten LiFes and ten TM1000s. How do you set up fail safe profile on an AR600? I didn't think you could??
You must honestly walk and drive around in fear of your life! How many people get killed every year due to a crashed plane or heli? I bet it's VERY, VERY small.

You should worry about your DRIVE to and from the field! Thats your best chance of getting hurt or killed.

Do you drive over bridges with a parachute and a life preserver on as well?
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
You must honestly walk and drive around in fear of your life! How many people get killed every year due to a crashed plane or heli? I bet it's VERY, VERY small.

You should worry about your DRIVE to and from the field! Thats your best chance of getting hurt or killed.

Do you drive over bridges with a parachute and a life preserver on as well?
I know how often LiPos peter out unexpectedly. I hope the AMA will require a voltage read out to pilot electric planes weighing more than 2 pounds and electric helicopters larger than one pound. Nitro is a reliable and consistent fuel source. I am ok with timing nitro birds.

I hope there are no veterans flying large LiPo model on a timer these days. That was always very unsafe IMHO, even in the days when there was no choice. Most people used to not wear seat belts and pilots used to use timing instead of GPS.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,298 Posts
Quote:
I hope there are no veterans flying large LiPo model on a timer these days.
I frequent large warbird threads. There is lots of talk about how many minutes you can fly with what pack. There is no talk at all of voltage telemetry systems that I have read. It seems from that the vast majority of large warbirds time their flights. There are many veterans on these threads. It seems reality is the opposite of what you hope. Oh... and no crashes reported due to LiPo failure. Pilot error, bullet plugs popping out, prop failure, ESC failure, yes. I'm sure some have crashed due to LiPo failure, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:55 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,660 Posts
"But that setup will brown out easy" ... Sandy you have no idea what you are talking about. I have had between 45 and 50 models ready to fly at any time on my 9503, most with Orange DSM2 receivers, and since going to 2.4 a year ago I've flown hundreds of hours with them with no brown outs. You may honestly think it's not safe but IMHO you need to get a clue as to what you are saying...

"not safe for a big plane or God forbid a large helicopter"... Is the airplane in my avatar big enough for ya?

Your answer was to this post I made;

Originally Posted by Evan D
This post is just funny. I fly 99% DSM2 with a 9503 and about 80% Orange receivers in 48 ready to fly planes. It's not that expensive. A lot less than when I had them all on 72MHZ with my two Futaba 9C Supers.

Quote:
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
"But that setup will brown out easy" ... Sandy you have no idea what you are talking about. I have had between 45 and 50 models ready to fly at any time on my 9503, most with Orange DSM2 receivers, and since going to 2.4 a year ago I've flown hundreds of hours with them with no brown outs. You may honestly think it's not safe but IMHO you need to get a clue as to what you are saying...
Anyone with a few hours under their belt knows how easy LiPos dip. I'm not saying you're a beginner, but everyone should consider the safety of others. How obvious is it to add a fuel gauge? I just don't get some people.