HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:46 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Question
Hitec Aurora 9 vs. Spektrum DX8

Hi eveyone,

Firstly, I am very new in that site so I could not find any similar topics for my question. If I repost that question, I am apologies already.

Primarily my question for both of spektrum dx8 and hitec aurora users (also I'm open to other ideas ). I am planning to build a Y6 multicopter for aerial photography. In the beginning I decided to buy DX8 but later after I read some problems of DX8, I started to think the Aurora 9.

Honestly, after my search I like the Aurora's features; such as advanced telemetry, touch and bigger screen, 9 channels and etc. However, when I contact with the local rc shop, he said to me that he sold more DX8 than Aurora 9

Could you give me any advice please?

Many thanks...
Cypro is offline Find More Posts by Cypro
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypro View Post
Hi eveyone,
Firstly, I am very new in that site so I could not find any similar topics for my question. If I repost that question, I am apologies already.
Primarily my question for both of spektrum dx8 and hitec aurora users (also I'm open to other ideas ). I am planning to build a Y6 multicopter for aerial photography. In the beginning I decided to buy DX8 but later after I read some problems of DX8, I started to think the Aurora 9.
Honestly, after my search I like the Aurora's features; such as advanced telemetry, touch and bigger screen, 9 channels and etc. However, when I contact with the local rc shop, he said to me that he sold more DX8 than Aurora 9 Could you give me any advice please? Many thanks.
There are some retailers who suggest that which they wish to clear out of exisiting stock
or perhaps take advantage of special offers then available..

A independant comparison/review, by a user of both the DX8 & Aurora, is available:
Hitec Aurora 9 vs Spektrum DX8

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:08 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,484 Posts
I have given the same advice many times.

Go to the local flying field and see what the modelers are using. One thing for you to consider very important is, "Who will help me when I have a question?" For most people it will be the guys they are flying with. If nobody else at the field has the same brand of radio as you, it will probably be quite difficult to get help. You may also want to get help from the retailer - see what radios he is actually familiar with using, not just selling. Yes, you can ask us here, but you need internet access to reach us, whereas the guys at the flying field are a few steps away.

Finally, after you know which brand(s) are popular at the local field and how the shop can help you, you need to feel the radio - don't make a decision based on price or features alone. You are going to be flying while holding the transmitter, so make sure it's something you like to feel. The position and spacing of switches will be important.

If you don't fly with others, then perhaps it is less of a problem to know what others locally are doing. In that case, ease of programming and intuitiveness will be important criteria. In that department you'll find the Spektrum DX8 to be one of the most intuitive radios around. You won't have to try to figure out what abbreviations mean, for the most part we are able to spell out the words, or to use self-evident abbreviations.

Andy

PS - If you decide later that you don't like the radio you purchase, you will find it has more value locally if you have a brand they are familiar with.
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
There are some retailers who suggest that which they wish to clear out of exisiting stock

A independant comparison/review, by a user of both the DX8 & Aurora, is available:

Alan T.
Many thanks Alan,

I saw that comparison also and I could not believe that there are this much differences between these two radios which are selling similar prices and nearly same featured items.
Briefly, Aurora picket up 1 more scores The local dealer is out of stock for Aurora at the moment and hopefully will be coming by the end of the week so I have a few days to make decision. thanks again...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Cypro,check your personal messages.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Go to the local flying field and see what the modelers are using. One thing for you to consider very important is, "Who will help me when I have a question?" For most people it will be the guys they are flying with. If nobody else at the field has the same brand of radio as you, it will probably be quite difficult to get help. You may also want to get help from the retailer - see what radios he is actually familiar with using, not just selling. Yes, you can ask us here, but you need internet access to reach us, whereas the guys at the flying field are a few steps away.

Finally, after you know which brand(s) are popular at the local field and how the shop can help you, you need to feel the radio - don't make a decision based on price or features alone. You are going to be flying while holding the transmitter, so make sure it's something you like to feel. The position and spacing of switches will be important.

If you don't fly with others, then perhaps it is less of a problem to know what others locally are doing. In that case, ease of programming and intuitiveness will be important criteria. In that department you'll find the Spektrum DX8 to be one of the most intuitive radios around. You won't have to try to figure out what abbreviations mean, for the most part we are able to spell out the words, or to use self-evident abbreviations.

Andy

PS - If you decide later that you don't like the radio you purchase, you will find it has more value locally if you have a brand they are familiar with.

Thanks Andy,

I am agree with you but I am a Cypriot and I am doing master in archaeology. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone from Edinburgh who interesting this hobby
or any flying field in here.
Finding information from internet is much more easier for me now

Many thanks Andy
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,484 Posts
I take it you are doing archaeology in Scotland then? If you filled out that information on your profile, we may all be able to help you better.

There are other Cypriots here, and there are Scots here. I'm sure you can find one another if you post a link looking for a connection.

The local shop you mentioned should be able to connect you with other local modelers.

And one final thing - when reading Internet postings, be sure you check the other posts made by that person. If somebody recommends using an oil as a way to clean pots, for instance, you might want to reconsider some of their other recommendations.

I know of at least two other professional photographers who use the DX8 for their aerial photography from multi-copters. One is in the Philadelphia area, and the other in North Carolina. The DX8 is a very good radio for that purpose.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:

Go to the local flying field and see what the modelers are using. One thing for you to consider very important is, "Who will help me when I have a question?" switches will be important.

Andy
This advice may be a good advice in the case of buying a Multiplex, Spektrum, Graupner, Sanwa/Airtronics, Futaba etc. Tx, but not for the HiTEc Aurora - the programming of an Aurora is self-explaining, you will never need the help of somebody else, nor you need to carry the manual with you at the field - after you have learned to programm your very first airplane.

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,015 Posts
Quote:

Alan T.
Tho the review is "independant", the nature of it is quite apparantly , heavily biased .
But -it is your review and you can flavor it however you like
I can't find any real faults with either system but the features I prefer are simply not found on the HiTech .
Just one more opinion.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
I know of at least two other professional photographers who use the DX8 for their aerial photography from multi-copters. One is in the Philadelphia area, and the other in North Carolina. The DX8 is a very good radio for that purpose.

Andy
Why?

The Aurora has much more flexibility in programming than the DX 8, remember, the DX has not even a program for programming sailplanes, it is possible to program a sailplane with it, but the programming is not very helpful in order to do that.

You can even not decide to switch all the functions to all switches and gimbals, there is a limit, not so with the Aurora, you are free to decide, what function you want on what switch.

If you can see and hold in your hands both radios at you local dealer, do it and let your stomach decide, after all the DX 8 is also a good radio now, after some updates, but you will get more for your money buying an Aurora after all.

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:32 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,484 Posts
Since we're talking about a multi-copter application, your sailplane comment has no place. I wonder why you would think there would be a connection.

I won't put words into their mouths as to why they selected the DX8, but it seems that these men apparently chose and continue to use the DX8 because it meets their professional multi-copter needs.

We all know that it is quite easy to program, no touch recalibrations required

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:05 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
I just bought an A9 after serious consideration of many brands. I have had(and still use), Futaba, Hitec, and Spektrum radios and so does my dad.

I have flown and extensively played around with my dads DX8, good radio as far as looks and programming go as well as functions. The price is right if you know where to buy it.
But, in my experience and my dads, we have had too much trouble with our Spektrum products to risk buying another one(my dads DX8 has gone back to HH several times).
I hope they have fixed most of their issues and it sound's like they have.

After some research, I decided on the A9 due to it's reliability, ease of programming, features, cheaper receivers(without any satellites and an SPC port) and feel. I'm not presently into telemetry, but its nice to have the reciever voltage displayed on the transmitter screen WITHOUT a telemetry module. Sliders are nice, for my other models besides aircraft that this radio will be used for.

What don't I like about the A9? Its ugly IMHO, and it's stock battery capacity is a little low, but the battery capacity can be fixed and the looks hopefully will grow on me.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:27 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
953 Posts
Quote:

Alan T.
Im pretty sure the majority of RC shops have Spektrum radios outsell Hitec ones, which brand helps them sell Horizon BNF stuff ?

Feature and programming wise the A9 wins, the DX8 isnt a shabby radio either though. And if Hitec isnt selling as much its their fault by not offering a successor to the A9, Im sure people would love an Aurora 12..
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
6,015 Posts
Depending on what one likes to fly- the basics really do make a difference
If I flew lots of gliders -I would want the trim levers and a sailplane program
The real dealbreaker -as I see it- is the Bind -N Fly and the Model Match- Without those features - I simply don't want a system.
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,514 Posts
Quote:

Alan T.
That's not a review, that's a bashing:roll eyes: I had to go look at my radio to make sure he was talking about the same radio (DX8). I have had mine for over a year with no problems at all. The internet can be a great source of information or a greater source of misinformation. For what it's worth.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H