SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Discussion
If you could only have 1, what plane would you want?

I'm a bit of a minimalist of sorts. I'd like to get an RC plane but I am not looking for a collection of planes, just 1 that will keep me happy for years. I'm not looking for hardcore aerobatics, I just want to fly around the park with some speed. I only have a small bit of experience flying friend's planes, so I need something easy to operate.

I've looked at the Bixler, the EPO ParkJet Wing, the Icon A5, and many others. They all seem to have both Pro's and Con's, as I'm sure every plane will.

What plane would you recommend if you could only have 1? Something easy to fly and have some fun making it go fast in the park?

Thanks for any help!
LooseScrew is offline Find More Posts by LooseScrew
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:46 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,839 Posts
With your experience level and level of interest the Bixler would be a decent choice.

However, BE WARNED the hobby is addictive and it won't be long before you start accumulating more

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
With your experience level and level of interest the Bixler would be a decent choice.

However, BE WARNED the hobby is addictive and it won't be long before you start accumulating more

Azarr
Jeeze, $107 for a full plane including transmitter, not too bad.

I didn't realize it was that cheap, I was thinking that it would be more like $400-500 or so
Last edited by LooseScrew; Feb 20, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:04 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
The Bixler would be a good start, however will not last you long! A fast plane to begin with is not a good idea and it is best to start slow.
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:20 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,788 Posts
I would say a light Funjet, not the ultra, easy to launch, can fly parkfly speed and faster, lands easy, not that hard to fly...

setup like :

3s 2200mah lipo
inrunner 2500-3000kv with a 6x4 prop
60A esc(which would allow 4s possible later if wanted)
2x hitec hs-65 servos
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
F-27C Stryker, not sure if they still sell em, but you can make em from spare parts w/o electronics for $60 or so..

Ultimately its not as fast as a Funjet, but it does have a better slow flying envelope and is fairly easy to handlaunch.

A GWS Formosa would also work well.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:08 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,646 Posts
i also would have to have the FUNJET, have'nt flown the ultra yet. mine has a 2900kv outrunner, 6x4 sport, 60 amp plush esc, 2x hitec- 65 servos. thats what i run on my funjet, great setup for the plane. i run 3 and 4cell batts without having to change the prop.
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:10 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
I would say a light Funjet, not the ultra, easy to launch, can fly parkfly speed and faster, lands easy, not that hard to fly...

setup like :

3s 2200mah lipo
inrunner 2500-3000kv with a 6x4 prop
60A esc(which would allow 4s possible later if wanted)
2x hitec hs-65 servos
why do you like the original funjet better?
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:48 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Temuka
Joined May 2011
177 Posts
I like the FMS/Airfield 1.4 Cessna 182 its a good flyer and with a few easy mods can really fly fast
started with helis last year (got a honey bee for xmas ) and only just got into planes as well

and yes once you get started its very addictive
firey1 is offline Find More Posts by firey1
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:38 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
why do you like the original funjet better?
Quite a bit lighter = easier to launch, dont need that powerfull setup, lower stallspeed = fly slower..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
I think for the price and what you get with it, the Bixler is going to be my purchase. It's $107 ready to go with radio and all. I'll spend a little more money on batteries and some type of charger that I could use in the house (the included charger is 12V and it seems like a 12V power supply will cost more than a 120V charger) but those things I'll be able to use on other aircraft.

This is a Hobby King item only, correct? LHS's wouldn't stock it?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:58 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseScrew View Post

No, your LHS will not stock it
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:59 AM
Joined May 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
I think for the price and what you get with it, the Bixler is going to be my purchase. It's $107 ready to go with radio and all. I'll spend a little more money on batteries and some type of charger that I could use in the house (the included charger is 12V and it seems like a 12V power supply will cost more than a 120V charger) but those things I'll be able to use on other aircraft.

if your going to get extra batteries then its worth getting a decent charger you can get them from HK for about $17.00
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14857
i use one of those even for the 6 cell and use a laptop power pack as the supply you can pick them up real cheap
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firey1 View Post
if your going to get extra batteries then its worth getting a decent charger you can get them from HK for about $17.00
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14857
i use one of those even for the 6 cell and use a laptop power pack as the supply you can pick them up real cheap
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking this since it's 120V and ready to go for home charging: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html

Look good to you?
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined May 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking this since it's 120V and ready to go for home charging: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html

Look good to you?
yes they are a good all in one unit and have very good rating
you wont have any problems with it
and it will future proof you for the future should you go like me and get hooked