HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Hyperion 1420i Net3 - Will it do the job?

Hi All,

I have been out of the RC hobby for almost 10 years. I have taken an interest in getting back in and buying myself a 1/8th Scale HPI Vorza Flux buggy just to kill some time on my weekends. I do not intend to become a pro track racer anytime soon. I need some sound advice on Charging because it does seem that the world of batteries have changed somewhat.

Now I have already decided that I will install single packs into my Vorza instead of two dual packs. I'm thinking of buying two Gens Ace 5S packs and two 4S packs. What I would like is a decent charger that will be powerful enough to charge a single 4S or 5S pack but also give me the option to charge two packs at a time. The charge times I expect from this charger are approx 30mins for a single pack or with two 4S or 5S packs.

I like the look of the Hyperion Chargers and there seems to be a lot of positive feedback amongst other online users. I was looking at the AC/DC versions but they seem a bit underpowered so I considered the 730i Net3 only to find it will only charge single packs.

After some more time reading online it seems that the only two options are the Hyperion 1420i Net3 or the popular 720i Super Duo3. Now I understand that both of these chargers need a decent Power supply to get the most full power output from them. I have already got some quotes for Meanwell power supplies. I decided a 750watt Meanwell for the 1420i and a 1500watt for the Super Duo 3.

When I do the math the Super Duo3 solution including PSU and cables works out to be almost $300 USD more when compared to the 1420i solution.

I understand that the SuperDuo3 is a true dual charger but is it overkill for someone like me? Is it really worth the extra $300 for someone who will take the buggy to the park for the occasional bash? Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding of the 1420i is that because it has two balance taps, I can setup two identical packs in series and charge them at the same time. Is this correct?
If so would this not be a better solution for someone like me? Is there any concerns in using the 1420i in this manner?

One more question regarding series charging on the 1420i. If I charge two battery packs on the 1420i do they need to be at the exact same discharge state? For example do they both need to be 3.2v to successfully charge them both in series? Im guessing because each pack is connected to a separate balance board that it would not matter?

Hoping to get some solid feedback before spending any $$. I look forward to your responses. Thanks
pafalzon is offline Find More Posts by pafalzon
Last edited by pafalzon; Feb 20, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind, you need lipos that are happy being charged at 2c or higher to charge them in half an hour. Most packs are happiest charging at 1c (1c = 1x the capacity, so if it's a 5000mah pack, charging at 5a).

If you want to charge 4s5000mah or 5s5000mah packs at 10a, you're definitely going to have to pay, especially if you want a dual port charger that'll do that.

To be honest, if you're not racing and don't *need* to charge two packs in 3 minutes, save your money and get a budget AC/DC charger that will charge each single pack in about an hour. You don't have to sit there and watch it while it charges, and three packs will be done in a single evening easily. I've got an Imax B6AC that cost me about $40, and it works great.

The dual port chargers are really just two chargers in one case, you don't charge in series or parallel, it charges two packs 100% independent of each other.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the reply wparsons. The Gens Ace Packs claim they can be charged up to 5C. I personally would not want to charge them any higher than 3C or 4C.

My good friend who races today also recommended the B6AC but when I told him what packs I was going to use he suggested maybe buying something with a bit more grunt for the long term. Do you think the 1420I will do what I need it to? I want something with at least 300w output.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:55 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,783 Posts
More grunt is nice, but if you don't NEED to charge packs faster (ie to make your next heat), charging at 1C will make the packs last much longer.

IMO, you could buy two B6AC's for far less than one hyperion and still charge two packs at the same time.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Any feedback on the iCharger 206B paird up with the Junsi 350W Power Supply? Seems like a cheaper alternative.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:07 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
410 Posts
the imax b6ac is a 50W charger, how many mah is the lipos
4s at 50W = 50W/ (3.7V x 4s) = 3.37A max charge.
5S at 50W = 50W/ (3.7V x 5s) = 2.70A max charge.
That's if my math is correct, I'm sure it is. but thats the max charging capable on a 50W charger
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
the imax b6ac is a 50W charger, how many mah is the lipos
4s at 50W = 50W/ (3.7V x 4s) = 3.37A max charge.
5S at 50W = 50W/ (3.7V x 5s) = 2.70A max charge.
That's if my math is correct, I'm sure it is. but thats the max charging capable on a 50W charger
Im looking at 5000mah on the 4S and 5300mah on the 5S
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:46 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
410 Posts
the 4s the highest you could charge with a 50W charger is 3.3A between 1/2 C and 1C charge rate. approx 90min charge time.
The highest with 5s is 2.7A which is about 1/2 C of the 5300mah approx 2 hour charge time.
If your looking for single battery charging for the 5300 5s, what is needed for a 1C charge rate, is 100W, 6A charger to be able too charge at the 5.3A.

But your limited to 1C if you pay extra money for lipos that can charge at 2C or more, your still stuck at the 5.4A. of the chargers limit, this is for a 100W. charger

A 50W charger is great for 2s lipos.
but when you reach 3s it charges at 4.5A. then higher the cells the less it can do.
Last edited by traxx de maxx; Feb 22, 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
the 4s the highest you could charge with a 50W charger is 3.3A
and the highest with 5s is 2.7A which is about 1/2 C of the 5300mah
If your looking for single battery charging for the 5300 5s, what is needed for a 1C charge rate, is 100W, 6A charger to be able too charge at the 5.3A.
But your limited to 1C if you pay extra money for lipos that can charge at 2C or more, your still stuck at the 5.4A. of the chargers limit, this is for a 100W. charger.

I have read that series charging is not good for packs that were not discharged connected in series. So maybe the 1420I Hyperion is not right for me?

So is the iCharger 206B considered a good choice? I can also use this for parallel charging which is supposed to be a lot more flexible.
Last edited by pafalzon; Feb 22, 2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: added series charging question
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:21 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
410 Posts
i think any charger that is over 150W should be considered, Google or boardreader search engine for any reviews about them.
I've never tried parallel or series charging but i think most are doing parallel. Parallel your doubling the capacity so 2x 5s with 5,300mah each will be 5s 10,600mah series would be 10s at 5300mah, I don't think there is a 10s charger, but both setups still requires a power supply and a powerful charger.
Hyperion is a good brand name