SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by mandevil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
Build Log
Fuselage servos, wing servos extension wire

Today I continued building my Bixler.

First thing was to glue servos to the fuselage halves. It sounds like 10 minute job, but it wasn't easy at all. The main trouble was attaching the elevator and rudder control wire to the servo and to be, at the same time, able to screw in the servo arm. On the first servo I decided to unbend the "z" bend in the wire, but it is so stiff, that I barely managed to bend it back. On the other servo, I discovered, that it's better to thread the arm on the wire first, than manoeuvre the servo so that the screw can be tightened through the hole in the fuselage. The HXT-900 servos are not pefect match for Bixler and some cutting of EPP is necessary. For which I don't have the right knife, so I was using clumsy cardboard cutter. I glued the servos in with two-sided tape used for mounting mirrors and some smaller amount of hot glue for added security.

This is how the result looks like:

For the wings servos (ie. ailerons), the three-lead servo wire is too short, so extension must be made. After some deliberation and with some input from others, I decided not to bother with servo connectors and cut the existing servo wire and solder the wire in the middle. Seems easy, but for a neophyte hobbyst it was two hours job, since there were 12 soldered joints. This is how it looks:

Preexisting three-wire servo cable is cut, each cut about 1 cm apart.

Extension cable needs to follow the same patern of cuts.

All the cables prepared for soldering.

My amateurish solder job. Note, that the middle (red) lead needs to be isolated to prevent any potential short circuits.

The finished thing after testing that the servos still work. The servo cables are now almost 60 cm long and should reach the receiver comfortably.
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:14 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,702 Posts
Great job! I have found that old IDE cables make great servo extensions in a pinch. Just strip 3 off and use a sharpie to color one side and solder as you did.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:44 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Curious... is that BitchX running on your computer??? At first I was thinking mIRC with a wierd script... but then I noticed it a bit more, and saw the putty window and knew BitchX seemed more likely!

Rofl I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread...
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:59 AM
Joined Jun 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Curious... is that BitchX running on your computer??? At first I was thinking mIRC with a wierd script... but then I noticed it a bit more, and saw the putty window and knew BitchX seemed more likely!

Rofl I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread...
BTW, it's X-Chat.
mandevil is offline Find More Posts by mandevil