SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Gallery
Another New Quad and New video...

Well....I think Tim was right, I am really starting to like the flight characteristics of a Quad. I took the new one out for a spell this weekend along with the old stick version. The whispershot link is smoother IMO.

http://www.whispershots.com/Aerial-i...9p3RZjJ/Medium

Winter River (5 min 30 sec)

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Just curious what frame that is. I have read through several of your more recent threads and I was under the impression you were more of a build it yourself kinda person. How does this frame compare to the home built quad? which by the way I have seen some of your videos and they are excellent..

fb
fbaron3 is offline Find More Posts by fbaron3
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:01 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,365 Posts
As always, an outstanding video, Mike! I'm trying to remember which camera you are flying now? Even the quad's shadow was confirming the steady-as-a-rock image. Always look forward to your work! Great show!

Larry
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:04 AM
USA, IL, Decatur
Joined Sep 2010
108 Posts
another awsome Power style low and steady video. I have enjoyed my introduction to Multi's with your $30 frame design. The pool noodles have worked as great shock absorbers for a newbie. This looks like a cool rig also, hope you share your setup with us.

Rick
shutternut is offline Find More Posts by shutternut
Old Feb 20, 2012, 05:10 AM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,704 Posts
Very nice ..Well done
Great video & music..
Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:05 AM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts
Nice work Mike. Onto a Hex!

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbaron3 View Post
Just curious what frame that is. I have read through several of your more recent threads and I was under the impression you were more of a build it yourself kinda person. How does this frame compare to the home built quad? which by the way I have seen some of your videos and they are excellent..

fb
You are right...I have always enjoyed and promoted a DIY approach on AP platforms. I kind of jumped on the darkside and purchased a fram kit from Rusty at AGL Hobbies. It kind of goes against my grain but I thought I would try one. For the most part it is a very nice frame. Heavy in comparison to my wood frames but it does have a good look to it. By the time you add the cost of the frame, landing gear, and tubes you are looking at under $200.00 not bad butt a ton more than a woody

http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/Ru...AP1-Sport.html

Mike
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,928 Posts
Superb.
I would keep my hands away from that quad though... it's got a bit of a mean look, don't let it get hungry !
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old May 03, 2012, 08:19 PM
USA, IL, Decatur
Joined Sep 2010
108 Posts
Mike/Power, I am building a simular rig, what arm length do you recommend for slow AP cruizing?

Thanks, Rick
Old May 04, 2012, 02:49 PM
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutternut View Post
Mike/Power, I am building a simular rig, what arm length do you recommend for slow AP cruizing?

Thanks, Rick
Hi Rick, good question... I used to think that the longer arms made for a more stable quad. This is, or can be true. What I have found is that the longer arms make for a slower response by the controller so things can seem smoother. The size is easier to see as well. In the wind the longer arm quads seem to get batted around more than the shorter arm quads due to larger overall area.

The quad I used in the video on this thread is now cut down to 20" motor to motor (diagonal) from 29" I converted it to fit in my Nanuk case. It is still really smooth. So to answer your question anywhere in this range would work.

Mike
Old May 04, 2012, 10:37 PM
USA, IL, Decatur
Joined Sep 2010
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Hi Rick, good question... I used to think that the longer arms made for a more stable quad. This is, or can be true. What I have found is that the longer arms make for a slower response by the controller so things can seem smoother. The size is easier to see as well. In the wind the longer arm quads seem to get batted around more than the shorter arm quads due to larger overall area.

The quad I used in the video on this thread is now cut down to 20" motor to motor (diagonal) from 29" I converted it to fit in my Nanuk case. It is still really smooth. So to answer your question anywhere in this range would work.

Mike
thanks for the reply, I wasn't sure about the relationship between size and the ability of the NAZA to self correct or if the gains could be adjusted to compensate. I am keeping an eye on your Nanuk project also, how could it possibly get better than a travel quad with camera packed on a motorcycle for a weekend expedition?
Last edited by shutternut; May 04, 2012 at 11:06 PM.