HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 25, 2004, 09:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
I'd go with the Mega. Gregg has made me a believer.

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2004, 09:35 PM
Purple power
gregg f's Avatar
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
The 12xl is a slightly hotter motor

I run mine on 9s2p Tanic lithiums (33 oz).
That would be around 27 GP's (56 oz).
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 09:43 PM
Registered User
Ed Waldrep's Avatar
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,935 Posts
Man, $110 for a Mega vs $240 for a Hacker, which is what, 5 % more efficient? Going with the Mega gives you $130 toward Lipos, which are a great weight saver. I know which one I picked, and it wasn't purple either!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 09:51 PM
Purple power
gregg f's Avatar
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Also the Mega comes with "free" flow through ventilation
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 09:53 PM
Acme Powered!
Joe Elston's Avatar
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
Elevator Coupler

Yep, its a no brainer I am going with the Mega and Jeti 77 Advance. Is there really much difference in the Advance being labeled as being able to handle Lipo cells and regular cells? Will my HM-77-3P work just as well with a 9S2P and 22/30/2?
Thanks Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 10:07 PM
Purple power
gregg f's Avatar
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Elston
Yep, its a no brainer I am going with the Mega and Jeti 77 Advance. Is there really much difference in the Advance being labeled as being able to handle Lipo cells and regular cells? Will my HM-77-3P work just as well with a 9S2P and 22/30/2?
Thanks Joe
Joe:
My Advance is not lipo configured. I bought it before the new version was released. In fact, All of my jets are lipo powered and none of them use lipo specific controllers. I haven't seen the need.

I see no difference between the h/m and the advance (IF) you use the mega motor. The timing options are ideal for the mega.
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 01:29 AM
Official Boat Bum
Eddie P's Avatar
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,490 Posts
Hi Gregg, I was wondering how many flights you have had on the 9s2p so far. My curiosity is mainly toward the heat the Mega is seeing as well as the lipoly pack, and how long you are flying the model for for each hop. I know it is probably flying in upper 80 to low 90 degree weather so we're seeing realistic heat on the setup.

I've flown my 5s4p 8200mah lipolys in EDF a few times this year since it's been getting warmer and they still seem to be doing really well in 80 degree weather but I know the older 6C cells just can't hang in the heat like I suspect the newer 10C stuff can.

Thanks for all your data on your setup, it's helpful.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eddie P; May 26, 2004 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 05:16 AM
Purple power
gregg f's Avatar
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Hi Gregg, I was wondering how many flights you have had on the 9s2p so far. My curiosity is mainly toward the heat the Mega is seeing as well as the lipoly pack, and how long you are flying the model for for each hop. I know it is probably flying in upper 80 to low 90 degree weather so we're seeing realistic heat on the setup.

I've flown my 5s4p 8200mah lipolys in EDF a few times this year since it's been getting warmer and they still seem to be doing really well in 80 degree weather but I know the older 6C cells just can't hang in the heat like I suspect the newer 10C stuff can.

Thanks for all your data on your setup, it's helpful.
Eddie:
So far a total of 5 flights.
2 in the Panther which has no cooling. Ambient temps in the mid 70's to 80 deg.
3 flights in the E.B. Ambient temps from 70- low 90's. This one does have cooling air around the pack.
I have around 10 flights with the 8s2p in the Panther so far.

Flight times range from 5 min to 7min. I don't think I've been over 7 min.
The 8s wot is 8c and averages 5-6c over the flight duration.
The 9s wot is between 9 and 10c and averages 6c.
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2004, 05:02 PM
JB
Registered User
JB's Avatar
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jan 2000
764 Posts
I know Ralf is on vacation and will be back early next month!
JB is offline Find More Posts by JB
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 09:01 PM
Purple power
gregg f's Avatar
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Well it looks like the Tanic pack is fully broken in.
The #'s have risen a bit.
First throttle up after a charge produced 1470w @ 47a
Here is a pic where it settled after 15-20 seconds. Pack was cold, so the numbers should rise when it warms up.

Haldor's video inspired me to get another flight in today
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Last edited by gregg f; May 27, 2004 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 10:00 PM
Acme Powered!
Joe Elston's Avatar
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
El Bandito

Wow Greg, that is seriously impressive. So do you like the Tanic Lipos more than you did the Thunder Powers? I am wondering about the new 10C 2000 TP cells if they will be as good as the Tanics? Your Bandito must really scream that Mega has really performed outstanding and would still do so if it cost twice as much I am impressed and will run one in my plane.
Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2004, 05:11 PM
Purple power
gregg f's Avatar
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Had a few more flights this week. Temps around 90 deg.
Feels like a Honda Civic when I recharge. Very thrifty on the mah.
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2004, 01:59 AM
Official Boat Bum
Eddie P's Avatar
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,490 Posts
More like an Acura NSX? I hear that gets pretty good mileage too
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2004, 03:14 AM
Registered User
Gordon's Avatar
Joined Aug 2000
3,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg f
Jim:
Using the 9s2pTanics 2200 cells. One advantage of the Tanics is getting a custom configuration. You can call Brian with the dimensions and He builds it to fit.............gregg
Hi Gregg

You've really got my interest here!! My GP3300s are great, and I was on the point of buying some more... but their weight is such a pain. No probs for a Tiger Moth but before I build more EDF jets I need lighter batts for 'em. And more duration

I'd be grateful for answers to a few Qs:

Have your packs got the Tanic Taps?

I've been surfing the Tanic website and can only find reference to 2150mAh and 2500 cells - is your 2200 a typo or have newer cells come along?

Also, your 9s2p pack looks as if it's made up from a pair of 9s1p packs paralleled - is that right?

Such a make-up would be great as for some models I'll need to have two packs joined in parallel with 5" leads between them. Please can you run a ruler over one of your 9s1p packs and tell us the measurements? Dimensions of the whole 9s2p will be fine as I can divide by 2

Also what's the make-up and dimensions of your 8s pack?

Sorry for all the Qs but your answers will help me to spend big bucks wisely

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2004, 05:31 AM
Purple power
gregg f's Avatar
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Hi Gregg

You've really got my interest here!! My GP3300s are great, and I was on the point of buying some more... but their weight is such a pain. No probs for a Tiger Moth but before I build more EDF jets I need lighter batts for 'em. And more duration

I'd be grateful for answers to a few Qs:

Have your packs got the Tanic Taps?

I've been surfing the Tanic website and can only find reference to 2150mAh and 2500 cells - is your 2200 a typo or have newer cells come along?

Also, your 9s2p pack looks as if it's made up from a pair of 9s1p packs paralleled - is that right?

Such a make-up would be great as for some models I'll need to have two packs joined in parallel with 5" leads between them. Please can you run a ruler over one of your 9s1p packs and tell us the measurements? Dimensions of the whole 9s2p will be fine as I can divide by 2

Also what's the make-up and dimensions of your 8s pack?

Sorry for all the Qs but your answers will help me to spend big bucks wisely

Gordon
Hi Gordon:

taps, yes

the 2150/2500's are newer generation 12c cells. same diminsions I believe.
Kevin's waiting on them now.

it's now configured as a 5s2p and a 4s2p serialed together.
total size of both packs taped together is:
48mm wide (26mm for the 5s and 22mm for the 4s)
55mm high
190mm long
wires are 80mm 12g
the 5s is really 2 cells in length x 5 wide
the 4s is 2 cells long x 4 wide

cheers!
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
El Bandito Chris True Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 202 Dec 23, 2003 06:45 PM
El.Bandito RG ralf dvorak Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 23 Jan 18, 2003 01:01 PM
RD-Jets finally in english, too. El.Bandito etc. ralf dvorak Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 5 Jun 24, 2002 10:50 PM
El Bandito (ralph Dvorák) Anyone Flying It? CESARNOGUEIRA Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 11 Mar 17, 2002 09:28 PM
finally available: "El.Bandito" is here! ralf dvorak Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 19 Dec 13, 2001 07:04 PM