HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:16 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
China Launches Manned Space Mission

Congratulations to the Chinese for this achievement. They're awfully smart, and I wonder, if they ever get their political and economic systems fixed, whether they would become the next Super Power, leaving the U.S. behind as a supplier of movies, fast food concepts and Wal-Marts?
Big Foot 48 is online now Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:36 PM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
We certainly are sending a lot of our greenbacks over there. Providing lots of jobs... for them.

If we continue sending jobs overseas, who in America will be able to buy their products in the future? I guess my sons and daughters could learn to speak the language and head to China.

Yeah, that might work.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Last edited by mode1; Oct 14, 2003 at 11:41 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 11:59 PM
El Queso Grande
Rippin in Hood River, OR, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,141 Posts
Sure, if they want to earn 50$ a month.
windsurfer is offline Find More Posts by windsurfer
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:13 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
I read just a few years ago that 8 million Chinese still live in caves.

BTW, the last time I checked about 94% of Americans were still employed and I for one like to buy $50 microwaves vs. the $1300 one I bought 20 years ago.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:45 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Surprisingly (or not) in this case things aren't as clear as we believe

- guess which country has lost the most manufacturing jobs over the last seven years ?

The US has lost 2 million over that timeframe - about 11% of the total here.

but China has lost 16 million - about 15% over the same time period !

I don't know how this will all come out, but people felt the same way as farming fell from 60% of the population to 3% over the decades.

more facts and figures here :
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...d=aRI4bAft7Xw4
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Oct 15, 2003, 03:30 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,296 Posts
I'm not that impressed with space travel any more. The Americans and Russians perfected the technology 30+ years ago, and it's probably available on the internet....

What impresses me is how they managed to fit a bain marie, steamer, and deep fryer into the capsule to keep the astronaut fed...

Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Old Oct 15, 2003, 04:42 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
Lets not forget that for centuries China was the pinnacle of advanced technology and thought on this planet. When Europeans were fighting their battles with swords and shields and no white man had set foot in the Americas the Chinese had actually developed solid fuel rockets as armaments. The Chinese had invented matches and paper fully a thousand years before such things were in use in Europe.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 15, 2003, 05:28 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,262 Posts
What's wrong with giving a bit of credit where credits due? I congratulate them for doing it and hopefully it will all be a sucess, but i have the opinion there are a few here who might like to see them fail.
Let's not forget about the bloke that was put inside the thing and i'm hoping that the electrical wiring is better than the chinese motorcycle (scooter) I worked on today Not good!

Anyone else notice how clean the burn was from the rocket? what are they using as fuel?
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Oct 15, 2003, 08:40 AM
No "R" !!!!!!!
Where Spacemen Live (TX)
Joined Jan 2000
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gouch

Anyone else notice how clean the burn was from the rocket? what are they using as fuel?
It seems all the engines are liquid fueled:

LM-2F (China)
Two-stage vehicle with four strap-on boosters

Stage 1 consists of four YF-20B motors that burn UDMH/N2O4, providing 665,800 lb of total thrust

Stage 2 uses one YF-22B engine and four YF-23B verniers burning UDMH/N2O4, generating a total thrust of 177,200 lb

Each strap-on booster uses a single YF-20B liquid engine, generating 166,450 lb of thrust each

http://www.fas.org/spp/guide/china/launch/cz-2f.htm

I say good going China. I've read they have plans to go to the moon as well. I hope so. Humans in space has been stagnant too long.
Fitz Walker is online now Find More Posts by Fitz Walker
Old Oct 15, 2003, 09:08 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
A little competition does wonders for everyone. Maybe if the Chinese went to the moon the US would focus on Mars and forget about the boring International Space Station and costly Shuttle taxi rides.

Mars in 2010!
Old Oct 15, 2003, 10:07 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
It strikes me that achievements of this scope are more than anything "Human" achievements, regardless of the propaganda and political aspects.

The more nations that throw some of their economic and intellectual efforts into space travel, the sooner it will be when we can really exploit the benefits of the solar system.

Maybe China is the Hundredth monkey!
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:06 AM
Where's the CA?
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2003
727 Posts
Have they released video of the launch yet?
Mindblade is offline Find More Posts by Mindblade
Old Oct 15, 2003, 11:31 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,978 Posts
Every race has made a contribution to where we are. I know this sounds simplistic and the contributions have been varied, but they are still present.

Gun powder and rockets from China

Calculus from what is now Iran

Systematic and accurate accounting probably from the Jews

Many medical "discoveries" have been known for years by various tribal cultures in "uncivilized" areas of the world

Contributions to the calendar and atronomy have been made by the Egyptians and American (North and South) civlizations that no longer exits

Concepts of philosophy and law have come from all areas of the world

So when the term from "Human" achievement for Irusdog was mentioned, I think it said it all

Just think the Irish gave us Whiskey and the Scotts gave us Whisky

England gave us a ride to the New World and we in turn gave them a good effort at helping them resist domination by an Evil force (not an evil nation)

The Polish helped us with the Revolution

The Cherokees taught us how to build log cabins - now we are all one

What affect one can effect all -

Just rambling thoughts, but no nation is the best or the brighest, but the US is a good place to be because we do tend to absorb the best and the brightest from everywhere for a common good.

Peace,
LcJ
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:00 PM
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
12,183 Posts
I saw the launch on the news and it looked kind of like a Russian designed rocket. It said the lone astronaught would be put in a low orbit. I never heard anything about landing! Does anyone know how they're going to get this poor guy down?
Buzz is online now Find More Posts by Buzz
Old Oct 15, 2003, 12:05 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,978 Posts
Land?

Ooops.....

Forgot that part!
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member