HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
thx gordonzo for the reply!

the 5889 looks like it has a swash plate problem when under stress, so dunno if the new gt9019 would have the same problem...
the only thing i don't like about the 9019 is that the tail rotor is mounted on a plastic wing.
the 9019 looks good for the price (about 99euro's against 155euro for the F45)
too bad there arent any flying vids of it.
still can't decide
alcatres is offline Find More Posts by alcatres
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:48 PM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,487 Posts
155euro for the F45!!!?? I saw it for less than 80euro on Aliexpress mate make your research wisely

here you go 110USD = 84 euro with free shipping. At one time it was also listed at 103USD!! Only drawback is you'll prolly wait a whole month for it to arrive at your door !!

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
markkona is online now Find More Posts by markkona
Last edited by markkona; Apr 10, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:31 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,747 Posts
Try this store.
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html
Also 110.00 US free shipping by EMS
I got mine in 2 weeks.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2007
273 Posts
I was reading one of the posts where someone said that with the stock battery the F45 flies for 15-20 minutes. Very impressive!! Still trying to figure out which aftermarket lipo to use that will be (A) lighter, and (B) offer better performance.

Also, who makes a heatsink that will fit the motor?
hope12839 is offline Find More Posts by hope12839
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
yes i know you can get it cheaper but here in belgium if its not delivered inside EU there will be import taxes to pay on it thus making it evenly expensive...
alcatres is offline Find More Posts by alcatres
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:50 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope12839 View Post
I was reading one of the posts where someone said that with the stock battery the F45 flies for 15-20 minutes. Very impressive!! Still trying to figure out which aftermarket lipo to use that will be (A) lighter, and (B) offer better performance.

Also, who makes a heatsink that will fit the motor?
I think 15-20 min is a fantasy. And might get your motors hot.

The HBFPV2 heatsink fits right on (and looks good). I plan to check temps with and without.

I have a 7.4V 1500mah 15c li-po that weighs 53gr vs stock 94gr. I only have a couple of flights on it so I still need a few more charges to condition the battery. I also ordered a 7.4V 2200mah 25c with an advertised weight of 106gr.

Updates to follow.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:15 AM
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,487 Posts
Just bought it. Now the waiting game begins
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:52 AM
Germany, BY, Fuchsstadt
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
F45 2nd flight in a wide field ( needs to have )

Hi heli friends and freaks of F45,
here's a mobilephonecam video from my second F45 flight on a wide meadow field near my home, an always changing wind and an on car window tapped mobile phone, so it looks a little bit nervous( just like me too ).
here's the vid link:

2ndFlightF45

regards
zimmi
zimmi is offline Find More Posts by zimmi
Last edited by zimmi; Apr 26, 2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:45 AM
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,487 Posts
nice meadow there Nice flying too hehe how long is your flight time on one battery zimmi?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:54 PM
Germany, BY, Fuchsstadt
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Hi markkona, today I had my 6th flight, in the evening with nearly no wind. This last flight was about 8 to 10 minutes, I guess. The longest flight up to now I've measured was about 11 minutes with full charged stock battery. Next I will try a lipo with 1800mAh from Jamara, which I've already in use in my T23 ( 25C! ).
I'll report next time.

regards

zimmi
zimmi is offline Find More Posts by zimmi
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2007
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
I think 15-20 min is a fantasy. And might get your motors hot.

The HBFPV2 heatsink fits right on (and looks good). I plan to check temps with and without.

I have a 7.4V 1500mah 15c li-po that weighs 53gr vs stock 94gr. I only have a couple of flights on it so I still need a few more charges to condition the battery. I also ordered a 7.4V 2200mah 25c with an advertised weight of 106gr.

Updates to follow.
Who makes the HBFPV2 heatsink and where did you buy it, and for how much?

Since you seem to have the most experience with the F45, how long are you finding the average flight time to be with the stock battery?

Looking forward to a full report on the 2200mah 25C battery as to performance and how will it fits the stock battery holder.
hope12839 is offline Find More Posts by hope12839
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:34 AM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmi View Post
Hey guys,
here's a handycam video from my second F45 flight on a wide meadow field near my home, an always changing wind and an on car windows tapped handy(cam), so it looks a little bit nervous.
here's the vid link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXKbRKWrDI&feature=youtu.be[/URL]

regards
zimmi
Nice flying Zimmi. As you have probably already noticed, because of its size and momentum the F45 loves a large open flying area. You are lucky to have access to such a nice place to fly.

I have a few suggestions if you don't mind. I noticed you were touching the ground occasionally. If you have not already done so, try increasing your throttle setting from 50% to 60% (for mid-stick). Also increase your elev and ail settings from 90% to 100%. These changes will improve your throttle response and wind handling ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmi View Post
Hi markkona, today I had my 6th flight, in the evening with nearly no wind. This last flight was about 8 to 10 minutes, I guess. The longest flight up to now I've measured was about 11 minutes with full charged stock battery. Next I will try a lipo with 1800mAh from Jamara, which I've already in use in my T23 ( 25C! ).
I'll report next time.

regards

zimmi
Hovering around my yard seems to use up the battery much quicker but when I am able to get out into a large field like Zimmi's, I am also getting in the 10 minute +/- range, which I think is pretty good for a stock battery.

I would be interested in more info on that 1800mah battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope12839 View Post
Who makes the HBFPV2 heatsink and where did you buy it, and for how much?

You can find a blue heatsink for about $4 by clicking here.

Since you seem to have the most experience with the F45, how long are you finding the average flight time to be with the stock battery?

I'm getting 10 min +/- in a large field and a few minutes less when hovering around in my yard. I think there are others with more flight time now as I have mostly been flying my smaller helis indoors and in my yard lately.

Looking forward to a full report on the 2200mah 25C battery as to performance and how will it fits the stock battery holder.

If we all share what we have tried, what works and what doesn't work, we can avoid making the same mistakes. That's what this thread is all about.
I am glad you are all here and thank you for sharing your experiences and ideas. I hope you are enjoying the F45 as much as I am. So far it appears to be a keeper.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:56 AM
New to hobby
Czech Republic, Central Bohemia, Tınec nad Labem
Joined Mar 2012
22 Posts
I haven't wrote something in a long time, but a lot happened, so I want to inform you.
I have ordered slightly different list of spare parts than I listed. It is now 2 weeks since my order, and the parts finaly left Honk Kong, yesterday. I didn't know how predictive I was when ordering them, but they will be very usefull...

What I bought:
#003 - Short connector - 1x pair
#005 - Blade holder - 2x
#014 - Main motor - 1x
#026 - Central axis (Upper plastic head) - 2x
#030 - Tail tube assay - 1x
#### - Horizontal fin - 2x

What has happened so far? I am doing fine, loving my heli. Flew many times, crashed few times, broke nothing (until yesterday). I've found out that when the heli is turning left and there is stronger wind from the side, It cannot turn and goes straight instead (I might have discovered something already known). Turning in other direction helps, but it is anoying when practicing eights. I believe this is common for all 4ch helis

I care about my battery, so I've ordered a voltage meter for 1-8S to be mount on the heli. It makes sound and flashes red. It also has 3 digit display to show cell voltage. I will test it this weekend.

I consider buying bigger battery as well. I'm looking forward to your review of 2200mAh 25C, gordonzo!

Great flying Zimmi, you fly better eights than me...

I've also unmounted the tail support tubes to save some weight and allow it to gain higher FF speed. I was on the huge field, trying big eights and it was perfect. The forward speed improved a great deal and the response to the stick as well (According to my obsevations, when pushing the elevator stick forward results in slower response, than pushing it back; with the tail support tubes off, forward/backward response felt equal). Everything was fine until some wind started blowing and I somewhat found myself in the same situation as gordonzo in his first video from the field.
It was the biggest crash I had so far. I was going from the eight's loop forward and wanted to gain some speed. Unfortunately, I did not know the power of wind and I maintained full elevator forward and about half throttle. The wind made the nose go even lower, so the F45 appeared to be almost in vertical position heading towards the ground FAST! I threw elevator back on full and added throttle to lit the nose up, It was too late, the wind kept it in the same position and the throttle only made it go faster to the ground. It did not respond to any stick movement and when I was about 2m above the ground, where the wind was calm, it slowed down a bit but not enough. I cut the throttle little too late.
It landed on the nose so hard, that the battery flew out of its position about 2cm, being stopped by the wires, one of them had the rubber coating rubbed off a little. One side of balance bar was bent in about 45° and totaly covered in mud, one of the short linkage was loosen a little. Canapy had no defect except scraped color and some mud. Tail boom sees ok even though it was not holded by tail support.
After some bending and checking I made servo tests. Everything OK. I spinned the motor and got some huge vibrations, bent the balance bar a little more, vibrations were gone. So I started to do little circles close above the ground to see if everything is really OK. It was but than I started to hear strange sound irregulary. I landed immediately. I made some checks and found out that it is the main motor.
It must have been due to the late throttle cut. I want to have a look at the motor insides but that needs to wait until I go home.

Do you have any other suggestions on what could happen to the motor? Luckily I've ordered one spare.

Wish you all safe flying, Gorduza
Gorduza is offline Find More Posts by Gorduza
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorduza View Post
I haven't wrote something in a long time, but a lot happened, so I want to inform you.
I have ordered slightly different list of spare parts than I listed. It is now 2 weeks since my order, and the parts finaly left Honk Kong, yesterday. I didn't know how predictive I was when ordering them, but they will be very usefull...

What I bought:
#003 - Short connector - 1x pair
#005 - Blade holder - 2x
#014 - Main motor - 1x
#026 - Central axis (Upper plastic head) - 2x
#030 - Tail tube assay - 1x
#### - Horizontal fin - 2x

What has happened so far? I am doing fine, loving my heli. Flew many times, crashed few times, broke nothing (until yesterday). I've found out that when the heli is turning left and there is stronger wind from the side, It cannot turn and goes straight instead (I might have discovered something already known). Turning in other direction helps, but it is anoying when practicing eights. I believe this is common for all 4ch helis

I care about my battery, so I've ordered a voltage meter for 1-8S to be mount on the heli. It makes sound and flashes red. It also has 3 digit display to show cell voltage. I will test it this weekend.

I consider buying bigger battery as well. I'm looking forward to your review of 2200mAh 25C, gordonzo!

Great flying Zimmi, you fly better eights than me...

I've also unmounted the tail support tubes to save some weight and allow it to gain higher FF speed. I was on the huge field, trying big eights and it was perfect. The forward speed improved a great deal and the response to the stick as well (According to my obsevations, when pushing the elevator stick forward results in slower response, than pushing it back; with the tail support tubes off, forward/backward response felt equal). Everything was fine until some wind started blowing and I somewhat found myself in the same situation as gordonzo in his first video from the field.
It was the biggest crash I had so far. I was going from the eight's loop forward and wanted to gain some speed. Unfortunately, I did not know the power of wind and I maintained full elevator forward and about half throttle. The wind made the nose go even lower, so the F45 appeared to be almost in vertical position heading towards the ground FAST! I threw elevator back on full and added throttle to lit the nose up, It was too late, the wind kept it in the same position and the throttle only made it go faster to the ground. It did not respond to any stick movement and when I was about 2m above the ground, where the wind was calm, it slowed down a bit but not enough. I cut the throttle little too late.
It landed on the nose so hard, that the battery flew out of its position about 2cm, being stopped by the wires, one of them had the rubber coating rubbed off a little. One side of balance bar was bent in about 45° and totaly covered in mud, one of the short linkage was loosen a little. Canapy had no defect except scraped color and some mud. Tail boom sees ok even though it was not holded by tail support.
After some bending and checking I made servo tests. Everything OK. I spinned the motor and got some huge vibrations, bent the balance bar a little more, vibrations were gone. So I started to do little circles close above the ground to see if everything is really OK. It was but than I started to hear strange sound irregulary. I landed immediately. I made some checks and found out that it is the main motor.
It must have been due to the late throttle cut. I want to have a look at the motor insides but that needs to wait until I go home.

Do you have any other suggestions on what could happen to the motor? Luckily I've ordered one spare.

Wish you all safe flying, Gorduza
Hey Gorduza - that video where the wind sent me nose-diving into the ground was supposed to show you what NOT to do.

Have you checked your main gear and motor gear to make sure that there is no damage and that they are meshing properly.

Also check that the locking collar just above the frame is secure, and that there is no up/down movement in the main shaft.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
New to hobby
Czech Republic, Central Bohemia, Tınec nad Labem
Joined Mar 2012
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
Hey Gorduza - that video where the wind sent me nose-diving into the ground was supposed to show you what NOT to do.

Have you checked your main gear and motor gear to make sure that there is no damage and that they are meshing properly.

Also check that the locking collar just above the frame is secure, and that there is no up/down movement in the main shaft.
yeah, I know ... I've learned now.

The main gear and motor gear are meshing properly. I took out the motor, gave it a spin outside the frame and blew few times into the motor, now it doesn't do any strange sound. I put it all together and am about trying it in the hall.

The shaft is perfectly streight and there is very very little up/down movement. I checked the collar and it took a 1/4 turn, isn't this supposed to be glued, since It is metal to metal connection (through the main shaft), right?
Gorduza is offline Find More Posts by Gorduza