Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
what do you think of this canopy???
Very nice. Can you try it on your F45.
If I keep the brushless mod, the MJX canopy is too tight for the wiring. I have a spare HK450 but it is way too big.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 07:59 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Very nice. Can you try it on your F45.
If I keep the brushless mod, the MJX canopy is too tight for the wiring. I have a spare HK450 but it is way too big.
The F 45 canopy design is an exact copy of the esky belt cp v2 !! wonder how well would it fit, I like the clear glass part and it has the vent holes on the sides as well
markkona is online now Find More Posts by markkona
Old May 30, 2012, 08:03 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Brushless Motor testing using EH200 Motor, 10T pinion and Turnigy Basic 18Amp ESC.

I tried this with 1800mah 30C battery this morning and for the first 4 minutes had lots of power. As I continued flying I would bring down to a hover and do lift tests. By 5 minutes, the lift was less than brushed motor. This is similar problem I had with the other HK speed controller. I do not think it is the speed controller going into cut-off mode though, as this was gradual decline in power.
I checked the main gear to pinion clearance to ensure it was not getting tight but it was still ok. I checked the motor and ESC temp and they where about 26C (75F).
Battery voltage was at 7.79 after 5 minutes when I landed.

For a comparison, I strapped a 850mah 3s 60C 11.1 volt battery under the camera and whet for a fly. It was at 12.51 volts to start. The power was increased but still flyable with not problem. With this battery, I continued to fly and stop for lift tests for 8 minutes, which is way to long for this battery. I never did see a significant loss in lift power during the flight. After landing, I checked the 3s battery voltage which was 10.79.
I usually do not go below the 11.1 voltage, but this was a good test to see the difference.

On my testing, I am becoming convinced the brushless mod requires 11.1 volts for the motor to maintain significant power through out the flight. With the 7.4 volt batteries, it is still flyable for 10 minutes, but when the power is reduced as the voltage is reduced, you lose your extra power safety margin.

What kind of results did you guys get on longer flights. How was the power after 5 to 10 minutes.
Old May 30, 2012, 08:24 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,464 Posts
I think something like that happened to me this morning after abt 5 mins flight I suddenly seemed to lose control of the heli it starting twitching and tail was unsteady but I thought it was a fluke or reception problem!! Next flight I will keep heli as near me as possible when nearing the 5 min mark coz it gave me a real scare thought I was going to crash from abt 50ft high!!
markkona is online now Find More Posts by markkona
Old May 30, 2012, 09:36 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Brushless Motor testing using EH200 Motor, 10T pinion and Turnigy Basic 18Amp ESC.

I tried this with 1800mah 30C battery this morning and for the first 4 minutes had lots of power. As I continued flying I would bring down to a hover and do lift tests. By 5 minutes, the lift was less than brushed motor. This is similar problem I had with the other HK speed controller. I do not think it is the speed controller going into cut-off mode though, as this was gradual decline in power.
I checked the main gear to pinion clearance to ensure it was not getting tight but it was still ok. I checked the motor and ESC temp and they where about 26C (75F).
Battery voltage was at 7.79 after 5 minutes when I landed.

For a comparison, I strapped a 850mah 3s 60C 11.1 volt battery under the camera and whet for a fly. It was at 12.51 volts to start. The power was increased but still flyable with not problem. With this battery, I continued to fly and stop for lift tests for 8 minutes, which is way to long for this battery. I never did see a significant loss in lift power during the flight. After landing, I checked the 3s battery voltage which was 10.79.
I usually do not go below the 11.1 voltage, but this was a good test to see the difference.

On my testing, I am becoming convinced the brushless mod requires 11.1 volts for the motor to maintain significant power through out the flight. With the 7.4 volt batteries, it is still flyable for 10 minutes, but when the power is reduced as the voltage is reduced, you lose your extra power safety margin.

What kind of results did you guys get on longer flights. How was the power after 5 to 10 minutes.
Now that's interesting BThirsk, did you happen to check the Tail Motor temp when using the 3s battery at all? what about the PCB?

Would be interesting to see how the stock electronics hold up with the extra voltage. Or was the 3s battery only powering the Brushless motor and ESC with a 2s for the stock parts?
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old May 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89 View Post
Now that's interesting BThirsk, did you happen to check the Tail Motor temp when using the 3s battery at all? what about the PCB?

Would be interesting to see how the stock electronics hold up with the extra voltage. Or was the 3s battery only powering the Brushless motor and ESC with a 2s for the stock parts?
You are only powering the ESC for the brushless motor with the 3s battery.
The 1800mah 2s battery that I have been using power the PCB, Servos, and tail motor. 3S would fry the pcb in an instant and the tail motor is driven off the pcb.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:32 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Quote:
I think something like that happened to me this morning after abt 5 mins flight I suddenly seemed to lose control of the heli it starting twitching and tail was unsteady but I thought it was a fluke or reception problem!! Next flight I will keep heli as near me as possible when nearing the 5 min mark coz it gave me a real scare thought I was going to crash from abt 50ft high!!
When you set yours up, did you set the throttle stick travel in the ESC?
If not, unplug the tail motor and your ESC will have instructions on how to set this.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
what do you think of this canopy???
Actually, that whole copter looks dang cool.

... Lennie

.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Old May 30, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
474 Posts
I am going to pose a couple of questions.
First: have you considered two batteries? One a 2s of 500 to 650 Mah to supply the PC board and the tail motor. The second a 3s of 1500 to 1800 Mah to supply the esc and the brushless motor.
These Mah selections are just examples and can be adjusted for the situation at hand.
Second: Another option that everyone seems to ignore is that the BEC on an appropriate esc can supply the pc board at a voltage that the PC board can handle. If the current capacity of the BEC is selected to occomodate the tail motor and the pc board then you have two completely isolated voltage sources availabled through one 3s battery.
The third option is called a UBEC and it is ment to supply the pc board independitly of the esc. It can be supplied by the 3s battery.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old May 30, 2012, 12:56 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
I have a dumb noob question: What's an "ESC"?

Old May 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
474 Posts
Some basic info on esc: http://www.rcheliwiki.com/ESC
Now you know what the music function is. As well as whether the esc is really set up properly
Old May 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
Some basic info on esc: http://www.rcheliwiki.com/ESC
Now you know what the music function is. As well as whether the esc is really set up properly
Thank you! Now I have a tad bit more knowledge.

... Lennie

Old May 30, 2012, 01:15 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Anyone have photos they can post of a finned heat sink installed on the stock F-45 brushed motor? I'm trying to determine which one to order before my F-45 arrives (currently in transit from China).
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Last edited by Hayabusa Heli; May 30, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
474 Posts
If you go to your LHS and look for the eflight:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1306801384...#ht_2159wt_952
Old May 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
I am going to pose a couple of questions.
First: have you considered two batteries? One a 2s of 500 to 650 Mah to supply the PC board and the tail motor. The second a 3s of 1500 to 1800 Mah to supply the esc and the brushless motor.
These Mah selections are just examples and can be adjusted for the situation at hand.
Second: Another option that everyone seems to ignore is that the BEC on an appropriate esc can supply the pc board at a voltage that the PC board can handle. If the current capacity of the BEC is selected to occomodate the tail motor and the pc board then you have two completely isolated voltage sources availabled through one 3s battery.
The third option is called a UBEC and it is ment to supply the pc board independitly of the esc. It can be supplied by the 3s battery.
Your suggestion of 2 batteries would work fine as that is how I tested it.
One thing I should mention is the battery hook up.
With the hobby king ESC, I had issue with the ESC going into program mode sometimes when I hooked up both the ESC and PCB together through a Y connector.
On the Turnigy, it goes into connection error when hooking up with a Y connector.
The method that worked properly for both was to power the pcb, bind to the tx, and then power the ESC. That way, it intitializes properly and gives the correct responses like battery cell count and initialization confirmation.
If you ran seperate lines from the ESC to power the pcb, it might work except for the issue about. I have no idea how that would play out.
I again am guessing that the way the TX initializes or a time delay in the pcb might cause these issue.
I have both these ESCs I am using with a Devo 8S tx and rx system and have no issues like this.