HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorduza View Post
So I've been flying inside for a while and got it hovering pretty well. Don't know how much to trim, because it seems that it is hovering well. The moves heli had may be due to wind in the room. What I think is not because of the wind, is turning around its axis (rudder?) but that may be due to low battery, need to try few more times. I have AILE 50% ELEV 50% RUDD 40% THRO 45% (I don't hit my 2,5m ceiling and have stick in the middle position). The motor could use some heatsink.

Thanks for info gordonzo, I will set it accordingly to your set up and I shall see. Have you trimmed your heli in any way?

We have three of these now and all hovered pretty good out of the box. I think I did some very minor mechanical trim to ensure all tx trims are as close to center as possible. They kick up a lot of wind inside and it makes them move around a bit. Outside with a bit of elevation they hover almost like a coaxial.

After all I have both my hands made of "idiot". I broke the little "wing" on the tail boom while lifting my heli from the ground. It cracked a little, because I am stupid. Now I need some glue, but not sure what type of plastic is it? Can you recommend some type of glue that should do it?

We have some friends and family that wear full idiot mitts when flying (those are the mitts with the strings through the sleeves).

Damage so far:

Pilot: Friend of my son

Tweaked main shaft and small dent in tail boom from a hard sideways asphalt hit. He always picks up a new (to him) heli and 'flys before he learns to fly it'. It still flys fine but onboard video is now a bit shaky.

Pilot: Friend of a friend of a friend.

This guy wears 2 pairs of idiot mitts. It is hard to keep enough parts around for him!

Broken top aluminum cap and cracked horizontal fin from flying beyond his very limited skill and landing completely upside down. I wish I would have seen it happen! He fixed the fin with CA and it seems to be holding.

And then next flight - a broken blade and internally stripped aileron servo gear from a full aileron sweep into the side of a barn under full power. He said he was trying to avoid hitting the barn.

I believe breaking is learning, so I broke the red nob siting on the main shaft... the rest is OK, just the little nob fell off. I cut the power (was at 30cm in the air) than it hit the wall and fell on the nob. Do you think that it is possible to fly without it, or does it have any special reason to be there?

The red hat is cosmetic.

Breaking is heart-breaking if you don't have parts.

The F45 is happier at 30 feet than at 30 cm.

I am going to order some spare parts from the link gordonzo posted. What other spare parts would you recomend buying?
main shaft (the plastic head) 2x
landing skids 1x
swashplate 1x
blade holders 2x
links for flybar (pair) 1x
This is my recent parts order. Keep in mind I supply heli crack to my friends and family, and their friends.

001 - aluminum cap
002 - balance bar
003 - short connector for flybar
004 & 005 - blade grip parts
007 - '7' shape buckle
008 - swashplate
### main tube (metal) (no part number listed)
016 - right 9gr servo for aileron
024 - landing gear
025 - balance bar rocker
026 - central axis (upper plastic head)
030 - tail tube assy

This list is probably a bit of overkill. I ordered 2 of each of the above but don't forget, I have to supply Mr. Two Mitts. I have not broken anything myself.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
MJX-F45 Review

Well it finaly got here on Monday and I have been over it with a fine tooth comb and I can't fault it. It flew straight out of the box no adjusting no trim nothing.

As for quality it is fantastic the one I was sent states "for sale in Mainland China Only" ths same as the camera which has a 1gig Micro SD card not the 512mb TF card that is stated when you go to buy it elsewhere.

As for a comparison to the Double Horse range it is way above them in all aspects and after flying this I would have to think twice before I brought any other brand other than this one.

I would have to rate it 9/10 only due to the plastic fins which should be metal and that it has no rear tail light for night flying orientation.

I will soon be installing the camera and a rear tail light other than that I will not be doing any mods to it and I will see how it goes for durability etc but I have noticed even after a full battery of just hovering which takes alot out ofthe gyro and motors both motors were slightly hot but touchable and cooled down very quickly after the flight.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
Well it finaly got here on Monday and I have been over it with a fine tooth comb and I can't fault it. It flew straight out of the box no adjusting no trim nothing.

As for quality it is fantastic the one I was sent states "for sale in Mainland China Only" ths same as the camera which has a 1gig Micro SD card not the 512mb TF card that is stated when you go to buy it elsewhere.

As for a comparison to the Double Horse range it is way above them in all aspects and after flying this I would have to think twice before I brought any other brand other than this one.

I would have to rate it 9/10 only due to the plastic fins which should be metal and that it has no rear tail light for night flying orientation.

I will soon be installing the camera and a rear tail light other than that I will not be doing any mods to it and I will see how it goes for durability etc but I have noticed even after a full battery of just hovering which takes alot out ofthe gyro and motors both motors were slightly hot but touchable and cooled down very quickly after the flight.
The F45 certainly has a quality feel to it and flight characteristics to match.

The 'for sale in China only' is on MJX boxes that come with Chinese instructions (and most of them do). The English version is available here.

My camera came with a 512mb card which is just enough for 1 battery.

You will find that when flying outdoors in a larger area the motors just get warm. But a heat sink might be a good plan. I have one from a HBFP that I will try to fit on there. I have a I/R temp gun so I can test before and after and report back here.

I am curious by what you mean by "a full battery of just hovering which takes alot out of the gyro and motors" If you mean the rudder needs trimming as the battery voltage drops I think that is pretty normal, and the li-ion batteries are not the best.

I think you will have a blast with the F45. Just watch the momentum and turning characteristics in a smaller area until you get comfortable with it. It prefers a large open area for less stress and more fun.

I also look forward to the details on your rear light.

Regards . . . . g
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:15 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:

Hey Eugene, whats the transmitter quality like? Sticks have a nice progressive and precise control feel?
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:59 PM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Hey Eugene, whats the transmitter quality like? Sticks have a nice progressive and precise control feel?
yep the trasmitter has a very good feel and is very precise in it's reaction to the heli it also has sliders to switch between modes without having to do it manualy which is a nice change, the sticks are hight adjustable. the camara is controled by the TX so you can turn it on and off etc and it has a very good range of trim and sub trim as well so all in all they have done a remarkable job with it.

Also a quick note about the TX there is no trim for the throttle at first I thought somthing was wrong with it but its the same for every mode, you have sub trim for it but no main trim as it automaticly sets the trim to 0.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:18 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,724 Posts
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/2...ay-Single.html

This is a real bargain IMO pity about the paypal bit!!
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Last edited by markkona; Mar 28, 2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:07 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkona View Post
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/2...ay-Single.html

This is a real bargain IMO pity about the paypal bit!!
Well actualy it's done realy well I paid for mine useing my visa card direct debit from my account to (not the seller but directly to Ali Express) and they hold the money until you recive the item and you are satisfied with it. The seller also has to send your item withing 4 days of the transaction or the deal is cancelled and your money is returned to you in full. Also the seller has 25 days after sending the item to you to get it to your door otherwize they are in breach of the contract and are delt with buy AlliExpress also when you recive the item you have to check it over then if you are happy with it you then put in a confermation of receving it and then you give them feedback and they give you feedback and then 3 days after confemation of you reciving the item they then pay the seller. Also the feedback gives you points for discounts from Aliexpress.
So it's even alot better than EBay IMO.

Also before you buy from anyone check the feedback tab to see what the sellers feedback rating is for an example
Win Lin's Page
So jus be aware who you are buying from and what their rating is.
Last edited by Whizgig; Mar 29, 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
when is the wind stopping??
Malta, Marsaskala
Joined Apr 2011
1,724 Posts
thanks for your tips Whizgig very much appreciated. this seller that I quoted link from has 98% positive feedback from what I can see and in the last month has only 1 negative feedback against 116 positive and 3 neutral so guess I can t go wrong with him
markkona is offline Find More Posts by markkona
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
I used .006" to shim the rotor blades for more tension. I made out of .002 brass shim stock. The center hole is .250" with OD of .650.
Tighten until you have enough tension that the rotor blades will turn the motor.
This heli needs a little more tension than the 9116 double horse due to more flexible blades.
The cyclic response has improved enough to actually do diagonal movements in hover mode under control and it appears to improve hover to now hands off out side without wind.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:27 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
ok I am upto over 50 flights with the f45 and so far no problems at all and I am having a ball with it best fp heli I have ever flown so far.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:42 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I used .006" to shim the rotor blades for more tension. I made out of .002 brass shim stock. The center hole is .250" with OD of .650.
Tighten until you have enough tension that the rotor blades will turn the motor.
This heli needs a little more tension than the 9116 double horse due to more flexible blades.
The cyclic response has improved enough to actually do diagonal movements in hover mode under control and it appears to improve hover to now hands off out side without wind.
Thanks for the info It dose make it alot better and even more responsive.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
ok I am upto over 50 flights with the f45 and so far no problems at all and I am having a ball with it best fp heli I have ever flown so far.
OK, first, you have way too much time on your hands.

Have you noticed any change in motor temp since first flights?

Oh, and the latest rumour is MJX will be releasing a small fp called the MJX-F16. I will need one!
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:05 AM
Eugene
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
OK, first, you have way too much time on your hands.

Have you noticed any change in motor temp since first flights?

Oh, and the latest rumour is MJX will be releasing a small fp called the MJX-F16. I will need one!
Nope all the same temps and yes I'm retierd so I have alot of time to play with the heli's
Getting around 15-20 min flight time depending on how much hovering etc and now up to over 60 flights with no motor or servo problems and it still flys the same as it did from day one apart from the change of the shims nothing else has been done to it I am very happy with it.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:47 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Getting around 15-20 min flight time
Wow that''s impressive! You might be able to compromise and use a smaller battery for improved performance.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
I purchased a MJX-f45 and like it. I now would like to buy another but a
BNF version as I already have the accessories. Anyone know of a seller that
offers a BNF package? I already sent a message to Ben at the store and am
waiting for a reply from him. Just looking for suggestons.
thanks
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly