HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:30 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Got an SMS from a family friend this morning asking if I'd lost my heli. Turns out it was handed into the lost property office and appeared in the local paper this morning .

Sometimes living in a small town where not much happens does have its advantages

Tried to hang the battery on my B6 - it had been plugged into the heli for 6 days - and got the expected "low voltage" warning. Plugged it into the stock charger for an hour to see if it would take and hold a charge, moved it over to the B6 after a half hour rest, and it's now up to 8.2 V and climbing. Think I'll leave the battery sitting a day or two to see if the charge level stays constant though before I use it again .

As you can see, the camera was undamaged too .

Here's how it happened. No nice music, no running commentary... just raw footage and some nice, if rather strange, views of Schwabach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjcZxuQVvmY

Cheers guys
One Very Happy Fin
Wow , thats great! Congrats Fin! Your lucky that she landed slowly and didn't crash into a car or house! Are the F45 electronics ok?
BTW - great video of Germany too, it's got me wanting to go back there to visit again!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:43 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,576 Posts
bits for BL mod

Went into town to Conrad (electro supplier) to get the various bits and bobs I'll need when my EH200 and ESC arrive.

When I told the guy what I was wanting a switch for (ESC + cable) he said that anything they had that would do the job would be too big for the heli. Fair enough, I had half an idea that might be the case. When I asked about plugs for connecting the motor to the ESC - mentioning banana plugs - he told me there was no way banana plugs would handle the 18A ESC rating, and proceeded to point me in the direction of some rather expensive "you have to buy these" plugs (don't ask, he'd lost me by this point).

Knowing fine well that several of you had successfully used banana plugs without problems, I decided to take my business elsewhere, i.e. online, as there's nowhere else in the area to buy this kind of stuff. Since I still don't really know what my best bet would be, I thought I'd post a link to what I've found...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/10-Paar-Banan...item23130940da
...and ask if anyone knows if they'll do the job. As far as the ESC power supply goes, I think I'll just buy the highest-rated switch I can find in the size I'm after and bench test it before flying. If it doesn't handle the current I'll maybe just use a jst plug or something similar and connect the ESC manually.

Thanks for your input guys.
Fin
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:59 PM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Same here. I was asking for some mini banana plugs (I've seen many of us use them on the motor) and when I mentioned the 18A current, the shopkeeper showed me only some really huge bananas. Well, looks like I will just simply solder the motor with the ESC.

I'm wondering where should I place the switch. Because of its dimensions the only place is behind the elev servo.

//If you will use a plug instead of a switch, I would recommend you the XT60 connectors, they are really massive and can handle 60A
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:13 PM
Südpfalz / Germany
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Went into town to Conrad (electro supplier) to get the various bits and bobs I'll need when my EH200 and ESC arrive.

When I told the guy what I was wanting a switch for (ESC + cable) he said that anything they had that would do the job would be too big for the heli. Fair enough, I had half an idea that might be the case. When I asked about plugs for connecting the motor to the ESC - mentioning banana plugs - he told me there was no way banana plugs would handle the 18A ESC rating, and proceeded to point me in the direction of some rather expensive "you have to buy these" plugs (don't ask, he'd lost me by this point).

Knowing fine well that several of you had successfully used banana plugs without problems, I decided to take my business elsewhere, i.e. online, as there's nowhere else in the area to buy this kind of stuff. Since I still don't really know what my best bet would be, I thought I'd post a link to what I've found...
http://www.ebay.de/itm/10-Paar-Banan...item23130940da
...and ask if anyone knows if they'll do the job. As far as the ESC power supply goes, I think I'll just buy the highest-rated switch I can find in the size I'm after and bench test it before flying. If it doesn't handle the current I'll maybe just use a jst plug or something similar and connect the ESC manually.

Thanks for your input guys.
Fin
Hy

For the motor < > ESC take 2mm devices. They are just wrigt. 3,5 mm is much to big !

http://www.ebay.de/itm/5x-2-0-mm-2mm...item20c3cc9e97

You can se mine here:
http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...9-SAM_0502.jpg

For a mainswitch you can use this one:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/5-Paar-Hochst...item20c3cca031

cheers

Werner
Werner_x is offline Find More Posts by Werner_x
Last edited by Werner_x; Feb 14, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:15 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Wow , thats great! Congrats Fin! Your lucky that she landed slowly and didn't crash into a car or house! Are the F45 electronics ok?
BTW - great video of Germany too, it's got me wanting to go back there to visit again!
I've only bench tested so far, as it's still windy and I don't want to lose my heli again . Headlight works, heli binds to the TX, motors run and servos seem to operate properly, so I think all is OK.

After charging the battery up I stopped the charge programm and disconnected the balance lead from the charger. When I went to disconnect the jst plug I heard a loud ZZSSST noise and the adaptor cable (deans to jst) just completely fried . Nearly had to change my underpants, but at least nothing else happened. The battery is now confined to a pile of housebricks I have in the yard where it's out of harm's way til I can get rid of it properly, but I'll need to make myself a new deans/jst lead so I can charge my lipos on the B6 again .
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:30 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,576 Posts
@ Zarrick & Werner

Thanks for the links guys

Just been looking into connecting jst plugs. From what I gather the best bet would be to get a female jst with the cables attached and solder the deans onto it. Got my work cut out on ebay tonight
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
Here's the latest addition to my fleet.
SWEETTTTTTT looking bird. I LIKE
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricomon View Post
Yeah, that 182 is a beauty. ...and gobs of fun, I'm sure. I certainly have more than my share of such "fixed pitch" aircraft as well. They don't hover very well, though.

I just came in from another enjoyable flight with my 300. These F45s are so much fun. I love to hover low over my head, then drop the nose and climb away. The sound and acceleration are so realistic.

Rick
i LOVE the slow flyover and the rotor sounds too... and its too windy (even for old bob) to fly
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:01 PM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
468 Posts
Congrats Fin! You should go buy a lottery ticket before your luck changes! LOL

BL ESC switches:

Radio Shack has several 15-18 amp 5-12 VDC plastic switches, many with LED back lights. They aren't very small, but they are primarily plastic, so they are very light weight. The one I have is lit red when off, and green when switched on. I'm gonna mount it on the back of the heli between the frame halves, so when I add my light kit orientation should be very nice.

Seeing all the BL mods is killing me! How freaking long does it take to get stuff from HK China???? Jeez!
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Got an SMS from a family friend this morning asking if I'd lost my heli. Turns out it was handed into the lost property office and appeared in the local paper this morning .

Sometimes living in a small town where not much happens does have its advantages

Tried to hang the battery on my B6 - it had been plugged into the heli for 6 days - and got the expected "low voltage" warning. Plugged it into the stock charger for an hour to see if it would take and hold a charge, moved it over to the B6 after a half hour rest, and it's now up to 8.2 V and climbing. Think I'll leave the battery sitting a day or two to see if the charge level stays constant though before I use it again .

As you can see, the camera was undamaged too .

Here's how it happened. No nice music, no running commentary... just raw footage and some nice, if rather strange, views of Schwabach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjcZxuQVvmY

Cheers guys
One Very Happy Fin
EXCELLENT Fin, your Bigbird came home after a wee holiday. I hope all is well
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:17 PM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
How to correctly connect a switch with three "terminals" (or contacts or "I dont know how is it called")? I bet my switches have backlight too, but Im connecting them in a totally dumb way... just look at the pic...
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
I am NOT believing this... ordered a main motor from RC Roanoke on 10 Feb, it arrived today!!! thats quick
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
468 Posts
Quote:
How to correctly connect a switch with three "terminals" (or contacts or "I dont know how is it called")? I bet my switches have backlight too, but Im connecting them in a totally dumb way... just look at the pic...
Zarrick that is almost identical to the switch I am using. Two of the leads are for positive(+) and one negative. The second positive post is for the back light. My wiring diagram was on the back of the plastic bag it came in, but many of these switches have a tiny diagram molded into the bottom of them.

Quote:
I am NOT believing this... ordered a main motor from RC Roanoke on 10 Feb, it arrived today!!! thats quick
Yes they are quick. I like them very much! My only concern is that I think they may be cannibalizing helis for their parts inventory. Some of what I got from them last time had evidence of being assembled before I got them. I've had no troubles from them whatsoever, but it did concern me a bit.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
468 Posts
While I am thinking about it, can any of you point me to a different canopy for my F45? I have busted/repaired/busted/repeated this one to death. It weighs more than the rest of the heli now! I don't care what brand it is, so long as it's a bit more sturdy.

Canopy and skids. I'm gonna go broke replacing them! It would be far cheaper just to land the darn heli, but I'm too stubborn for that. LOL
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:44 PM
Joined Dec 2012
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
'lit' switches need a return path to enable the light circuit. Take an ohm-meter and measure from the copper terminal to both silver ones. IF its a spdt switch one silver terminal will be open as the other is closed (AND alternate with the switch action)[thats a single pole double throw switch]. IF its a spst there will be 1 silver terminal that opens and closes... the other terminal would be the 'return' for the internal light.[making it a single pole single throw switch]
'pole' refers to how many switch sections are in the switch, 'throw' tells how many places the arm can connect to. on some switches you see this 'n.o.' and 'n.c.'... n.o. = normally open ... n.c. = normally closed
I finally got the full array of lights on my Redbird, 4 chassis green leds, one red led above the motor, 5 super-bright red leds in 'chase' function on the boom (provides EXACT direction of travel in the dark), and a red led tail light. Net weight gain was 5.5 grams, including a lights power switch