HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:41 AM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
baddb1 thanks for your answer! But sadly, its somehow not working. But I just find out that when I normally pair the Tx with PCB (right now after pairing the throttle is at 0%) and power on the ESS after that, everything is working well. So all what I need is a switch on the ESCs power cord and turn on the ESC after binding the heli, not at once with powering on the PCB.
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:44 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
I'm sorry arrowshooter, I read what I wanted to and confused myself. I'm still working on the terminology curve... I want a shaft or belt driven tail, and yes I'm going brushless...
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
baddb1 thanks for your answer! But sadly, its somehow not working. But I just find out that when I normally pair the Tx with PCB (right now after pairing the throttle is at 0%) and power on the ESS after that, everything is working well. So all what I need is a switch on the ESCs power cord and turn on the ESC after binding the heli, not at once with powering on the PCB.
That is the way it is supposed to work after you have set up your throttle end points for the first time.
Bind, make sure throttle is at 0%, then power up the ESC.
Your set to go.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:57 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,471 Posts
Dirty snow

I found this cool spot yesterday where there were piles of dirty snow piled up on a field. It made me want to shoot some flying video skimming just above the ground and then punching the throttle just enough to clear the tops. The scale was a bit off as the helicopter was bigger than some of the peaks but I think there were some good passes. It would have been even better if the peaks were 10x bigger. Anyway, it was fun times and I figure I should share it with ya.

F45 over the snow & gravel peaks (11 min 51 sec)
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:59 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
I'm sorry arrowshooter, I read what I wanted to and confused myself. I'm still working on the terminology curve... I want a shaft or belt driven tail, and yes I'm going brushless...
Gothchya. In order to have a shaft or belt driven tail you will need to incorporate a receiver that has a rudder servo port. In my F45/450 conversions I used the Walkera 2437V from the V200D01 that also includes a 3-sxis gyro.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Quote:
Gothchya. In order to have a shaft or belt driven tail you will need to incorporate a receiver that has a rudder servo port. In my F45/450 conversions I used the Walkera 2437V from the V200D01 that also includes a 3-sxis gyro.
Thanks. That's kinda what I was thinking. Thought the tail motor will be the "weak link" in the F45 if I EVER get my EH200 in, I think I'll save the belt-driven tail for another project.

I keep a couple spare tail motors on hand anyway...

Thanks again!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
685 Posts
Did someone tried the combination, stock frame, BL main, stock tail, non-stock 4 ch. PCB + transmitter ? Does the new F45 fly well enough, exempted of the cyclic return, to do upright fancy figures ?
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Last edited by fauconnier; Feb 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:37 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier View Post
Did someone tried the combination, stock frame, BL main, stock tail, non-stock 4 ch. PCB + transmitter ? Does the new F45 fly well enough, exempted of the cyclic return, to do upright fancy figures ?
It would make no sense to change to a different Radio system and still use the stock tail. You would need a brushed ESC to run it.
It would be better to go brushless direct drive tail. A brushless may be slower as reported, but it has the power to run direct drive, so even though a little slower, it will still be faster than the gear reduction brushed motor as I has to turn only 1/4 of the speed of the brushed motor to produce the same output.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
486 Posts
Quote:
It would make no sense to change to a different Radio system and still use the stock tail. You would need a brushed ESC to run it.
It would be better to go brushless direct drive tail. A brushless may be slower as reported, but it has the power to run direct drive, so even though a little slower, it will still be faster than the gear reduction brushed motor as I has to turn only 1/4 of the speed of the brushed motor to produce the same output.
Is there such a thing as a dual ESC, or do you just have to put two of them on a heli if running full BL?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:03 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Is there such a thing as a dual ESC, or do you just have to put two of them on a heli if running full BL?
You would need to run two ESC's.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:18 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I agree. You will not find a system that will handle a BL main with any type of tail motor without additional modification. You can look at some of the things these guys are doing to get an idea. http://www.rtf-heli.com/index.html
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:04 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
It was common to do a direct drive tail conversion on the HBFP. But, even though that heli is the same size, it had far less weight. So, I don't know if that would work. You might try reducing main rotor torque by trimming the blades down a little. That would require a lot of trial and error.
I wonder if the HB blades will work any better? I have had a set on order for a little while now, they should be here any day now....
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I found this cool spot yesterday where there were piles of dirty snow piled up on a field. It made me want to shoot some flying video skimming just above the ground and then punching the throttle just enough to clear the tops. The scale was a bit off as the helicopter was bigger than some of the peaks but I think there were some good passes. It would have been even better if the peaks were 10x bigger. Anyway, it was fun times and I figure I should share it with ya.

http://youtu.be/WEnRHrBh7tI
That's pretty cool. Looks like you are flying over mountains.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:14 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,471 Posts
I use the Extreme for HBFP blades and it does help but I do get some twisting from an under-compensating rudder if I punch the throttle too hard. It also gets rid of that problem where the stock blades flap at higher-than stock RPM but I am running 3S for the main motor.

I've gotten used to it so I know to expect it if I punch the throttle in a panic. Most often I just move the throttle up in a smooth motion until I get the speed I'm looking for and it works fine.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:37 PM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
That is the way it is supposed to work after you have set up your throttle end points for the first time.
Bind, make sure throttle is at 0%, then power up the ESC.
Your set to go.
Thats great! Can't wait to receive my second order from HK with pinions and charger, it should arrive this week.

Anyway, does this little switches (you know, standard metal/plastic switch as are they used in DIY amplifiers) have something like "electrical standards"? I mean that one can be used only at max. 2A, other one at 5A etc. As the switch goes at the ESCs power wire and its max is 18-20A
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick