Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:03 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
Tiggertoo -
Or if Frank can't make it, I'll do a full mockup on the bench here for you to copy. Sorry, didn't realise you had a real problem there.
Regards
John.
PS - been wondering for a while about your rcgroup handle - just how are things down in the hundred acre wood these days? .
Thanks a lot John. If you have a look at my edited post on the previous page you'll see that I've re-read some stuff I'd forgotten and now only have a couple of small queries. Really would like to know EXACTLY what the RX is. It's about time I suppose....

Oh, you know my friend, just bouncin' around, bouncin' around! . BTW the handle was The Wife's idea, been using it for years on ebay and in other forums. It's always available, so I guess there ain't too many people from 1962 that wanna be Tiggers anymore .

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Man View Post
And another note for the wise, BEARS DO SCHITT IN THE WOODS
Frank
... and wipe their ass with a rabbit

Cheers guys
Tigg
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:05 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
391 Posts
Thanks. Glad you guys like the 300. I'm also planning to scratchbuild a Mil Mi24 Hind fuselage for an F45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
I always wanted to have a train setup like you have and have it run around the house.
Ha ha! I have trains, planes, helis, slotcars, and sailboats ALL around my house. My wife is great about it, though. She even volunteered to give up three closets for my train layouts! By the way, that around-the-room O gauge layout was originally N scale. ...back when I could see worth a hoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
So yet another fellow chair guy there is allot of us out flying heli's these days, although it makes it allot easier these days to carry and retrieve the heli's now that I have the electric.
You should see me rolling to my flying field loaded down with three micro planes (all in their original boxes) and my three V911 in their Harbor Freight aluminum case. I'm not sure how I'm going to carry the F45, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowshooter View Post
Sure am glad they brought back the "7" shaped bones.
Nope, I bent my straight ones to the "7" shape, per one of the many helpful members on this thread. I've read the thread from the beginning, and I can't thank you guys enough for the great tips and mods!

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:26 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Hi Rick you sound like me heading over to the park with Cessna 182,F45,X3V CP and even the Micro Nano 100CP and in the back is the Trex 450 pro, radio gear,charger and 12v gell battery.

Yep I want your house and your very understanding wife, mine is lenient but not that lenient.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:29 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
859 Posts
WOW Ricomon is a veteran of this forum, joined 2002, holy schitt, thats a while ago man
I guesse flyin for you aint schitt, but for us noobs (ya me too) looks like you have a lot of experience as to flyin around. What would be impossible for us, is for you (I bet) like nothing to it.
Keep it up Dude

Frank VanHellsing
R.C. Man is offline Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:32 AM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Hi Guys

Edit 1: had a closer look at the ESC and saw that the servo plug is on it
Edit 2: read zdawg's post again, only need the + wire going through the switch. Have also boned up on cable connectors, think I'll just use banana plugs or similar.

Now I think the only info I'm after is about the 2nd switch (tail motor and receiver) and whether I can keep the blades and battery stock
- The second (tail) switch really only needs to be rated at 5A max (but I use Hard Disk extender cable plugs/sockets instead)
- 'The Rx' is normally considered to be the whole PCB - though technically, I suppose it's really just the little PCB under the main one.
- I still use the stock blades on my 45/450s - so you sure can!
- You CAN use the stock battery with no probs, but performance and endurance will improve considerably if you upgrade to the ones on my blog
Regards
John
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:34 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
859 Posts
Well, Im off to finish my 450 from HELLi, will be back in a bit, my buddy dropped off a lot of parts for my bird, and I dont put stuff like that off for long. OOPS i did what?....
Ohh forgot to take the trash out?
Oh well, have to wait till next week, lol more time for ma bird lol

Frank
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:41 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
665 Posts
Quote:
Hey man,
Got ya on the fuse/boom probs, blades too, just have to take it easy when toolin around with it, mine is made of lexan, so bumps and grinds shouldnt hurt it too bad.

Thanks anyway for the warnings Falcon

Frank
Or may be a shorter heavier flybar
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:45 AM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
391 Posts
Quote:
WOW Ricomon is a veteran of this forum, joined 2002, holy schitt, thats a while ago man
I guesse flyin for you aint schitt, but for us noobs (ya me too) looks like you have a lot of experience as to flyin around. What would be impossible for us, is for you (I bet) like nothing to it.
Keep it up Dude

Frank VanHellsing
Actually, I've been flying for over 40 years - R/C and full scale. The fact is, flying is rather tough for me these days. I've had only one eye since I was a kid. In 2005 I got optic neuritis in the good eye. I've been legally blind ever since. I can't see my micro planes when they're more than fifteen or twenty feet away. (That's why I gave up flying the big, heavy stuff.) Luckily, I have all of my experience and proper reflexes from the past, or I'd never keep these things in the air. I have very good hearing, and I fly mostly by sound. It works great with some aircraft, but others sound the same from any angle. That's why I have to sell my Bravo SX. I love it, but I can't tell orientation on it.

"I may be blind, but I 'ave accute 'earing." - blind snitch in Yellowbeard

Rick
Ricomon is offline Find More Posts by Ricomon
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:25 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOz View Post
- The second (tail) switch really only needs to be rated at 5A max (but I use Hard Disk extender cable plugs/sockets instead)
- 'The Rx' is normally considered to be the whole PCB - though technically, I suppose it's really just the little PCB under the main one.
- I still use the stock blades on my 45/450s - so you sure can!
- You CAN use the stock battery with no probs, but performance and endurance will improve considerably if you upgrade to the ones on my blog
Regards
John
Great info John, thanks. I reckon I can do the job now once my parts arrive. Now that I know what the RX is I do have another couple of small issues.

zdawg said he puts his ESC through one switch and his tail motor and RX through another. The ESC is to leave it out of the equation til the heli is powered up and bound, but is there really any need to switch the tail motor and RX as well? (see post #6153 with pics) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...blade&page=411

If so then I'd have to run the + lead of the female jst battery connector through the switch to include the RX?

... and finally (I hope): to have a light showing whether the switch is on or off I would imagine I just wire it in series with the switch... right?

Well the wind is down right now, but I don't want to take a chance with my last F645 in case it gusts, so I'm off to give my red/white V911 some fresh air for the first time. Gotta fly SOMETHING today

Catch you later
Fin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:29 AM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Elo guys, does anyone know a tutorial how to set throttle range on a HobbyKing SS 18-20A ESC? Thanks!
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Last edited by Zarrick; Feb 10, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:37 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
455 Posts
Quote:
... and finally (I hope): to have a light showing whether the switch is on or off I would imagine I just wire it in series with the switch... right?
Just use a lighted switch. They have an LED built in to show when they are powered. About $3 at any electronics/ hardware store.

I so much wish my EH200 would come in. I'm falling behind on the mod! LOL
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:17 AM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinnc View Post
Just use a lighted switch. They have an LED built in to show when they are powered. About $3 at any electronics/ hardware store.

I so much wish my EH200 would come in. I'm falling behind on the mod! LOL
One cut less to make and 2 joints less to solder... that'll do me nicely buddy .

I've asked HK to delay your order so I can get in there first .

Cheers
Fin

I've actually almost been thinking about getting a 2nd generation F645 to use for the mod and do away with the need for powering up the ESC separately. I've read recently that the 2nd generation had less play in the swash (tail bob problem) but am not sure if, apart from the old PCB maybe not being available soon, there are actually any disadvantages compared with the 3rd generation, flat gyro birds.

Any thoughts gents?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:27 AM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
859 Posts
Quote:
One cut less to make and 2 joints less to solder... that'll do me nicely buddy .

I've asked HK to delay your order so I can get in there first .

Cheers
Fin

I've actually almost been thinking about getting a 2nd generation F645 to use for the mod and do away with the need for powering up the ESC separately. I've read recently that the 2nd generation had less play in the swash (tail bob problem) but am not sure if, apart from the old PCB maybe not being available soon, there are actually any disadvantages compared with the 3rd generation, flat gyro birds.

Any thoughts gents?
Well Fin.
Ya know how mine flys.
floats in the air like its on a string and mine is a flat gyro 1
Just depends on how ya adjust trims and tweek the swashplate.

Workin on a brushed motor for this F-45, maybe a b/l killer motor lol

Fin, just let me know if ya have any probs dude, Ill be more than happy to help ya Ya can buy me a BEER after we are done, (or while we work) lol toasted 45 flyers, (hmmm, which way did it go now )

Frank
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:32 AM
Goooo!!!! Get to da choppa!!!!
United States, NC, Albemarle
Joined Jan 2013
455 Posts
Quote:
I've asked HK to delay your order so I can get in there first
ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH! LMAO

TBH, if you get yours first I can just follow your progress without any bugs to work out LOL.

Quote:
I've actually almost been thinking about getting a 2nd generation F645 to use for the mod and do away with the need for powering up the ESC separately.
Since the PCBs are only about $10, I wonder if we can find a 1st or 2nd gen one to try...
kpinnc is offline Find More Posts by kpinnc
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:35 AM
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
OK arrowshooter, now I think you've got me REALLY confused, cos I'm only seeing part of a circuit here and I am a "bear of little brain", especially when it comes to electrics.

You have a male jst connector on the ESC battery wires, but the only female jst connector I see anywhere on the heli is to plug the battery in to. Do you have a female jst soldered onto the wires coming from under the battery terminals on the pcb?

If so, I have seen this solution already, but this is where zdawg has put a switch (which I also want to do) so that the ESC can be brought into the equation after powering up, as we are dealing with a new-style pcb. I'm also having trouble figuring where the other (male B1?) connector from the ESC is going to. Maybe this is somehow negating the need for a switch, but I'm afraid I just can't see it.

If you could set me straight on this I'd really appreciate it .

Before anyone kicks in with new suggestions that confuse me even more ( I HAVE tried to make it clear just how inexperienced I am in this area) I'd appreciate any comments on whether what I described in my post would work, if not, what needs to be changed and, if yes, things that could be changed within that framework to make it easier/better.

Yours confusedly
Fin
Maybe this will help. If you want to use a switch, I circled where you should put it. I just plug the deans in to power up.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Last edited by arrowshooter; Feb 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM.